Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caroline_o_brien5

How would you style?

See pics below. tv above the fireplace is not an option. help help!

Comments (19)

• Denise Marchand
    last year

Pierre Frey Printed Linen Curtains - ceiling to floor

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

In a long room with center entry and tiny fireplace, you will need two “zones” of seating. One as you show with TV the focal point but the other needs a bit more interest and diversity. Keep your “lines of sight” in mind. So Denise’s floor plan does all this. You could implement this layout relatively easily. I would suggest a alternative and less expensive beefing up of the fireplace by using trim and substantial art. On the other two walls facing entry a gallery approach. Now, if you want to get more excitement, you could do a asymmetrical gallery that works around fireplace and extends over seating arrangement and then on other side large mirrors. Just depends on your style preferences and budget.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

If you are inclined, setting up the one end without TV as a music room would be wonderful. A baby grand piano and seating to create a warm, inviting setting with interesting art and on both sides pretty lighting.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

If this was my space I would remove the FP it creates too many issues My LR is almost the same size but the FP is in amore useable spot. I love the size of mine we have 2 seating areas but we do not have a TV in the space we have amedia room in our walkout.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

What are your needs? Do you need two seating areas? Is fireplace in working condition?

• Caroline Obrien
    last year

Thanks everyone. Really good ideas. My needs are that it needs to be functional as it’s our only family room/ living room at the moment. I’m Aso wondering about the size of furniture. I feel that my couch is way too big for the room but my husband is tall and needs a bigger couch. Any recommendations on the max size of a sofa or sectional for this size room?

The fireplace is functional and we very much enjoy the fires in the winter

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

I suggest the two upholstered chairs sit at the fireplace as these do. Whether you want to enhance the fireplace or not, that is a good location for enjoying a cozy fire. I would move TV to the 10' wall directly opposite its present location. That way it won't be the first thing guests see when entering the room. Where Denise shows a chaise sofa, I would use a smaller sofa with a coffee table and a properly scaled rocker/swivel/glider for your husband angled at the longer run of windows with a side table and lamp. At the other end of the space, I would put another sofa on the 10' wall and add a game/puzzle/snack table and four chairs in the corner where the windows "L" if you'd enjoy table games. A few strategically placed floor lamps should cozy up the space considerably.

Kitchen Sitting Area · More Info

• everdebz
    last year
    last modified: last year

Why do away with what he likes. He did the test drive of sitting and lounging on it.

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

I didn't see the part where anyone test drove any furniture.

• Denise Marchand
    last year

Everyone likes to lounge together watching tv, and since you mentioned your partner is tall, consider a sofa with a chaise as large as possible from the left of the fireplace to the windows. The room size can handle it, and with a narrow console behind, as indicated in the floor plan, it will give the size of the sofa some breathing space.

I can see your thought pattern abut enjoying the fireplace, remember a cozy fireplace fills the room, no matter where you sit. It always takes some tweeking to finalize the position of all the furniture. You have a wonderful room to begin with, it's just a matter of designating functions.

We all agree that the tv should be on the common wall to the entrance.

Here's some pics

• Denise Marchand
    last year

It feels like I'm sitting in your room discussing the layout and details!

Here's a fireplace detail that reminded me of yours. This one is a bad version, but I feel yours should be detailed. Just framing out a box beyond the actual recessed stone, adding a mantle and a mirror or niche would enhance the beautiful stone work.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

I would embrace this large space and add a large L shape sectional in front of the fireplace with a long sofa table behind it…looking in the room through the arch would be so pretty to see an accessorized sofa table and the fireplace as the focal point…add a nice large round coffee table…add tv over fireplace…

• everdebz
    last year

deco. and all -- I likely misinterpreted Caroline's comment when she said, "I feel that my couch is way too big for the room but my husband is tall and needs a bigger couch." -

I thought that the current couch was satisfactorily big enough... he has already tested it out to see how comfy it is.... is it comfy for him?

• Caroline Obrien
    last year

He loves it but I feel like the couch is too bulky. Would you switch the couch or keep it?

• everdebz
    last year
    last modified: last year

The 'love' and the 'feel' is important! Idk what "switching" implies -- donating it?

I see tan couch has much depth - would you tell its measurements? The room is large and would seem to 'absorb' a large piece somehow.

• Denise Marchand
    last year

For now, keep your existing sofa and focus on the rest of the room layout and accessories. Purchasing a new sofa can always be done down the road. Freshen it up with new throw pillows.

• Caroline Obrien
    last year

The dimensions of the sofa are: 88"Wx43"Dx32"H

As for “switching” I mean putting in our basement for future use and getting something more size appropriate yet comfortable if you all agree it’s too big.

• Caroline Obrien
    last year

Andrew-my style is more traditional or transitional. My budget has some restraints but ultimately I want this room to flow, be comfortable. I don’t feel like my current decor flows.