Software
Houzz Logo Print
carolynmichael_rice

What would you do?

We are buying this cute house in a beauiful neighborhood. What would you do to give it a facelift? my son wants to do an arbor over the front entry. Any other ideas? its in a charming historic southern neighborhood.


Comments (21)

  • 4 years ago

    I second genuine shutter of proper width. It's got a lot of charm already

    CarolynMichael Rice thanked palimpsest
  • 4 years ago

    I agree with tweaking the shutters. Maybe upgrade the railing, which looks like a quick fix made of wood.

    CarolynMichael Rice thanked Marci
  • PRO
    4 years ago

    I would paint the shutters, change the columns and really create a front porch. That's the one thing I love about those southern country homes - a nice front porch - railing and a swing! Expand it if you need to .

    Cute house!



    Good luck!

    CarolynMichael Rice thanked Debbi Washburn
  • 4 years ago

    So cute! Agree with getting properly sized shutters with the hardware. Correct size means each shutter is half the window’s width.

    CarolynMichael Rice thanked chloebud
  • 4 years ago

    How could you put an arbor over the front door? It looks like there is already a roof over it.

  • 4 years ago

    It might be nice to match your paneled front door with paneled shutters for consistency and also raise them up to the bottom of the window as opposed to the bottom of the ledge as yours currently are so you can show off that pretty ledge. A couple window box's would add lots of charm and good height for maintenance as well. Painting the front door and shutters the same color would look good as well, and agree with the light blue idea as it has a fresher feel than the standard black. Cute house, it doesn't need much!




    CarolynMichael Rice thanked hu818472722
  • 4 years ago

    Congrats! Your house is lovely! The addition of dormers and the Georgian columns make it seem like a MCM Cape Cod and less of a colonial Cape. Blue door, slightly darker shutters? That Said, see this pic of a Cape with shutters, etc.


    Source: https://www.thoughtco.com/photo-gallery-of-cape-cod-houses-4065249

    CarolynMichael Rice thanked apb0
  • 4 years ago

    I think i would remove the trees…flatten out the grass areas…and move toward a more controlled / balanced landscape…on the same scale as the house…a few evergreen elements that will look pretty in winter as well as summer…and a place to add annuals for summer flowers

    CarolynMichael Rice thanked btydrvn
  • 4 years ago

    If there is space …this looks like a house that could have a little picket fence…and maybe tall slim junipers at each end of the house beside the windows…

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Enlarge the front stoop x2… enough so you can put a couple really great chairs under right window, 2 big beautiful pots on either side of door and expand the width of the columns. Add railing on both sides of stoop but not on front. Yes to shutters as well

    CarolynMichael Rice thanked Interiors by MP
  • 4 years ago

    I think shutters are not needed..keeping the house simpler… the posts..and the porch are in scale with the house as is…

  • 4 years ago

    I would also add color to the house but leave all the trim white

  • 4 years ago

    judianna20 and I are on the same page. It immediately came to mind. Likely the shutter color is Sea Salt.


    New Orleans Charm with a Private Courtyard · More Info


  • 4 years ago

    Keep the trees! I think it's a great house, not at all in need of a "facelift". Paint or chznge the shutters, if you like. Possibly trim back the biggest tree. But, really, congratulate your son on his lovely house.

  • 4 years ago

    Very cute already. You could jazz up the walkway with some fancy pavers or stones. Add some window boxes with pop of color flowers. Could swap the door for a 3/4 lite or full lite panel to bring in some more sun. Maybe add a 3-4 evergreen on each side for structure. Some new boxwoods if you want. Or a hydrangea or two for additional color. Lots of little ideas come to mind

  • 4 years ago

    I agree with others about replacing the shutters with working ones that fit the windows properly. It’s hard to tell in the photo, but it looks like there is a handrail of sorts wot the left of the door, which doesn’t work well with the style of the house. If a handrail is necessary, make sure it is in keeping with the rest of the trim and details on the house. I don’t recommend an arbor by the door. I think it will close off your very welcoming main door. Instead, I would pay attention this year to the landscaping. See what is there, what works, then plan on focusing on that next summer. Enjoy your house - it’s beautiful!

  • 4 years ago

    I agree with those who suggested correctly sized shutters in a soft green. Mostly, I would up the charm with the landscaping. Colorful window boxes, bright pink annuals along the walk, hydrangea bushes in front, etc. This house screams “adorable” and over-doing it will make it look heavy.

    It’s sweet as is. Focus on the landscaping.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    A front door/lage lighting can have a huge impact visually and will also create an entrance that is more welcoming. I’d definitely use larger square columns and wait on the shutters, as it’s an easy decision once entrance is updated when you have a better sense of style and balance. I love the look below.


    In regards to gardening, take a picture of the house, have a budget in mind, consider level of maintenance interested in, and then head to a nursery for suggestions.

  • PRO
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    What a cute house! Still in sale. It has arbors on a backyard. Why you need an arbor in front if house has two one on back yard?


  • 4 years ago

    Can you remove the hand rail? I’m not sure I understand it - it goes across the porch and down the step? What is it attached to? I would box the round pillars. No need for 2 lights flanking the door plus the overhead light. Choose. And maybe something different with the house numbers - it’s a bit crowded there. Ditto on removing the big tree, it’s outgrown the space. Wonderful house!!