Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_204521890

concealed hinges for closet?

4 years ago

We are getting closet doors (there is no door and it is currently open so starting this one closet from scratch). Has anyone done this for a closet door? I’m feeling like it would be nice to have it be a little more modern and so I don’t need to worry about matching the door handles to the hinges. But I also assume it’s easy to change hinge color later and might look funny if my room/entrance doors don’t have concealed hinges? Oddly whoever put my original doors on before i moved painted all the hinges. Thoughts?

Comments (8)

  • 4 years ago

    Yes I have done concealed hinges for closets. Euro hinges like on a cabinet, pivot hinges, and soss-style hinges, depending on conditions, how far the door needed to open, and how much I wanted to spend. It does not matter if the room doors have hinges.

  • 4 years ago

    Does using a concealed hing mean that you can’t open the door as much?

  • 4 years ago

    Cabin style hinges usually stop at about 110 120 degrees. The others can go 180 or against the same wall as the door is

  • 4 years ago

    Thanks for the info! More helpful than the guys at the store lol. This is probably a dumb question, but any reason in particular you would need a door to open all the way like that for a closet?

  • 4 years ago

    It depends on the situation and whether the closet door sometimes stays open.

  • 4 years ago

    Picture of the opening?

    If this is a normal closet door situation with a walk-through-able door, you want standard butt door hinges. Butt hinges are available in several different finishes to match door hardware. Butt hinges can be changed out if you later want to change hardware finishes, usually with minimal effort.

    The Blum type Euro concealed hinge is not designed for this application. Starting with doors are inset into a frame...normal application for Euro hinges is for cabinet doors that overlay the box or frame. Euro hinges are designed for cabinetry with the expected almost furniture like close tolerances. Euro hinges have limited degrees of opening swing. And Euro hinges protrude into the space & be a potential clothes grabber, skin scraper...(except for the compact hinges which definitely are not suitable for a closet door).

    There is a photo on this forum from a few weeks back. Documenting how an attempt to use concealed Euro hinges on a pass thru door had gone wrong. Consensus was 'wrong hinges for the application'.

    Lastly, standard butt hinges for doors will last generations; changing them is not difficult. Zero guess work getting a replacement if you want a new finish. Vs using a complex hinging that will last, at best, a few years in a situation the hinge was not designed for and present challenges in obtaining the correct replacement.


  • 4 years ago

    I love the look (or non-look, actually) of hidden hinges. Beware, good hardware and install are expensive.

  • 4 years ago

    There is nothing wrong with a hidden hinge system on a swinging door, if that's what you want. But it requires a special jamb, special hinges and someone who will take the time to do a good install. This installation probably has RocYork or Soss hinges. The two companies that I am aware of that make these systems for the US are EZYJamb and FryReglet. It's expensive compared to regular door systems in cost and labor.


    I don't want to make any assumptions about your budget, but the system shown in the picture below is an expensive option.


    The closet where I uses the Euro hinges like on a kitchen cabinet was a shallow reach-in utility closet that was not opened and closed on a daily basis, and it was in an awkward location so I wanted to minimize it. That is the only time I would use a cabinet hinge for something like this.


    *However a number of kitchen cabinet companies are now including "hidden pantry" type things where it looks like a cabinet but you walk through into a pantry or rear kitchen. Maybe whatever sorts of hinges they use for them would work. I personally would want something other than a cabinet hinge if I were going in and out all the time.



    The above requires this sort of hinge mortised into the door. These hinges should also probablly last forever under normal use. But they are expensive, this particular size of this hinge is probably $120-150. A very high quality butt hinge might be $25-35.


    Here is a walk-in pantry. This is all the further these hinges open, so I would consider these doors "in the way". Actually in my upcoming kitchen I am using old school exposed hinges on my kitchen cabinets because I don't care much for Euro style cabinet hinges. They need to be adjusted in use, and in one of my workplace settings they have continual problems with the hinges going out of adjustment or breaking because of the weight of the doors.