Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merris_delane

S.O.S.- Help Me Save This Hot Pool Mess!

Merris Delane
last year

I need your, Helpful Houzzers!

Mid project, our pool company called our height elevation challenges along with the retaining wall that drops down just beyond the fence line. They recommended we extend the wall along the West (where the fountains are located) to along the Northern fence as a solution. I can’t stand how it looks! 😫😭🙇‍♀️ It looks so unbalanced and heavy on the right.

What can I do to make this look better? What are my options? Can I cut down the right side wall and fork up the money to have a retaining wall along that fence? Would cutting the right side wall to ground level destroy the integrity of the pool?

Thank you so much for your wisdom.

Comments (46)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

You need a meeting with the pool company and a reputable landscape /hardscape architect.

Nobody here will know the conditions specific to your slope

• arcy_gw
    last year

Agree with Jan you need to be very careful you respect the slope and the physics of this project!!!

• Merris Delane
    Original Author
    last year

Hi There!

Thank you SO much for the replies!! I understand what you are saying and will follow that advice.

Putting the slope aside, I guess I just wondered if it is even possible to jackhammer/cut off and then patch that raised, right side wall without risking the integrity of the overall pool’s existing gunite?

Thanks Again!

• Merris Delane
    Original Author
    last year

I’m referring to cutting this wall down to level with the opposite side as was designed before they had excavated. Please ignore my question regarding the retaining wall and elevations.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year
    last modified: last year

You STILL have to involve the pool company who put the offending thing in place: ) This isn't the forum for any of the questions.

• Merris Delane
    Original Author
    last year

Haha! I swear that they think I’m a giant pain in the a$$ as is! I know I’m the customer and shouldn’t be concerned with what they care but it is no fun to have major eye rolls from these guys. Just wanted to find out if it was even possible before proposing.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Welllllll we're sort of rolling our eyes : ) As to no fun eye rolls? Maybe the pool company, and even HAVING the pool..were not great ideas. We surely don't know. I'd certainly mention the eye roll thing to the owner of the source.

• Merris Delane
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for that helpful and kind reply, vinmarks!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

Sorry this is not something we can help with and IMO you listen to the pool company since tey are the pros and if you want my opinion the pool is too big for the space and where I live that whole pool will need to be fenced too The pool company will have a warranty program and if you insist on doing something they do not agree with that warranty could be in jeopardy

• ptreckel
    last year

I think that you are sort of freaked out because it doesn’t look like what you had planned. But it looks GOOD. Just different! And…I think, as has been suggested here, that a good landscaper could make this change into an asset. Seriously.

• Merris Delane
    Original Author
    last year

That was seriously a nice and positive comment, ptreckel! Thank you! I will definitely contact a landscape/hardscape person immediately!

• Merris Delane
    Original Author
    last year

I’m disappointed you chose to critique the pool’s scale, Patricia Colwell Consulting. It had nothing to do with my question, is impossible to change at this point as seen in the pictures, and just made me feel badly. As the saying goes, “If you don’t have something nice to say, then don’t say anything at all.” Please remember that for future comments to others on here.

• chispa
    last year

Good lord Patricia! She has a fence around her property and pool ... see the brown thing around the lot!

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

I think Patricia means a separate safety fence around the pool which would add to how imposing it feels. But that’s how pools are. They take up space and are a massive focal point. Personally I would love this pool, don’t find the concrete imposing or too much. I suspect once done, filled with water, landscaped around it will be dreamy

• Merris Delane
    Original Author
    last year

Chispa-exactly! 😄

• Merris Delane
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you , WestCoast Hopeful.

Fortunately, we are not required to gate pools here and don’t have kids at risk of drowning. Would making the bond beam on the back wall higher or something to give it height variation and interest? Plus, it would allow us instant extra height for the privacy hedge or trees back we plan to plant there to block the yellow house behind it.

I too agree that pools are focal points. The good news is that we will be adding a nice indoor/outdoor living area which will hopefully give other focal points. 🤞

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    last year

It seems like your pool company deemed this necessary, so I wouldn't think that you could remove it. I don't think it looks bad at all - it balances the other wall out nicely. Once everything is filled back in and finished, it will look great.

I would get with a landscaper. A nice long bed of plants and trees would be great there and may cast some shade onto the water which wouldn't be a bad thing. You could also do some great lighting in there too!

• Merris Delane
    Original Author
    last year

That’s very pretty, Debbi Washburn! Thank you for those ideas and pictures! I LOVE landscape lighting!! It can totally transform a yard

• chispa
    last year

I find that photos always help to work things out in my head. I just searched on Houzz photos using the words "pools with retaining walls". Came up with these, but you should search some more on your own time!

Your pool will turn out fine once all the elements are in place, even if it wasn't what you had first visualized in your mind!

Parade of Homes 2016 · More Info

Full Backyard Remodel · More Info

San Juan Capistrano · More Info

• Merris Delane
    Original Author
    last year

Omg! I too need the visuals and started a search! I saved the first pic that you sent this morning!! 😆. Great minds think alike! Thank you!!

• Mrs. S
    last year

There is nothing at all wrong with the way your pool looks. Nothing. It is new. You are not accustomed to the change. when our huge pool went in, before water and landscape, I freaked out!!! And, now we think it is awesome. you WANT those height changes. You WANT the yard not to appear flat as a pancake. Start researching your landscaping!

• Mrs. S
    last year

By the way, the elevation changes along the fence parallel to the street, is going to mean that your shielding landscape is going to be that much taller to give you the privacy I'm sure you want, from that street and anyone walking along it. You have fabulous opportunities to make that pool feel private and oasis-like.

As a matter of fact, in our flat-as-a-pancake backyard, we CREATED a height differential, very similar to what you have, so that from the house, there is something to see. You are going to probably put beautiful tile or stonework on the vertical portion of those walls, and it will be beautiful. I really wouldn't have designed it a different way, given the street right there, to be honest. I think you're going to be happy with the way it is.

• M Riz
    last year

That extra plumbing coming from the bottom, are those for pop up cleaners? How many drains will you have? I think that when its sprayed, tiled, filled and landscaped youre going to love it. its hard looking at a muddy pit filled with unfinished concrete.

• Merris Delane
    Original Author
    last year

You are a rockstar, Mrs. S! 🤜🤛 Thank you!

• Merris Delane
    Original Author
    last year

Hi M Riz! Yes, the extra plumbing the in floor cleaning filtration system. Not sure how many drains we will have. Should I ask?

Thank you so much for the vote of confidence!

• Merris Delane
    Original Author
    last year

I love your wisdom and positive outlook, Mrs. S!

• PRO
    Mystic Pools, LLC
    last year

The pool company obviously had a plan in place as seen in the 3 D rendering. Hopefully, this plan is based on their review of the property, i.e. elevation changes, setbacks and location, to produce the rendering. Not just dropping a design into a property and hoping it works.

It seems like they did their homework and the pool will be fine in it's space..

Right now, your backyard looks like a war zone. I prep my clients with that very phrase. Once the pool area is back filled and graded, it will all come together. I think your design and rendering look nice.

Flat backyards are sometimes a challenge to "make" elevation changes for a key design. A good designer can make it all happen. The raised wall section is an element that aids in breaking the "flatness", if you will, of the property.

As a designer, builder and consultant, I visualize the end product in minds eye, but most clients don't. That's OK. 3D renderings help quite a bit for my clients to see the finished plan.

Regarding chopping down the raised wall, you would have consult your PB who should also consult the structural engineer who produced the detail. It would show the concrete thickness, schedule of rebar to be used and it's placement.

Modifying a set structural plan requires a PE to determine whether any changes could compromise the structure.

I can only say be patient. It looks like it will all come together.

• dosim
    last year

Unfortunately, I have nothing insightful to add. But, my sister is in the middle of her pool project, which includes a retaining wall due to elevation change. It’s not finished, but it is beautiful. I have attached a picture. Good luck! I am sure it will be great.

• M Riz
    last year

I have the in floor cleaner too, i also have a screened lanai, the bottom of the pool stays clean. I would have loved them in my pool in NY, they would have been put thru their paces lol. Our pool is bigger than the average Florida pool, we also have bubblers as water features. We needed 4 drains in the pool + 1 in the spa. There is a lot of water being pumped when everything is on. For me, we have to follow Florida codes, they have strict rules on suction after some bad accidents. I think when the pool is finished, it will all come together.

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    last year

It is hard to make any judgements from the photos. However, it appears that you will need low retaining walls:

• Merris Delane
    Original Author
    last year

Hi Dig Doug Designs! Thank you for taking the time to share your wisdom and make this design! Are you referring to a retaining wall on the right corner of this pic? Or did you mean I will need to carry on the pool’s retaining wall on the right?

• Merris Delane
    Original Author
    last year

I’m so glad you like the in floor cleaner M Riz! Sounds like you have an awesome pool!! Definitely nice to have in Florida’s hot weather!

• chispa
    last year

We've been in our custom new build for 6 months and I'm still undecided on the performance of the in floor cleaner jets. Not sure it was worth the extra cost and I might still get a robot vacuum. Our 2 water/fire bowls haven't been installed yet, so not sure if their waterfall movement will improve the overall water circulation in the pool. Luckily we now have our screened enclosure and it has made a big difference with debris in the pool.

• M Riz
    last year

I agree @chispa, nothing falls into the pool w the screened lanai, probably not worth the extra cost. A pool cleaner could take care of any silt. Its great not ever having to vacuum, i sweep towards the drains occasionally. If my pool was not screened in, maybe a better upgrade? Its a night and day difference between maintaining this pool and my old pool. This one is a piece of cake.

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    last year

From the photo it looks like a wall is needed in the back & to the right .

• chispa
    last year

@M Riz, maybe the pool is still too new and we are only now getting rid of all the construction dust? We also hired a weekly pool guy a few weeks ago so that will help to get things cleaned up even more quickly. Our pool builder has definitely had issues with materials and employees due to covid and it has dragged out getting the pool completely finished. Still waiting for those fire/water bowl and an optional filtration module.

• Merris Delane
    Original Author
    last year

Hey, Houzz Geniuses!

What do you think about putting a slightly cantilevered deck on part of the right bond beam to give it intention and create more space for a tanning ledge? Perhaps made out of Timber Tech? Kind of like this?

• chispa
    last year

Don't think I would like that overhang ... seems like a head banging risk and potential drowning risk! My kids are young adults, but I had a 4 year old and a 1 year old in my pool a few weeks ago and that design would not have been good. Also not good if you have any pets that could fall into the pool.

• Merris Delane
    Original Author
    last year

Ooh! Good point! We have kids and pets so it sounds like a no no.

• Merris Delane
    Original Author
    last year

I need your help, Houzzers!

Which of these 2 landscaping ideas do you prefer for our backyard? Anything you would add, remove or change?

Thank you!!

• WestCoast Hopeful
    last year

For me with gaming and dog the one with more grass

• Merris Delane
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you! Good point! Grass is sure a luxury as lot sizes are shrinking!

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    last year

More grass is my vote! Pets, kids and just some nice green to break up the concrete and stone. Nothing like walking barefoot in the cool grass.

• oreolucca1
    last year

I think it will be very nice when you get landscaping in it makes a huge difference there are always super negative people in this site. good luck

• Merris Delane
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you so much for the kind and positive words!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths