Software
Houzz Logo Print
mickeee

Need help with livingroom

13 years ago
I know my livingroom is outdated but I love my sofa. Do you have any suggestions for updating my room yet keeping my sofa? Or, should I just start from scratch? Thank you!

Comments (257)

  • 13 years ago
    Hi Catherine, thanks for joining the conversation. The sofa and chairs are out from the wall/windows because I had always read that furniture should not line the walls. Maybe I've pulled the furniture too far away??? The designer didn't mention anything about furniture placement; but I also didn't specifically ask about it. I'm really open to suggestions, especially the reversible ones (ha ha), so I'll try moving the furniture back a bit to see if that helps. Houzzers have posted such great suggestions. I'm just having some difficulty finding the right elements to put them in place. I too loved the Ostrich picture but couldn't find anything similar that was big enough. Things are feeling a bit piece meal at this point. I have a feeling my new sofa will be here before I get a chance to find a look that works with my beloved striped sofa :( Oh, and I don't think I ever explained what I like about it...I love the colors and the formal, albeit dated, Damask fabric, and I like the classic styling. I don't think the pictures I've posted do it justice because the colors look dull with my lighting.
    With nothing to lose, I'm going to paint the round wood tables.
    Thanks for keeping up with my long, twisty-turny thread. It now has more subplots than a bad soap opera!
  • 13 years ago
    Hi All, as the finish on one round, wood table (posted earlier with the tall, clear lamps) is ruined, I'm going to experiment and paint both tables. Do you recommend a high gloss or Annie Sloan Chalk Paint? Also, suggestions for color - gray or blue, or something else? Thanks so very much!
  • 13 years ago
    Actually, I thought of the grey tables with your new sofa in mind. I took a look back at your original living room and what I like about it is that the scale of all of your pieces works well together. It was a nice, comfortable space. You did a great job back when that was in style! I agree, you don't want to line the walls. But, you won't be by moving the sofa back. I am enjoying reading all of the comments and following your decorating fun!
  • 13 years ago
    Another option for the damaged tables would be to have a piece of marble or mirror cut to size to fit the top. I am seeing a lot of antiqued mirror being used lately. Or, like one of the tables you pictured early on, paint just the top. But, if you are planning on buying new tables when you get your new sofa, then I'd just bring back your old tables and lamps and wait it out.

