Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westes

Could We Add Protea Section to Gardenweb Section?

westes Zone 9b California SF Bay
last year
last modified: last year

Protea and Leucadendron are genera with many similarities and very specific and unusual growing requirements. Could we add a plant-type group named "Protea" here?

Comments (12)

• westes Zone 9b California SF Bay
    Original Author
    last year

So where are all the Protea enthusiasts?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

Why cannot this topic be adequately discussed in the SA Native Plants forum?

Obviously, enthusiasts are not stampeding to post so there cannot be all that many. And with well over a 100 garden-related forums, many of them rarely ever visited, it doesn't make much sense to add yet another for what looks to be minimal activity as well.

Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Protea is very much a specialized genus. It has many variations like Clematis. It makes such a spectacular and unique flower, and it also has unique soil requirements. It more than deserves its own category. In Australia, this plant is worshipped. Finally, almost no one who wants to find this plant would think to look in South African Native Plants, and even if they did they would never find the category here.

• Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
    last year

Good luck with that. This site just don't care. Several here tried to get a Haworthia section, never happened. Myself, an Agave section. Guess I have to be happy that in the beginning they started with a Sanevieria which some don't have.

westes Zone 9b California SF Bay thanked Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6
  • wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    last year

If we devide too much , we will just disappear. I would look for proteas in the South African forum and the Hawaiian forum. The guys on Mauii grow a lot of them.

westes Zone 9b California SF Bay thanked wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    last year

I remember when there was so many postings on here that some thing you posted would end up in page 3 in a day or so. Seems every body got smarter or nobody post much.

But when you see hundreds of comments on a signal post, that tells you something. When more post are in a subject then the actual forum, that should be another forum.

last year

The other web site a lot of us are at (National Garden Assc.) does the same thing. They refuse to put a new forum in. One post on Sansevieria that I started in House Plants I think has more than 3600 post. Still they refuse to put Sans into it's own forum.

Original Author
    last year

@Stush2049 Pitts. PA, zone 6 Is that Garden DOT Org? I use FB, but the quality is generally really really low

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    last year

For the record…

I did a search for ”Protea” and found just 426 post going back 22 years.

I also recall the Heuchera forum starting around 2010 as the last forum started.

tj

westes Zone 9b California SF Bay thanked tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    last year

Westes, Yes that's the one. I use my computer and not phone to log on. Can post with as many pictures as you like and hi res. I think FB is taking over where this started. Can find almost anything of interest and that's were all the exerts have gone. I am on 'Mangave', 'Agave', and 'Sansevieria'. I hate all the sellers from overseas that post on there.

• niksouthafrica
    last year

Most people are using FB groups these days. The plant groups are about the only reason I use FB and I find the local groups helpful and one or two excellent international groups although there's a lot of general ignorance in FB land too.

Having said that: even here, in their native land, proteas are difficult. Their soil requirements are very specific, even getting seeds to germinate needs particular methods and Rule 1 is never disturb the roots because we are now starting to understand their relationships with symbiotic fungi so that's a big reason why you won't get many growers worldwide.

westes Zone 9b California SF Bay thanked niksouthafrica
Sponsored
Pioneers Kitchen and Bath LLC.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Loudoun County's Professional Kitchen & Bath Remodelers