Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

A Few Blooms in October

shive
last year

I still have five daylilies blooming in October, but so far with night temps in the 40s and low 50s Grandma's Smile X Bubblegum Delicious hasn't been able to fully open.

Grandma's Smile X Dearest Valentine opens well even when temps are in the low 40s. The color is much darker in this cool weather.

White Ambrosia takes until late in the morning to open, but it does finally open well.

Blue Swallowtail is ending its run with 31 buds on a rebloom scape. That's probably the biggest surprise of the season.

Jewel of Tavares is a good cold morning opener. It had its last bloom today. Here's a picture from late September.

Debra

Comments (8)

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    last year

It's nice to see such pretty blooms so late in the season. Your seedling is lovely. It's nice that it opens so well in cool temperatures.

Nancy

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    last year

I like the darker mauve-pink color on your seedling. The thin white edge adds to its appeal. I also like the ruffles on White Ambrosia and it's good to hear they open fairly well for you..........Maryl

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    last year

I agree wholeheartedly……..what a nice display for October! A bonus to see these seedlings doing so well now.

Sherry

• Brad KY 6b
    last year

I love Jewel of Tavares, such nice color and form. Your seedling is very pretty too

Brad

• Julia WV (6b)
    last year

Wow. The Grandma's Smile X Dearest Valentine looks beautiful. Love the deep color. Been very cool here too along with rain, rain and more rain. Had to put the heat on in the house. The deer got into my front garden bed and chewed down several of the daylilies, nibbled on the sedum, yarrow and dahlias. I know it won't hurt the daylilies but with the rain I was hoping to get things dug and moved but now not sure whether to move anything till next spring.

Julia

• lilykate7a
    last year

Those look great for cool nights! I have some blooming now also but are just not opening well even as the day warms. I was hoping for some pretty blooms such as yours but so far no such luck. Even with all those ruffles White Ambrosia opens really well. Jewel of Tavares is so pretty.

• shive
    Original Author
    last year

Julia - I just wish I could get some of your rain. We've only had a trace of rain in more than four weeks, and there's no rain in our forecast for the next 10 days. Sorry to see the deer are back after your plants again. One got all the buds on my red seedling last week, and a couple of buds on White Ambrosia. I sprayed again and so far I haven't seen any more signs of deer. I've never seen them eat daylily foliage here - just the buds. Your deer must be really hungry.

Kate - I was surprised White Ambrosia opened so well after chilly nights. It does take until about 10:30-11 for it to fully open. Of those four, Blue Swallowtail has the hardest time opening when temps are in the 40s. That surprised me since it has less of an edge than the others.

Nan, Maryl, Sherry and Brad - Thanks for the comments on the seedling and Jewel of Tavares!

Sherry - I hope your surgery went well today!

Here's a picture of the other pink seedling that's trying to open. The photo is from the original bloom in summer. In about four days, we're supposed to have a night where it's 58 degrees. Maybe that one will open all the way then. It does have rebloom on both its fans.

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    last year

Debra: If you saw how much grass we have here, I don't think it is hunger. 2 plus acres of grass plus all the tree leaves/berry bushes.

Julia

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus