Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angie_widman

Help please! Small bathroom dilemma!

Angie Widman
last year

Hello all, I would love your suggestions because I'm stuck! It is a small half bath on main floor for guests. I would it to be more elegant and modern, but not quite sure how to achieve that. The tile on the floor needs some sort of stripper to remove the yellow. There was a small black mirror on the wall but there is a slight bend that doesn't allow for a bigger mirror. The wall paint we just primed, and painted this metallic gold, which is a definite no! I also bought a new light fixture which should add glam i think, but I can return for something different if we can come up with a elegant theme. I would love opinions, and assistance. Thanks in advance! 🙂

Comments (12)

• Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    last year

For a cohesive and unified look, I always like to respect the outside style of the house with the interior. Please let us know what style that is (in addition to all the other interior style of the house). If you are not sure, please give us pictures of all. Thank you.

• Rachel Lee
    last year

That’s a lot going on in a tiny space. Paint the walls black and swap for a black toilet.

• bluemarble
    last year

What are the dimensions of the room? A drawing showing measurements would help. Just trying to get a sense of the space and what is meant by "slight bend" in wall.

You might consider painting the walls and doors to match the tile, and paint the little black tiles to match as well. If you want to lessen the contrast, you could paint the vanity a gray that complements the vanity top and tiles. Or paint the walls gray like I did in the mockup below (the gray I picked is a little off). Do you need the bulky shelf? Might be housing plumbing?

As to mirror, you could have a custom cut mirror fill the wall above the vanity. A fun alternative would be to remove the tile from the walls, replace the floor and install a bold wallpaper. Go all in on maximalism...

Some inspiration...

This color palette might actually work with your tile...

• Angie Widman
    Original Author
    last year

Elaine, I'm not quite sure what you want pictures of, so I'm providing the interior outside the small bathroom and an exterior photo so that you can see the style of home. The house was built in the 90s and I'm trying to modernize.  I'm not opposed to black walls and gold accents, or anything bold, i just want it to look classy. I'm fixing the tile stains today, and i will work on demensions of the room. The shelf does hide the plumbing but maybe we can do something else. Thank you all for your initial comments. They are appreciated.

• bluemarble
    last year

What a beautiful home, Angie. Love the dining room. I almost suggested navy for the vanity, because it would look nice with the tile, but i wasn’t sure painting the vanity was an option. I meant to clarify that even though I suggested a custom mirror for the entire wall above the sink, I also like a tall rectangular mirror with rounded corners like in the mockup.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year
    last modified: last year

I really like the vanity and vessel sink. But I'd remove the shelf and tile and replace it with something less busy. A black marble tile for the floor and walls would be nice:

Nero Marquina Black Marble 6 inch Hexagon Tile Honed, 100 piece · More Info

That neo-classic tile trim and the travertine tile is what's making this feel too Italian/traditional, IMO. If you use my suggested tile or something similar, go with a simple bar liner trim.

• bluemarble
    last year

Full wall mirror with neutral wall color (art on walls would complete the look)...

Wall tile replaced with wallpaper...

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year

All items except mirror can be found on Amazon at very good prices...

• Angie Widman
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for all your comments thus far. Here are my thoughts so far, i love the idea of a bold wallpaper, which is why I like the bold flowered one. I love the vanity colors and that needs to be the main color theme. I think a white vessel with a gold wall faucet.  We would remove wall tile, a simple floor tile but not quite sure what color, I like the hexagon black tiles, but may be too much black??? Thanks again!!

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year

Hi! you didn't mention before you were removing both wall and floor tiles. That changes everything! I'll see what I can do with this new information in mind...

• bluemarble
    last year

I like this one, but maybe do some measuring to make sure you like the scale of the pattern. It has a 25" design repeat. I didn't check on it until after I made the mockup, but this gives an idea.

A little more drama with black vanity wall...

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year

You mentioned you wanted a modern look and you liked gold so I'm showing a modern wallpaper of white, light gray and gold with black octagonal tiles you also mentioned. I made the plank below the shelf higher to accomodate the wall faucet.