Software
Houzz Logo Print
straightup

Small narrow backyard

4 years ago

We have a very small backyard (13’x43’) and i am not sure how to make it look like a small oasis. Currently my plan is to get rid of the asphalt and add grass.

Comments (82)

  • 4 years ago

    Are you in Vancouver?

  • 4 years ago

    Wow that looks so much better! Your fence looks great!

  • 4 years ago

    Following to see how your project turns out.

    Small gardens can look so good.

  • 4 years ago

    @westcoast hopeful yes I am from Vancouver

    I like my new fence but seeing it without fence for so long now it feels even more smaller. I would love to hear your ideas for plants

  • 4 years ago

    Once you get it cleaned up and plants and pavers in, it will seem bigger because your eye will have more to look at.

  • 4 years ago

    Do your first plan with some grass and some pavers. Can you afford artificial turf? It’s a small spot and chafer Beatles are brutal in Vancouver. Also less care once in. We don’t stain our fences. Yes they weather over time but who cares.

  • 4 years ago

    Grass needs sun to grow, Long solid shadows will be cast by your tall fence on one side and the house on the other. I'd pave as much as possible and concentrate on shade-loving plants. If you use sod, choose a type that has more shade-tolerant grasses.

    https://bcinstantlawns.com/what-is-the-best-grass-type-for-a-vancouver-lawn/

    https://westcoastgardens.ca/our-resources/perennials-for-shady-spots-in-the-garden

    https://vancouversun.com/homes/gardening/brian-minter-the-best-plants-for-shaded-areas

  • 4 years ago

    @Partim they list ripped open pavement

  • 4 years ago

    Obviously, I know nothing about your climate, but I do know about tiny gardens. Mine is about the same size. I would not recommend grass because, apart from possible shade issues, it will be subject to heavy foot traffic. In summer it will be worn down to hard earth and winter it will be mud. I hate artificial grass so I’d pave it and plant as partim recommends.



  • 4 years ago

    floral what a lovely oasis.

  • 4 years ago

    People small yards with grass is extremely established in Vancouver. Shady yards too. Small and big yards. The climate here is four distinct seasons with rain in all so my concern would be to ensure that the area has sufficient drainage so water doesn’t pool. Beyond that grass or a similar alternative is awesome for families. OP we hired a landscaped designer to plan our spaces and we loved what she came up with. I can share her name if you like. She’s very creative and comes up with plants and a plan suited to the location specifically

  • 4 years ago

    @WestCoast Hopeful I am aware that the OP just ripped up her asphalt. By "pave as much as possible" I was referring to the 2 options that the OP presented about 10 days ago, and suggesting that she go with her first sketch which had more pavers and less grass.

  • 4 years ago

    @Westcoast hopeful yes please do share her name. I would definitely like some help with that

  • 4 years ago

    Some suggestions, lawn optional. I like the zig zag idea for making it appear wider.

  • 4 years ago

    Here is what i did in my front lawn.

    Before

  • 4 years ago

    Update pavers going in this week

  • 4 years ago

    What did you end up deciding to do for a layout? Looks like a great start.

  • 4 years ago

    This is the layout I am following. Still not sure about the plants against the fence instead of cedars

  • 4 years ago

    I would do yews not cedars.

  • 4 years ago

    Sneak peak 😊

  • 4 years ago

    Where is your sod from? A friend is struggling finding any after the floods

  • 4 years ago

    We have been waiting for sod for past 3 weeks as well. My landscaper finally went to North Vancouver to get it. I am not sure exactly he got it

  • 4 years ago

    The sod issue is real… but it makes me giggle because it sounds like another kind of “deal” and an unknown “source.” 😁

  • 4 years ago

    Goodness. You don’t hang around do you? Amazing progress in such a short time. I’d still be dithering...

  • 4 years ago

    Another kind of deal? 😳 what does that mean.

  • 4 years ago

    Don’t forget to get a permit for extra watering. New sod needs a lot and we are already at once a week restrictions.

  • 4 years ago

    I was just being silly, meant no harm. Your project is looking lovely!

  • 4 years ago

    Have you finished? I would like to see the pictures when you do.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I still want to do some final touches with the decor and lights but this is how it looks right now. We cant wait for a nice weather to sit outside and enjoy it.






  • 4 years ago

    Wow!! What a transformation!

  • 4 years ago

    Wow! That’s an amazing Before and After project. You did a beautiful job!

  • 4 years ago

    Thank you so much 😊 It’s a huge improvement from what it use to look like

  • 4 years ago

    Well done! I hope you can get out and enjoy it every chance you can!

  • 4 years ago

    Great job. Enjoy

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Lovely!

    You expressed concern earlier about your utility pole. In Toronto at least, it says right on the electrical utility's website that it's OK to paint all the utility boxes, conduit etc. as long as it doesn't cover the face of the meter. I painted mine dark brown and it looks so much better than the rusty light gray box and the white conduit pipes. It just disappears against my brick.

    Yours might look better a very dark green to blend in with the bushes beside it.

    I used a big piece of cardboard to mask the brick, and used an ultra-flat "camo" spray paint that is made to be very non-reflective and fade into the background. This one. I taped a circle of paper over the face of the meter to be sure it didn't get sprayed.

  • 4 years ago

    Thats good idea. Do you mind sharing a pic please

  • 4 years ago

    All the rain this year is helping your new lawn! I would check on the pole painting if it’s okay. I’ve never seen one painted locally.

  • 4 years ago

    Before and after painting.

  • 4 years ago

    That looks so much better after painting. Our pole is private so i highly doubt city would have an issue of us painting

  • 4 years ago

    Vancouver is notoriously invested in things that don’t matter.

  • 4 years ago

    Lol, west coast… I need to use that statement in grievance of my overzealous HOA.

  • 4 years ago

    Thanks for sharing and congratulations on your lovely new yard! I'm in the early stages of dreaming of doing something similar in my little 22' x 34' Toronto yard in the next couple of years and this is very inspiring.

  • 4 years ago

    I would say do it in stages it will be efficient

  • 3 years ago

    Nice job, Tee! I see you decided against a bamboo privacy screening? Or are the plants just young and I can't see them?

    Tee thanked kl23
  • 3 years ago

    Your “before and after” story is truly amazing. You had a terrific ability to visualize, for sure. The end result is fantastic!

  • 3 years ago

    @K L: no i decided not to put bambo because of the mess it can create and how fast it can spread out if planted in the ground so i went with cedar


    i am excited to add more flowers in the coming spring.


    i havent fixed my front lawn though. I really cant come up with the type of flowers and plants that would look nice

  • 3 years ago

    @RedRyder thank you 😊😊 i am really happy with how it all came together

  • 3 years ago

    @tee share the front lawn. I can give you names of stuff that has lasted for us for four years now and still going strong. The recent snow did a number on my magnolia though and it lost several branches

  • 3 years ago

    Thank you 😊 i will share once the snow melts but I wonder how my plants did with all the snow