Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kprice0325

Basement too Bland

kprice0325
last year

Hello- we recently redid our basement I removed the drop ceiling and had it all sprayed black The walls were supposed to be a light gray but are way more white

What can i add to the walls to break up the white/add color to the room?

Comments (8)

• kandrewspa
    last year

It looks bland because there isn't anything in the room. What is the flooring in this room? Do you already own furniture you're going to use in here or are you buying new? What you have now is a nice neutral backdrop that can go in a lot of different directions. Personally I don't like dark wall colors in basements since they're usually short on natural light. After you tell us what your other plans are people will be better able to make suggestions.

Chan Basement · More Info

Red Ledges · More Info

Basement Refresh · More Info

Upper Montclair Basement Renovation · More Info

Full Basement Renovation · More Info

• la_la Girl
    last year
    last modified: last year

Ceiling looks great! Some large colorful art would go a long way - I have used oversized tapestries from Urban Outfitters and Anthropologie over the years bc they are a total steal for the impact-

definitely don't skimp on texture - rugs, cozy throws, textured pillows etc - it makes a huge difference

ETA - you could do a mural wallpaper along one wall - that could be fun and give the walls some interest

my home · More Info

• tracefloyd
    last year
    last modified: last year

DIY a Mondrian inspired wall mural above the rail. Tape masking tape vertically and horizontally in random spacing. Each piece the entire length and height, making rectangular and square boxes from larger to smaller.

Randomly paint in some of the boxes in your chosen colors until you achieve the effect you want. Use soothing colors or bold colors. Remove the tape and voila. I suppose you could do as many walls as you wish.

• fnmroberts
    last year

Photo perspective doesn’t show the overall room but it appears you have a nice narrow railing that may work for resting art.

Lighting is essential in a basement. Your dark ceiling absorbs much illumination. Wall sconces likely will be your best solution.

That said, don’t be afraid of color. It adds personality. We defined various areas within ours in this manner. Here’s a video which may be helpful.

https://youtu.be/3FqMEqaf0-I

• worthy
    last year

^^^^

Very nice bar, food prep area. (And that's coming from a family of non-drinkers!)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

IMO we need some info as to what you are planning to do with the space . I dislike black ceilings in basements not to mention all the spiders that love those beams and that amount of extra lighting you need to have,

• beesneeds
    last year

It looks bland because it is. You have given yourself a blank canvas in black and white to work with.

What do you want to do with this space? That will add the spice to your blank canvas.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

What to do with wall space is dependent on what you are doing with the space and the age of the people who will be using the space and what you want to invest (both time and money).