Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashleynrtn

Current window prices

agbhw
2 years ago

I searched for real prices many times to get an idea of what they would cost while planning our house, but never found much. I thought it would be helpful to share this with someone out there doing the same thing I did. These are window prices I had quoted THIS week. I am located in the south.

1. Marvin
    The “Ultimate G2 double hung window” (it’s an all wood window with aluminum cladding on the exterior to protect it from the elements). At a size of roughly 3’x5’ with no exterior casing, it was $1354.30. The same exact window but with an exterior brick mold casing and subsill is $1738,40.

2. Kolbe
    The “Ultra Sterling double hung window” (Kolbe’s all wood window with aluminum clawing on the exterior) at the same size window as above including a brickmold exterior casing and subsill was $1974.74.

Hope this helps someone trying to just have an idea/rough range on how much windows may cost right now.

Comments (15)

• elcieg
    last year

We have a friend who got a quote for new windows for his home built in the 80's. Not replacements. 9 windows $30,000.00 Anderson 400 series. Terrible.

• millworkman
    last year

Yep, to echo WoW, Guardian announced between 20-40% on float glass, type and coating dependent, price increase from the fabricators still to be announced, right now they do not have their hard glass costs yet so they are basically they need to requote all but in production orders. This is all in addition to the 10% increase in the energy surcharge they all have that is currently in the 10-12% range.

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    last year

Its a moving target. Individual window prices can be misleading. Price the whole house w install. If you purchase from a big box don't forget delivery and loading them onto a project.

• Patrick A
    last year

Here's a sampling from my quote for doors and windows. Total price with install is $93,420. Hope this helps.

• chispa
    last year

Now I'm feeling pretty good about ordering Marvin windows in January 2021 !! I thought we were paying a lot for windows and slider then!

• Patrick A
    last year

@chispa - My original quote was almost double that amount for the 50+ windows/door in the build. Changing the mullion style, changing French doors to 4-panel sliders, and changing some of the double hung to casements got me back into budget.

Also, my pricing is discounted through the builder with no markup. So, a regular retail customer would likely pay more. I wish that I had known how expensive windows are upfront, I'd probably would have made different design decisions.

• 2rickies
    last year

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear windows are going up (no pun intended...)! That's one of our most $$ line items. I don't have windows broken out separately from exterior doors, the windows are all casement, and all the doors are glass or mostly glass. We have some sliding doors. We've since revised our design, so there are fewer windows (less of everything! the house is smaller), but now i wonder if it will matter, or the increase will make up the difference.

FWIW, we priced Marvin and Western Windows. Western was about 10% higher, but they give twice the warranty (20 yrs vs 10 for Marvin), and the exterior frame material is different. The Marvins would need to be painted on the exterior, but not the Westerns We're in a location where the weather will put a lot of stress on that paint. Anyway, given that fewer new buildings are being built, in a few months those prices may drop.

• Hemlock
    last year

Now I'm feeling pretty good about ordering Marvin windows in January 2021 !! I thought we were paying a lot for windows and slider then!

@chispa Now how is this helpful to the poster?

• chispa
    last year

@Hemlock, the original poster did not ask for answers. I thought I paid a lot in 2021, but prices have continued to rise. This forum is a back and forth exchange of experiences during building.

Is there a new forum content police?

• ferber
    last year

@2rickies Why would the Western windows not require painting? Aluminum material? Thanks!

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

I called my government and ask them about their monetary policy and they told me to send them all that I have.

• 2rickies
    last year

@ferber yes, they're aluminum.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    last year

@Mark Bischak, Architect

I am surprised they didn't make you fill out a massive IOU like they have...on your children and grandchildren's behalf.

Good thing they are going to forgive a bunch of student debt though.