    Since you said that you like the formality of your old sofa, I would suggest that you try looking for a picture that has a substantial frame for over your sofa. It will be more expensive, but you will be happier with the result.
    In fact, you might be able to have the mirror removed from the frame you used to have over the sofa. You could paint that frame or leave it gold if you like it and have a print that you like mounted in it. But definitely, if you are going for a formal look, you want framed artwork.
  • 12 years ago
    Where is the rest of this thread????? I am with bated breath to see more and the end results. Did you start a new thread Mickeee?
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Golfer, I didn't start a new thread. I'm finishing up the room now and will post pictures after it's painted.
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Houzzers, here's an update...so the new sofa arrived BUT in the wrong fabric (salesperson's error)! However, they are willing to let me keep it for a substantial discount, take the floor model (my color in a similar fabric) again with a substantial discount, or just reorder the original sofa I wanted. Hubby loves the new sofa and fabric. He wants to keep it and put it in the family room. He never did quite get buying new for the living room which is much less frequently used than family room. I'm tempted to go along with hubby this time. The family room was next on my list to redecorate so I possibly have a head start at a substantial savings! So, what to do now...I'm starting a new thread to finally finish the living room using that old, beloved sofa, ha ha. And when I save a few more dollars, I'll post the family room for suggestions there. Tomorrow, I'll take pictures of the "updated thus far" LR and post. When I do, I'll add the link to the new thread to this one. Please, please come back and offer feedback. I think you'll see I incorporated lots of your suggestions :) I finally found new side tables that I really like, woo hoo! Again, my sincerest thanks to all who have followed and offered assistance. I love this community! So glad I found it!!!
  • 12 years ago
    Can't wait Mickee.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    You're turning lemons into lemonade. Glad it's working out. You've been fun to work with, considering all suggestions and up for trying almost anything. Looking forward to your next post with your current pretty sofa.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks Rosemary and Maguire for your encouragement and suggestions. Houzz is great place place because of folks like you. Ps, Maguire I miss your smiling face on your icon or whatever it's called.
  • 12 years ago
    My apologies, no pictures yet. My phone (and camera source) had an encounter with a S'mores shake. Alas, it did not end well for the phone.
  • 12 years ago
    Ok, got a new phone. This pic is really dark because it's cloudy today. But, it gives you a look at the changes thus far. The taped color on the wall is SW Latte, recommended by the color expert. I don't like it at all!!!! Way too dark and muddy looking. Any suggestions? I know the lamps are matchy, matchy but wanted to give it a try. They are going back...I don't like them. I'm trying to find something along the lines of what Maguire suggested, just no luck so far. I can find the style but not the right size.
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Houzzers, I want to get the wing chairs reupholstered. Originally was going to put them in the dining room but they look too big next to the other dining chairs. Any suggestions for color and fabric? I'm guessing a neutral might be best with the printed couch. What do you think of the tables?
  • 12 years ago
    One more thing, the artificial plant is being replaced with a plant. I want a fiddle leaf fig but my local florist can't find one from their supplier. I'm still on the hunt.
  • 12 years ago
    " live plant"
  • 12 years ago
    Oh it's looking good Mickeee, check out lampsplus.com for ideas. From the photo, The lamps that are going back seem too high so measure them first so you will have better idea of the right size. Too difficult to see the paint color but if you don't like it, that's all the matters.
  • 12 years ago
    Have you looked at lighter shades on the same color strip as the SW Latte? Might find one you like better but keep within the range she determined for you. Is this the sofa or are you waiting for a new one to be delivered? I think we should wait until it gets there to make a fabric selection for the chairs.
  • 12 years ago
    Love the painting above the couch.
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Rosemary, thanks for your comments and suggestions. I love the painting too. It's especially gorgeous when there's some sunlight. I'll check out lamps plus.com. Do you know the rule of thumb for selecting the height of table lamps? I got the same height as my original lamps; but, duh! Forgot these tables are higher. What do you think of the tables? Honest feedback please.
  • 12 years ago
    Hi decoenthusiste, thanks for following my dilemma and offering feedback. It is much appreciated. My striped sofa is staying. I did get a new sofa but, long story short, it ended up in the family room. I took your suggestion and am looking at the other colors on the strip with Latte. I'll also check into a darker version of whats currently on the wall. I don't know the name but I still have an old paint can with the formula.
  • 12 years ago
    Big pieces in the room should be solid, save the patterns for your side chairs. It's too matchy matchy with the tables. I think you need to start from scratch if possible, sorry
  • 12 years ago
    Neutrals are a safe choice on the chairs, but any of the colours in the sofa might be used. Darker variations of those shades would look nice,too.
    You might also take a look at re-using your original lamps, w new shades.
    Are you settled on a matching pair of end tables, or would you consider a smaller one by the entrance? A slightly smaller round version by the door would look well. In either event, The seating needs to tighten to the left a few inches.
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Studio, I'm not locked into the matching end tables. Previously, I had tried to go with unmatched tables. I ended up matching by default because I didn't have an eye for what looked good and didn't match :(
  • 12 years ago
    I was going to suggest using the lamps you had and changing out the shades to a round/drum shape, it will take some pressure off of you. Change out a shade from the new lamps and try one on your old lamp to get the feel of it. You just might like them with a new shade, you can always paint the old lamps too-I've done that before. You're doing great.
  • 12 years ago
    It can be trick to find things at retail in my area,too. The table you showed on Sept. 27 looks like the right type - round w metal legs. Nice to see the updates!
  • 12 years ago
    Rosemary, I tried a few different shades on my original lamps but haven't come across anything I think looked right. I'll take them to the lighting store and see what they come up with. Fingers crossed :)
  • 12 years ago
    Studio, I still have the round table with metal legs from Sept. 27. I'll put it back, see what it looks like with one glass topped table and take a pic tomorrow.
  • 12 years ago
    Rosemary, and yes, I'll try the old lamp with the shade from the new lamp. I'll post a pic tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • 12 years ago
    I think the tables you have shown last are too high, thus making the lamps too high. Plus, they look unsubstantial. Look for wood, maybe a round one and a square or rectangular one. They don't have to match, but should have some cohesiveness of style, i.e. legs, wood finish, top finish, etc. As far as new fabric for the wing chairs, it depends on whether you want to lighten up the space (if you go with a darker paint color, for instance) or brighten it up. I see there is a maroon stripe in your sofa fabric as well as the blue. What about a tweed fabric with all those colors in it? I've been looking online for tweeds, not finding much that looks promising. I did find these you might want to consider:
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for the fabric selections Nancy. I really like the 2nd one. Do you remember the source?
  • 12 years ago
    It is a Pindler and Pindler fabric on http://www.onlinefabricstore.net/
    9561_fawn_1
  • 12 years ago
    Love the tables ... white wash queen anne i have something like them but i would like more.. i would keep them and the couch. on the coffee table it has to many things its taking away from the table and the couch.. the mirror looks nice. maybe just on each side a candle sconce would look nice for balance... a sold color pillow on each side or maybe a 2 to match the couch colors.... hope this helps..
  • 12 years ago
    Hi All, here's the latest picture...I finally found a floor lamp that I really, really like. That means I can finally give up the table search, whew - hand swipe across forehead! What do you think? Does it work in the room. If so, I can start looking for a table lamp that complements the floor lamp. I'm thinking if I can find something with a similar drum shade and a glitzy base, I should be good.
  • 12 years ago
    If the lamp is working (fingers crossed), I still need two new chairs to flank the mirrored table. I've decided instead of reupholstering the wing chairs (pretty pricey) it makes better economic sense to just buy new. Suggestions please, pretty please. I want something really comfy and somewhat durable.
    Thanks for following and offering your much, much, much appreciated feedback!
  • 12 years ago
    One more thing...
    I'm stumped (again, ha ha)! What kind of case good can I put on the short wall across, flanking the entrance, across from the sofa. Here's a pic. Also a pic of the area that needs the new chairs.
  • 12 years ago
    Another thing...
    The artificial plant is still there awaiting the live fiddle leaf fig :)
  • 12 years ago
    I think you need something tall on the wall across from the sofa. How about a secretary/desk with doors or hutch on top.
  • 12 years ago
    I think your original table was the right proportion for the space. I don't know what you did with it-if anything, but perhaps you could just update it in terms of its surface appearance, and then just change the items on top.
    As for the chairs, you should definitely get some with legs that match your other furniture. Are you going to sell your current ones, or just move them to your other space?
  • 12 years ago
    RickyB and Lucindalane,

    Thanks much for the feedback! I still have the old tables; not sure how they could be updated though. General consensus is that Queen Anne style is out! The original wing chairs are moving to a guest room. Any specific suggestions for style of replacement chairs or a table with the right proportions. And, to help with my design sense (or lack thereof, lol), what is not working with the round side table - wrong shape, wrong size, wrong style, etc.???? All feedback appreciated!
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Hi, mickeee. Just wondering, just exactly what is going and what is staying out of the current configuration of your living room-both what is shown, and not shown in the current photo(s?)
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Lucindalane, what's staying: striped couch, picture above the couch, teal ottoman with tray and orchid, round mirrored table between two wing chairs; what's leaving: two wing chairs and fake plant; what's up for debate: floor lamp I just purchased, round black- topped side table, black and gold accent chair. Hope this helps :)
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    With the complete admission that I'm purely an amateur observer, my amateur eyeballs perceive that you are leaning toward a relaxed, traditional-yet contemporary-look. However, the one thing I see that runs completely counter to that idea-IMO, of course-is that very lovely black and gold chair, which looks like it very much belongs in a display of a well furnished home in the ancient world instead of a contemporary American, 21st century home. The black size table, too, is a little "too" classical in style. However, instead of replacing it, I think it would be a good idea to just get a nice, plain round tablecloth-by plain I mean one that doesn't have any ruffles or adornment on the bottom-and cover it.

    As for the new chairs, I think you have been given some good examples earlier in the thread. One title is Camelia Court, the other is New Traditional Family Residence. One gives you a set of chairs rather similar to the wingback ones, except the legs have more contemporary, straight lines-and the other one gives you a bigger chair body, with shorter, straighter, legs.

    Does that doorway-the one close to the other wall that had the white table-go to your kitchen? If you don't already have one in your kitchen, you could find a more contemporary-looking baker's rack to put there.
    I liked the white table myself. I looked a little more closely at it, and saw that it actually a shelf right underneath the table top, with a glass door on it, which made it into a nice little storage cabinet-with a view. This reminds me of the kind of bookcases which are called Barrister bookcases, because they have glass doors in the front of the shelves. They are quite expensive even new. My "step" grandmother lived-with my grandfather-in a house that she inherited from her aunt, and it had a set of these kind of bookcases which always intrigued me as a kid. So, I still like the style. I realize that the white color of the table gives it a more casual, "country" look than what you are trying to achieve. So, that is why I wondered, depending on what its made of, if it would be possible to paint it, or stain it, if its "real" wood, to match the other surfaces in the area.
    If you like this idea, here is an example-albeit a pretty "fancy" one-of a barrister, or lawyer's bookcase as a lovely showpiece in a home. You can put just about anything in one that you would like to display.
    Traditional Garden Home With French Country Accents · More Info


    Here's a relatively inexpensive one.
    http://www.wayfair.com/Altra-Furniture-Barrister-Bookcase-9607096-HQZ1111.html

    A nice oak one(and more pricey, although actually a pretty good price)
    http://www.oakforless.com/traditional-lawyers-bookcases-36-w-13-d-in-heights-35-79-_8_4274_8823.html
  • 12 years ago
    Lucindalane, thanks for explaining in detail about why the chair and table aren't working. So now my formal little chair is leaving. Not crazy about just covering up the round table. Ideally I'd like to find a side table that works. The white table is now in a perfect spot in my family room so I will be looking for a display type case to fill that blank wall. I really liked your suggestion. Love the piece in the first photo. Lol, I have to read through my dilemma again - I don't recall the suggestions for chairs.
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Remote Stylist,
    Thanks for your feedback. I'm taking a little break to get ready for company and the holiday, will be back soon :)
  • 12 years ago
    Paint your tables black
  • 12 years ago
    Did you finish the room?
  • 12 years ago
    Hi Kft421,

    The room is still a work in progress but I'm happy with the changes I did make.
  • 12 years ago
    Please post pictures. Being a fan of makeover-themed shows, I would love to see the results. Just looking at your first picture and the last one posted, your room made a major transformation into another decade (or two). Congratulations! You took a lot of information from a lot of people and used it to the good. I love your newly styled room.
  • 11 years ago
    Well, it's a year later but for anyone who wants to see what I ended up doing, here you go. I decluttered, painted, installed a ceiling fan; and I got new window treatments, chairs, art, lamps, pillows, and a chest. My final project in the room is too accessorize the chest and install art or mirrors above it. And alas, that artificial plant is still there because I managed to kill 3 fig trees :(
  • 11 years ago
    "To" not "too" lol
Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio