Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karla_cressman

Decor ideas and layout for spare bedroom (boho theme)

Hi- I’m looking for feedback and suggestions on layout/floor plan for our spare bedroom. Specifically, some of the following:

• What to put in the space where the dresser currently is (upon walking in)
  • Interested in doing a “basket wall decor”. Wondering which wall would be best to do so on?
  • There is no closet door. Looking for the best fix to close off the closet so you do not see the clutter?
  • How to make use of the space in front of the heater (in front of windows)

Notes:

• I plan to paint over the blue accent wall. Either make it the same color as the surrounding walls or a shade darker- to keep the “neutral colored theme”.
  • I’m not necessarily married to any of the current decor in the room other than the bed frame/nightstand.
  • I plan to get rid the long dresser (where you first walk in), as it’s an old piece, and too long for the space, as the door hits the dresser.

Comments (9)

• tracefloyd
    last year
    last modified: last year

It doesn't need much. Hang fabric in the closet door. The furniture arrangement is nice. Hang a nice canvas over a narrower, taller dresser.

Change the window shades to something not so dark. Paint the accent wall like the rest of the room like you mentioned.

Definitely get rid of the tall dead looking dry arrangement next to the bed. Remove all the small pieces of decor, it's too cluttered. Just your one glass urn on the heater.

Put a nice chair by the left window-a coaster on the heater, under the right window place some plants on top of an open shelfing unit that fits under the window to use to hold the router and coffee table books.

I think the palm fan can go over the bed above the panels, maybe with your basket wall. Get matching night stands/lamps.

Hang three matching framed prints in a row on the wall opposite the window. Their glass will reflect the light.

• Jilly
    last year

I love boho and this room is perfect for it. So much character.

For the closet door, maybe a bead or macrame curtain. Example:

Search ‘beaded door curtain’ for lots of styles. Etsy is a good source, too.

I had one at my last house and didn’t find it bothersome to go through.

Can you take regular pics of each wall? It’s hard to tell anything with the fisheye angle.

I think your basket wall could go on the wall by the closet, the one beside the bed, or wall over bed.

Would any kind of seating fit in the bay area? Small chair(s), stools, something?

I’d remove all of the framed photos. And would have lamps.

Are the bamboo blinds lined? If not, they’re see-through at night with any lights on.

Fun project!

• Jilly
    last year

I swear, your post wasn’t there when I posted mine, Trace. I was being slow.

So I’ll say I agree with many of your ideas. :)

• tracefloyd
    last year

We are always on the same wavelength, Jinx, but you always seem to one-up me lol. The beaded curtain is great.

• Jilly
    last year

You are too kind! I miss mine from my last house and this thread has me wondering where I could put one now. :D

• karla_cressman
    Original Author
    last year

I LOVE the beaded curtain idea- thank you!!

Attached are clear photos of the walls for the potential “basket wall”.

Again- I am not keeping the dresser that’s in this photo, so that will be completely empty space. Thought or ideas for that space?

Something can definitely be placed in the bay windows. There’s ~ 4 ft between the radiator and the bed and ~ 8 for side to side.

Where would you suggest lamps go?

• Jilly
    last year

Great pictures!

I think the wall beside the bed is perfect for your baskets. I’d put a lamp on your nightstand.

Where the dresser is … do you need storage? Maybe a narrow chest, narrow bookshelf, etc? (And have another lamp on top.) Or just leave it bare and hang art.

I think a cool chair would be great in the bay area, on the left side. An ottoman with it, if that would fit.

• karla_cressman
    Original Author
    last year

One quick clarification/question- there is a ceiling fan/light in this space.

Should additional lamps still be incorporated?

• Jilly
    last year

Yes, definitely … ambient lighting is so much nicer than overhead, especially for cozy boho styles.