Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_812939159

Landscaping ideas/advice!

R Tro
last year

Hello just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for our landscaping! We will be hydromulching and seeding fescue in the coming weeks and wanted advice for some landscaping in the front. Low maintenance would probably be best since we already have lots of land to maintain. I am thinking we will need paver and I like the idea of black stone. All ideas welcome.

Thanks In advance!

Comments (3)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    last year

Start with tree placement. Some distance from the house you should have large trees to the east/southeast for protection from morning sun. More important, large trees to the west/southwest for shade from the hottest sun of the day. Closer to the house also east/southeast and west/southwest plan groupings of smaller trees. We have no idea where you are, but where I live choices would include Cornus (dogwood), Cercis (Redbud), Amelanchier (Service), Halesia (Carolina silverbells), Cotinus obovatus (Smoke Tree --not smokebush).

• mindshift
    last year

Agree that trees should be number one on your list. The sooner they get planted the sooner you will have shade. I live in a hot summer climate and find deciduous trees to the south and southwest to be most helpful shading the house during summer. Trees should be planted at least 20 feet from your house, but its safer to consider the ultimate size of a tree. For instance, at maturity a Shumard oak can have a trunk 3 to 4 feet thick so it should be planted at least 30 feet away from the house. If you are subject to continuous high winds you may want a thick windbreak of trees and bushes on the windward side. HERE is an article with more info on trees.

Shrubs are also important, providing shelter from wind and privacy from neighbors. Visit a local nursery (not a big box store) and talk with those who know which plants will grow best in your climate and soil. As with trees, pay attention to the mature height and width listed on nursery tags. Don't place tall shrubs under windows. Remember that the term dwarf only means smaller than the species so a dwarf could still get quite large. If a shrub will eventually grow 5 feet wide do not plant it closer than 3 feet to a wall, fence or pathway. Keep in mind that a 5-foot shrub requires a 5-foot wide bed. Everything will be small when you first plant it. Allow plenty of room to grow. Fill in the bare spots with annuals for the first several years.

When deciding where to place plants across the front of your home place small trees in front of bare areas (centered between the gables on the left) and to repeat shrub shapes and colors from one side to the other. Use the same repetition with perennials. Group smaller shrubs and perennials in 3s and 5s. The layout does NOT have to be symmetrical, but there should be a balance. Try also to place plants with similar water needs next to each other.

• R Tro
    Original Author
    last year

Mindshift thank you so much for all of this information! Any tree suggestions for between the gables?