Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Unusual Colored Daylilies 2022

shive
last year

In this category you can show colors that defy definition, color changers, polychromes and edge-no-eye daylilies. You can also include colors for which I did not post a category like brown, bronze or blue. I don't have a category for spots and streaks, so you can post them in this catch-all category.

Kentucky Lucky is a light yellow peach polychrome.

Two Sues is a bronze rose blend with soft persimmon watermark.

Debra

Comments (14)

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    last year
    last modified: last year

Two Sues looks good above. Mine add first blooms this season, I think it will be s keeper here.

Tall Dark Sranger is a strange color, not sure to call it rose, red or purple this is what I saw this past season.

Have seen this purpleish color in the past.

Sweet Autumn Mist is a nice polychrome.

My bee pollen daylily. I finally moved it out of the complete shade the bees picked for it….it did better this season.

Woman at the Well has peach or yellow petals…..saw this golden yellow the past season.

Storm Shelter…….I never know how to categorize this color.

Sherry

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    last year

Debra: I always like your Kentucky Lucky. Your clump shots of it were wonderful......Sherry: Storm Shelter is appealing as is Tall Dark Stranger. I'd put TDS in the purple category, but am not sure what to call SS (rose base with black purple eye?).......I have one that is a mystery to me. It doesn't look much like the database pictures. I called the daylily nursery in La. that had Nall daylilies and sent them a photograph of mine to confirm I hadn't been sent the wrong daylily. He said that it was the correct daylily. As the temperature climbed it lightened somewhat, but mostly looked the same:

Lilyland's Friend Eggplant - FFE:

And another picture taken a week later next to Muy Caliente as a color contrast. Still looks basically the same, just lighter. It had quite a few blooms on it, more then the small amount listed, so I was pleased with it overall:

Lilyland's Fried Eggplant picture taken in full sun a week later then the FFE above:

Maryl

• daylilybedmaker
    last year

Here are a few of my unusul colored daylilies:

Here is a child of LILYLAND'S FRIED EGGPLANT - LIKE A SHEPHERD

another shot of LIKE A SHEPHERD

SMOKEY MOUNTAIN AUTUMN

That's all from me.

David

• Brad KY 6b
    last year

Interesting colors above. David, I usually put Smoky on the corals list but I can see how it goes here too. Shepherd is nice. Sherry, Tall Dark Stranger is very pretty. Debra, Two Sues is nice. I understand it blooms well. Maryl, I like Fried Eggplant best in the second picture.

Seedling I named Mr. Bultitude [character from a CS Lewis book] So Lovely x Priscilla's Rainbow

Agumenticus flower color varies some and typically I don't like it, though it always has a nice eye.

Do the Twist. Pretty but never quite sure what color it is.

Lily & Petals really varies. Sometimes orange. This was its last year, as it is now gone. Often didn't open well or bloom well.

Thomas Tew, I keep it for its great eye, not thrilled with petal color whatever it is.

Precious Candy is on the might leave soon list. Quite odd and hasn't done well at all.

Seedling Elegant Candy x Vintage Wine.

2 Seedlings from Spirit of the Dove x Sky Over Schuller from seeds from Celeste. Both of them are lavender, this is ?

Brad

• shive
    Original Author
    last year

Brad - I agree with you on that beige petal color on Thomas Tew. Mine has now gone bye bye. When I grew Precious Candy, it had bad color in cool temps but looked great when it was very hot. Mine died in a pot, which I hated, because it was such a good parent.

David - I love your photo of Smokey Mountain Autumn!

Sherry - Sweet Autumn Mist appeal to me on a lot of levels. I don't remember seeing that one before.

Maryl - Lilyland's Fried Eggplant is in the running for most unusual colors.

I've gotten rid of most of my odd colored ones and one of my color changers. My other color changer did not bloom at all this year. Here are a few more of my polychromes:

Autumn Wood

Techny Peace

Harvest Moth

Debra

• mantis__oh
    last year
    last modified: last year

Bridge of Sighs is certainly one that doesn't fit a regular category. It has the

bean pole scape of many Hansens, with modest bud count. Will look for more.

• Brad KY 6b
    last year

Nancy, I like Pink Stripes the best of these.

Brad

• shive
    Original Author
    last year

Mantis - I like the sculpting on Bridge of Sighs. Is the petal color or the eye color unusual? The colors look pretty normal on my monitor.

Nan - Although I don't normally like brown daylilies, your stippled brown seedling is neat!

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    last year

Nan: Do you still grow Mighty Chestnut? That color always intrigued me and remains on my long list to this day..............Maryl

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    last year

Maryl, we still grow Mighty Chestnut. Here is a photo from a couple of years ago (I didn't get a photo this year.) It always photographs more orange than brown.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    last year

That's it. Thanks Nan for digging it up. I've not forgotten it...........Maryl

• mantis__oh
    last year

Bridge of Sighs has a base that is closer to beige, rather than the registered white. Its sculpted form also makes it different. Probably would have fit better in the eyed category, but there are so many there.

Tactical Deception is a smoky purplish color that can be very dark. Last year it was more interesting than this year (darker in cooler weather), but always interesting. Hard to capture the darkest coloration.

Mahogany Magic, though an evergreen, does well here. I enjoyed it a lot this summer. A bit on the short side.

Triangular Explosion is definitely different. From Dan White. Not sure yet what I think about it.

• Brad KY 6b
    last year

Mantis, I really like Tactical Deception! So pretty, nice form.

Brad