Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brian_bartiss

Wood floor/ceiling color help

Brian Bartiss
last year

Hi, I just bought a house in upstate NY (fixer upper with charm). I’m going to tackle our living room first. I wanted to install a tounge and groove ceiling and am going to rip up the carpet and restain the floors. I keep going back and forth between what color to stain the tongue and groove ceiling and floor. Orignally was thinking an ebony floor and medium color ceiling but would that be too dark? floor is douglass fir throughout if helpful

also what to do with the trim? paint, keep as is or restain. I love the wood trim but dont like the redish color.

also any general ideas are greatly appreciated. Lights are going too. thanks thanks!

Comments (32)

• Brian Bartiss
    Original Author
    last year

these were the colors i was thinking about for the floor and ceiling

• apple_pie_order
    last year

Congratulations on your new place. Douglas fir floors are beautiful in a natural finish that shows their character without stain. I suggest you remove the carpet, sand the floors, then try some finishes in one-foot square areas. Ebony floors show every bit of dust and pet hair. If you choose very dark floors, plan to run a robo vac every day.

Close up photos of the trim would show what kind of condition it's in- fairly pristine or dinged up.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

IMO in that space I would not do a wood ceiling at all so I have no idea that is one small cave already IMO a drywall smooth ceiling and the ebony floors could be amazing but I sure would not mix ebony flooring with any other wood on the ceiling. I need to know what your style is and BTW I love dark floors and swiffer becomes your best friend .

Brian Bartiss thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • T Jarmuth
    last year

The paneled ceiling (current) looks more Tudor. The t&g wood slats will look more cabin-like. What style and look are you trying to achieve?

• Brian Bartiss
    Original Author
    last year

It actually is a cabin and wanted to get rid of the tudor. im going more for a modern cabin look and feel

• Brian Bartiss
    Original Author
    last year

Trim is about 60 years old haha it has dings but in good condition overall and is polyurathaned. i did think of that ”cave” look but have seen amazing results of pitched ceilings with t&g. i want the colors to compliment well with white walls

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

I would match the floor stain to the trim and doors and do a drywall ceiling in a warm white. Then change wall color to something that works with your fabrics/textiles. Clean the fireplace and have it checked by a pro for safety. It may never have been swept.

• happyleg
    last year

You could leave your wood ceiling and have mahogany floors

• Brian Bartiss
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks love that idea! the chimney is covered by the wall but it does go up haha

• elcieg
    last year
    last modified: last year

Then why not expose the rest of the chimney? Rip off what is covering it.

• Brian Bartiss
    Original Author
    last year

I cant believe i never thought of that!

• beanym
    last year

Congratulations on your home! Do you know what’s under the ceiling overlay? I would definitely open up that wonderful fireplace to the full height and get it a good cleaning to brighten the stone. Personally I wouldn’t go with a dark stain, something warm and mid tone, and keep a low gloss finish. It’s a long room and you don’t want it to look like a bowling alley. As for the wall colors, keep it light, maybe the grout color once the fireplace stone is cleaned? Looks like a fun project!

• terrib962
    last year

Classics never go out of style. Stain the floor a light brown natural color, or no stain - just finish. Paint the ceiling white. Trendy decorating looks a bit funky in a few years - like green frig, etc. Go with basics and use color in your decor that can be changed over time (sofa fabric, pillows, art on walls).

• Lizzy L.
    last year

Paint the ceiling and all the trim white. Do not go darker on the floor. If possible, go lighter. For window treatments, get a longer rod so it can be hung properly. You will need longer curtains, as well.

• Donna Collins
    last year

We had a farmhouse with douglas fir floors. They were beautiful and felt great underfoot. One thing to keep in mind, though. Fir is a soft wood that scratches easily. If you have pets or anyone who wears either high heels or shoes with tread that picks up pebbles I would consider going with a natural finish, rather than ebony. A very dark stain that got scratched or nicked would almost certainly show the original (much lighter) natural color.

I love wood ceilings... I'm sitting in a room with hemlock T&G right now! As long as you keep the color light and natural, I think the wood run across the width of the room could make your livingroom look wider.

It looks like your trim may have shellac on it, which becomes very amber with age. Either that or someone really liked that dark red stain. If you'd like to keep the natural wood trim but don't like the red, I think you're probably looking a a finish removal job. If you're DIY-ing and don't mind spending a lot of time, you could probably get some good results, but you might find hiring someone to do that work is cost-prohibitive.

• nancytheothersadie
    last year

The dark color on the ceiling will “bring down“ the ceiling, enclosing room. paint the ceiling light color, walls light color, wood work light (maybe install higher baseboards), and make the beautiful fireplace the focal point. earthly woods and natural fabrics for decoration. wood floors are nice too, but not too dark.

• Linda Mailhot
    last year

I would match ceiling and floor as close as possible. I would paint the trim. You may want to consider leaving the window sashes only in the wood stain as shown in one of the photos.

• S Kinkaid
    last year

We have pine T&G ceiling and white oak floors. They are not stained the same color but ended up looking similar.

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year

I think the room would be brighter with a white ceiling, doesn't look like the few windows there let much light inside the room. Here are a few picture of a cottage with the same type of ceiling your already have simply painted white and it looks good!

• skyarts
    last year

Dark wood ceilings are lovely when lofty, but can be a bit overbearing when only a standard height. One compromise might be to white wash, so you have the lovely warm organic texture of wood without the heaviness.

• slab
    last year

I would open up the fireplace so it shows all to the ceiling. Right now it is cut off and makes the ceiling shorter than it really it.
    There is enough wood as it is. I would drywall the ceiling and paint the ceiling and walls a warm white. Remove the carpets and go with your original plan for the floor. The room will look taller, larger and brighter.

• paddlerchick
    last year

If possible, dry wall the ceiling and paint it white and the same as the walls. Put some wood beams going across the room and stain the same color as the floor. The white ceiling opens up the room and the beams tie it into the floor.

• happyleg
    last year

Any updates?

• Brian Bartiss
    Original Author
    last year

Quick update, floors are done. next are the walls. i actually likethe original ceiling now. thinking about keeping it as it. the floors really brightened up the room but well see

• Brian Bartiss
    Original Author
    last year

Went with a matte finish

• T Jarmuth
    last year

That looks fabulous! Baby steps…

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    last year

Would suggest painting the trim a crisp white. Might also suggest painting the ceiling white as well. The new flooring and ceiling colors are discordant to me. Even if the ceiling panels are hardwood plywood they it doesn't appear so appealing that it would be ruined with paint. Good luck!

• Brian Bartiss
    Original Author
    last year

Baby steps indeed haha

• Dana Veach
    last year

Your floors look fabulous...great job! Whatever color you decide to do on the ceiling, I like your original idea of tongue and groove. I think the contrast of direction of lateral tongue and groove planking with the linear floor planks could give some nice "movement" to your space, drawing the viewer's eye upward and providing a sense of a less "static" space ...one that is less "heavy" ...more "rustic with a touch of elegance" than "Tudor." Definitely uncover the rest of that stone chimney...that would also draw the eyes upward. It's always difficult to sort through the opinions of others, because we all tend to have different filters and preferences. I think you seem to have some good instincts...you chose this space, after all, and you have the bones of a great room. Take the time to figure out what you ultimately are shooting for and run with it. and congratulations on a house with great bones!

• PRO
    Bergen Furniture & Design
    last year

Stain the tongue and groove ceiling and floor with the gray hue. Also, certainly paint the trim a light brown color.

• ptreckel
    last year

Love how it looks NOW. Keep the ceiling as it is. Trim as it is. Just paint the walls white. The floors look FABULOUS.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional