Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojoco_gw

Quick Pizza Poll (for no reason whatsoever)

jojoco
last year
last modified: last year

Which pizza do your kids (maybe your son?) prefer?

Share your choice in the comments. Maybe it's a regional thing?

Explanation in Featured Answer.

Plain
Pepperoni
veggie
anything with the word "Artisanal" in it

Comments (49)

• terezosa / terriks
    last year

Combination pizza with sausage and veggies is my go to pizza, but I can be tempted by more exotic combinations.

• lisaam
    last year

No children and dogs don’t get a vote so my pref is whole wheat crust, smoked mozz, caramellized onions and shiitakes.

• lascatx
    last year

My sons both favor something with pepperoni, but they may add mushrooms or other veggies. What else is on the pizza probably depends on where the pizza is made. They will do an occasional delivery from a major chain -- will be basic. We have some local places, both traditional and more artisan, and they will go with some variety there. I haven't voted, but it would be pepperoni (boring) artisanal (they aren't that limited).

When we make pizza at home, we have all the options, usually on a sourdough crust. When we lived in CA, our favorite pizza place had sourdough crust. That was when I started my sourdough started and started making the crust as well. My favorites are probably a classic margherita, more veggies with some turkey Italian sausage on a tomato sauce or artichoke tapenade instead of sauce, chicken breast, (possibly artichoke hearts too) and kalamata olives -- the later made with fresh mozzarella and grated mozzarella. We just had pizza last night -- now I'm ready for it again. LOL

• l pinkmountain
    last year

It could be an age thing. My pepperoni heavy cheese days are over, and so are my husbands. We are old farts with GERD and all the rest . . .

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

Pizza Hut is doing the Detroit Pizza special again and it's excellent.

• nicole___
    last year

I make mine from scratch. Sausage AND pepperoni AND veggies. (red bell peppers, yellow onion on this one) Edited: Yes...even the crust. Fresh motzarella...is there another kind? :0) My own pizza sauce. 💘

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

Margherita for my boys.

• rubyclaire
    last year

I'm gonna tell Mtn...

ETA: I completely misunderstood this post!

• dedtired
    last year

Pepperoni and veggie. One time my friend got ham and pineapple for us. It was revolting.

• Kswl
    last year

I make mine from scratch also, including the crust, usually a mixture of veggies and eother sausage, homemade meatballs or turkey pepperoni.

last year

Somebody here suggested Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza in Orlando while I was there a few years ago, I still dream of their eggplant pizza.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    last year

It depends on my mood - sometimes veggie only, sometimes with some sausage, and sometimes with anchovies. Sometimes I make my own, sometimes I order out.

• jojoco
    Original Author
    last year

my sons and I love artisanal pizza. I love unusual (to me) combinatios. And adding goat cheese to a veggie pizza? Chef kiss!

• DLM2000-GW
    last year

With DH it has to be Chicago deep dish sausage either Piero's or Malnati's. With most of the rest of my family it's spinach mushroom thin crust. I love either one if well made. I have not mastered crispy thin crust - has to be really crisp and I can't quite get there. But I can make a Chicago deep dish that's worthy of the name.

• blfenton
    last year

For DS1 it's ham and pineapple or spicy chicken with peppers. For DS2 it's pepperoni, cheese and vegies.

• porkandham
    last year

I like margherita. My boys are teenagers. One prefers pepperoni, and the other prefers sausage.

• czarinalex
    last year

my 26 yo son always orders extra cheese and an order of fries. Yep.. he puts french fries on his pizza.

I'm a purist.... just cheese for me when we order out. But if I make it homemade, then it's fresh mozzarella , sliced tomatoes and scraps of prosciutto.

• deeinohio
    last year

DH and I prefer just pepperoni, though I order veggie when it is just me. DS and DDIL have a wood-fired pizza truck they do on the side, and one of their best sellers is cream cheese, bacon, and cashews. It is delicious.

• Lars
    last year

We have an Ooni oven in Cathedral City, and I always make Margherita pizzas there, using fresh Mozzarella. Here's one from last Thanksgiving:

(I usually add more basil than this. However, I always slice the pizza before adding the basil.)

In L.A., I make pizzas either in my regular oven or in the Big Green Egg, and my favorite topping is Italian sausage. If I put vegetables on it, I have to sauté them first, and this could include mushrooms, red bell pepper, onion, etc. I sometimes add olives, but I do not sauté those. I like artichoke hearts also.

Patatosa (pizza with French fries) is popular in Italy.

last year

Jo, if you like goat cheese on a pizza, try a big blob of burratta in the middle.

• 4kids4us
    last year

My boys prefer meat on theirs - pepperoni, sausage, meat lovers. Doesn't matter.

My daughters always just wanted cheese/plain but a few years ago, my husband and I got margherita (one of my favorites) and my daughter wanted some. Unbeknownst to us, she'd always get that when out with friends and loves it. She's the only one home now so when we get pizza, we always get that. I'm not sure what my oldest daughter prefers these days but it wouldn't be any sort of meat topping.

I don't have a favorite. I love any kind of vegetable pizza, margherita, plain/cheese and white pizza. I'll eat meat toppings if that's all there is but wouldn't be my preference. I'm also picky about the crust and the amount of cheese - I can't stand a lot of cheese, and I like a good NY-style thin crust. Oops, forgot you were asking about our kids, not us!

last year

Here is the pizza DS2 made/makes. It is hard to watch my calories when that boy is around.

• roarah
    last year

If only ordering or making one for whole family usually Margherita but I do make a mean mash potato , apple and bacon pie too.

• Judi
    last year

What's with the Uhaul pic?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    last year

From one of two favorite local spots: sausage, mushrooms, onions, green peppers, black olives.

Plain cheese for the granddaughters.

• Jilly
    last year

I prefer veggie. The more mushrooms, the better. Also — zucchini, sweet onion, green olives. I recently had one that had tiny broccoli florets on it and it was good.

But Zalco has me craving eggplant pizza, Mmm. :)

DH is from NY. The toppings aren’t as important to him as the crust. The man is obsessed with proper (to him) pizza crust, and wants it NYC style. Luckily, we have three local places owned by Brooklyn and Queens natives. For toppings, he likes sausage and/or pepperoni. He does like my veggie pizzas, too.

ETA: I want to try the homemade ones y’all have posted! They all look delicious. Wish we had a scratch-n-sniff feature on this thread.

• gigitn
    last year

LOL Jojo!! Did Jinx put you up to this by any chance? ;)

• jojoco
    Original Author
    last year

Nope, gig, I'm just hoping to share in the spoils.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

I'm wondering about the U-Haul too...?

And my son likes everything on it - sausage, pepperoni, veggies, cheese, etc.

• rubyclaire
    last year

So...turns out I DID NOT misunderstand this thread @jojoco and @Jilly.

last year

Well, I am so lost, that U-Haul would still be in the parking lot. But I love pizza and Jinx and Jo, so ....

• nini804
    last year

I don’t like inside jokes that I don’t get! 😩 Feels clique-y. 😂

• Jilly
    last year

I’m in the dark, too! I’ve been looking up U-haul news. 🤣

• blfenton
    last year

I'm assuming that she was moving (out) some stuff from some location and was paying the guys who are helping in pizza. Obviously I'm wrong. I never get the inside jokes here. Oh well.

last year

I don't think of these as inside jokes, as much as born on another thread jokes.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Jojo & Jinx (hey that sounds like the name of a great little boutique!),

You are too funny.*

One of my fave brick oven pizza spots serves what they call "salad pizza". It has fresh mozzarella, a thin wave of tomato sauce, and caramelized onion topping. After it is cooked, they top it by covering it with a very generous layer of baby arugula, drizzled with aged balsamic and EVOO.

Delish.

DS is a Margherita guy.

*Our type of policies with Chubb require security systems. They may involve water balloons for all I know, but they are in place.

• Jilly
    last year

Oh, geez! I should’ve gotten the Uhaul reference! Love it. 😄

(Jo, I’ll get the stove for you. Anyone else with requests, drop me a note. Sounds like I need to get a raincoat.)

• Irish2
    last year

Friday it was artichoke, feta, sun dried tomato -

I usually order fire roasted veggie or Margherita.

• Feathers11
    last year

My kids like mushrooms on pizza, another likes margherita and another likes anchovies. So much so that I used to keep a jar in the fridge. We have a good pizza joint down the street from me that satisfies their cravings. I'm not a big pizza fan, although the best pizza I ever had was from the Pizza King pizza chain in Indiana. I do not live nearby, and I've only had it once. But it was truly good pizza.

eta, DLM, my kids love Chicago-style. Lou Malnati's is their preference. I prefer thin crust myself.

• remodeling1840
    last year

One of our all time best family memories was d-I-y pizza with the grandkids and their parents. I set out bowls of all kinds of ingredients. SIL #2 stretched dough into individual circles, SIL #2 helped the littles pick and place goodies, add #1 helped with the cheese selection and DD #2 helped carry to the grill! Yes, the Weber! Cook the individual circles on one side, then use that side as the side for pepperoni, ham, onions, olives, etc. and place the unbaked side on the grill. This actually goes fast. That’s where all the parents come in handy. Everybody got the favorite!

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    last year

We get the Fairway Special from our local Italian restaurant. It has red sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni, Italian sausage, linguicia (a spicy Portuguese sausage), red onion. fresh musrooms and sweet red bell pepper. I can only eat about one slice. If I'm alone, i like to order from a different place that has an olive oil (white pizza), fresh spinach, feta cheese, red onions, tomatoes, basil, kalamata olives & a blend blend of cheeses.

• Ally De
    last year

Thank you for explaining it, because I'm the board's village idiot and I knew there had to be a story but I couldn't figure it out!! LOL.

I'm a pizza margherita girl all the way. Soooo good.

• nicole___
    last year

margherita...is a NEW word for me. It's just a traditional pizza? Am I right?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

No. It should be made with fresh mozzarella and fresh basil though some are loose with the term.

From the NYT:

Here is the archetype of a thin-crust pizza pie, a pizza margherita adorned simply in the colors of the Italian flag: green from basil, white from mozzarella, red from tomato sauce.

(you can see that the cheese is slices of fresh mozzarella, not grated stuff)

• artemis_ma
    last year

No kids here. I don't like plain, and I don't like pineapple on my pizza. Margharita is just a slightly fancier version of plain, so not on my horizon. I'm not wanting bland ole chicken breast on mine, either.

Otherwise, I'm reasonably flexible. One of my faves has been a white pizza with shrimp and broccoli - but I also really enjoy mushroom, peppers and onions on a tomato and cheese pizza. Or spinach, olives and artichoke hearts. Or, hey, some days even pepperoni or sausage. Anchovies are okay, but I need to limit the amount due to not wanting to swallow a gallon of water after the high salt level.

• l pinkmountain
    last year

The absolute best is the buffalo mozzarella if you can get it. The way I made it the other night was just to smoosh some home grown tomatoes over the top. You can make a fresh sauce from a can of San Marzano tomatoes . . . and then fresh basil but that's something I don't always have. That's why margherita is my favorite, it's a rare treat for me to find all the right ingredients.

• nekotish
    last year

My fave is homemade fairly thin crust with pesto, not red sauce, artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoes, thinly (very thinly) sliced onion and peppers, mushrooms and anchovies if I have them. Fairly light on the mozza and a sprinkle of parm. My husband and nephew, who is staying with us, will take as much meat as they can get; pepperoni, salami, sausage, prosciutto... Mushrooms and onions are acceptable to them, any other veg "has no place on pizza."

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

The only mozzarella i buy anymore is the fresh mozzarella, usually packed in water. However, it does not melt the way "American" junky mozzarella melts, which makes it a suboptimal choice in some American recipes.

I had true buffalo mozzarella once or twice and I did not care for it. It is pretty rare and people often mean fresh mozzarella when they say buffalo, or when they sell it!