Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ben_tso

Ping Lim’s True Love

Anyone grow this rose? It looks like a tiny version of Florentina or Rouge Royale! I found it at Home Depot, told myself I absolute don’t need another rose, yet here it is sitting in my backyard waiting for a spot.

Comments (27)

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    last year

I haven’t grown it, Ben, but I’m thinking I should maybe stop at HD today as well while I’m in town. You know, just in case there’s one of those waiting to come home with me too. I would hate to disappoint it.

• Diane Brakefield
    last year

Yes, it does look irresistible, Ben, and you're forgiven for buying it. You guys in California get all the good stuff. The dregs are left to Idaho..... We all want to see how it does in your garden. Deep red roses are favorites of mine., but why was this beauty named Red Captain--ugh? It should be called Irresistible. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    last year

I'm embarrassed. So this is called True Love, as well as Red Captain. Or am I totally confused? Diane

• rosecanadian
    last year

Yes, Red Captain doesn't suit this gorgeous rose. No wonder you bought it, Ben. I would have too.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    last year

If I saw that rose I too would have scarfed it up

What a fabulous color!

• Dave5bWY
    last year

Ben, you’ll really like True Love/Red Capitan - it’s a perfect mini. I bought 3 from Altman Plants through Home Depot and Amazon. They bloomed continuously all summer and stayed clean. I love the bloom form and true red color. I’m hoping they make it through their first Wyoming winter 🤞.

• rosecanadian
    last year

Dave - that's such a beautiful picture! I don't grow minis...but I'd grow that one.

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Dave,

I’m especially glad to hear True Love repeats well. HMF lists it as ’occasional’ repeat’, that’s not the most encouragaing word! Hope your Wyoming garden is growing well.

Carol, Kristine

I’m not a mini fan either, but here I am with True Love in my yard. I think I only have 1 or 2 other minis.

Diane

I suppose it’s good for Idaho to have strict restrictions for agriculture. California does too, but I bet my plant (and many roses) are raised within the state.

Judi,

I hope your local HD had some True Love waiting for you. It does look like something they brought out for Christmas!

last year

I was looking it up and found it listed as a hybrid tea and a floribunda and you guys are saying that it is a mini

Original Author
    last year

Hi Kristine,

We are discussing This Mini-Flora True Love aka Red Captain

last year

I know. I specifically googled Ping Lims True Love and got all kinds of descriptions. I will check again. I could use a min iof that color so I am relieved that is what your rose is .

last year

American Rose Trials is calling it a floribunda but other articles are calling it a mini flora

Beautiful either way.

Original Author
    last year

I suppose if you live in New England it’s a Mini-Flora, but in California it’s at least a Floribunda maybe even a Shrub! I spent yesterday digging out an old dusty miller plant that 5x5’. In most parts of the country it’s an annual, but here it’s a shrub!

• Diane Brakefield
    last year

Oh, that's funny, Ben. I love a certain dusty miller called Silver Lace, and it's impossible to get this around here or even online. I would have loved for it to have grown into a shrub. Speaking of odd sized minis and others. I've mentioned before my grocery store mini (haha) that I've grown for about 15 years. It's about 5X5 feet currently and in spring it blooms full sized blooms. When it heats up, then this rose switches to mini sized blooms with fewer petals (like my old PAoK), and the color changes to a garish bright coral. Then in fall most of the blooms enlarge again. It's the strangest rose I grow. Diane

Grocery store mini, miniflora, floribunda. Take your pick.

Original Author
    last year

That’s one terrific looking plant, Diane so big and full. I did not realize PAOK had petal count issues in the summer, I’m glad I didn’t try her out. Trust me, you would not have wanted my Dusty Miller, it was no Silver Lace, it was Big Gray Thug.

last year

Big Grey Thug describes what I had as well. Actually, we had a yard full of thugs, yukky hideous arbovite and spider infested junipers.

My poor husband spent the first 2 years digging out the dead the dying and the just plain hideous plants.

And I got to start all over again with what I like

Original Author
    last year

Kristine,

i can commiserate with that. I’ve spent the last 6 months digging out tree roots and large shrubs. No one really ever wants a euonymous or ligustrum, so why are the all over my yard? At some point trees were chipped down but their big roots still lay under the surface. I feel good about how much progress I’ve made, but I’d feel much better if I didn’t have to do it at all!

• KJ (9B, San Jose CA)
    last year

Ben, PAOK is doing pretty well in northern California unlike many other Austin's. I would rate its heat tolerance as good. Below are some photos I took in this July.

BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14) thanked KJ (9B, San Jose CA)
  • judijunebugarizonazn8
    last year

Unfortunately, my Home Depot doesn’t seem to carry True Love. I checked this week and there were plenty of other red roses, but not this one. Probably a good idea for me right now… I’m trying to slow down with my rose buying for now. My current beds are full and it will be some time before the next phase of our landscaping is completed and ready for roses.

• windowsill_gardener
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

After seeing True Love on this thread, I kept searching for it online until it finally popped up as available on Walmart (from Altman Plants). I've had it for a little over three months and it has been blooming nearly continously. I can see why it's classified as a miniflora, as its blooms are quite small, maybe 1.5" max for me. Its growth/blooming habit reminds me of a floribunda in the way it sets buds on nearly all new growth. The blooms have no scent, but that's what I expected. The plant has been entirely disease-free.

I grow my very small collection of roses indoors (ill-advised, I know), and some varieties take to the unconventional growing environment much better than others. True Love seems completely unbothered being indoors, at least for the time being.

• ninakhaines
    4 days ago

they have so many at home depot today (San Diego) and selling for $10 for a big pot!

• Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    4 days ago
    last modified: 4 days ago

Nina, are the pots 6 quart size, in the color red, with the 'True Bloom,' logo on them? If so, $10.00 is a steal. It paying about $32.00, each, for my two, one ordered from Home Depot and the other from Amazon.

Moses

• ninakhaines
    4 days ago

Yes they are! I found it in their discount section (usually some shelf space outside) but I am in San Diego so maybe they had an overabundance of them - lucky me!

• Helen B. Denver Area 6a
    3 days ago

Very nice. It has the nonchalance of Francois Rabelais, which I don’t have but maybe I could spring for True Love …

• ninakhaines
    3 days ago

It looks pretty haarty and easy, no smell though, but that's okay, they're lovely!

• Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    3 days ago
    last modified: 3 days ago

Looks like it could be a workhorse of a rose. Wish it had fragrance, but so many minis and minifloras are scentless, that doesn't surprise me.

Interestingly, Ice Kordana, a Kordes mini rose is one of True Love's parents. The Kordana Series was developed by Kordes as gift mini roses that mostly were/are given as gifts and ended up tossed into the trash after they succumbed to indoor conditions. Just shows how complex rose genetics are in this modern age, after so many years of crossing and crossing and crossing some more, especially close relatives. Anything hidden in the genetics comes out to either the joy and wonderment of the rose world, or a Frankenstein horror, tossed into the compost, which is the fate of the vast majority of rose seedlings the breeders produce. I'm no bleeding heart for roses rights, just saying! 🤔

Moses