Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_433940853

Durable rugs that withstands kids & dogs

3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I need help finding durable rugs for high traffic rooms and bedrooms. Good for kids & two well-behaved big dogs. Mostly worried about the dog's nails! Where should I look? Which brands are good quality? Would prefer minimal shedding. I'm thinking wool, but open to good quality synthetics. We like Moroccan and Tibetan looks; or something vintage, but not too busy. Would like off-white with gray for the living room. I usually like Lauren Liess' rugs, but not her current selection. Any advice very appreciated! Thanks!

Comments (12)

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Carpet wall to wall or rugs ? IMO ruggables make washable rugs and would be the perfect choice for me with a hardsurface floor in the spaces and the rugs not wall to wall ever with pets and kids

  • 3 years ago

    I've had seagrass rugs for years with kids and a Lab. I like them because you can clean with liquids and scrub if necessary. I also have vintage Turkish rugs and new wool rugs, and we recently got a creamy white Moroccan rug for our bedroom which we love. All the new wool rugs I've gotten have shed quite a bit, but I vacuum every day because of the dog so it doesn't bother me too much. Besides the vintage, I've gotten wool from Ballard Designs, Lulu and Georgia, and the Moroccan rug is from this place.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Sabrina Alfin Interiors Thank you!!! Appreciate your help! Can you recommend stores/sources? Maybe I should check local vintage rug stores? I haven't found many short cut-pile rugs at mall stores (like Pottery Barn). Mostly finding loop & flat weave. Also, I've heard a lot about excessive shedding. I'd like to avoid that. Should I look for rugs woven in certain parts of the world? Are hand or machine woven smarter, in my case. Sorry! Too many questions.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    stiley Thank you! I'm checking out Beni Ourain Carpet now! Which rug did you get? I'm looking for a creamy Moroccan.

  • 3 years ago

    Here’s my rug. It feels so good on our feet when we wake up! (Ignore that piece of leaf that is on here. I took this picture when I was trying to decide which bench I like at the end of the bed.)

    Decorate thanked stiley
  • 3 years ago

    Another cool thing about the Moroccan rug company is that you pay by the square foot, so you can order any size that you want. Plus they ship from Morocco!

    Decorate thanked stiley
  • 3 years ago

    stiley Thank you! Thank you! I love your rug! I'd love one like that for our bedroom! But that isn't the fringe ripping off on the right edge? No, can't be.

  • 3 years ago

    @Decorate no, not ripping. I just hasn't combed it straight. :) And I do need to scooch it over a bit so it's not right up against our bookshelf. But laying a rug down after a bed is in the room is very hard! We got it "good enough" and decided to come back another day.



    Decorate thanked stiley
  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    stileyThank you sooo much! My husband really likes it, which rarely happens! Gonna look at it for our bedroom! You totally rock!!! Last question... Sorry! You're probably regretting helping me! Just wondering if you found a phone number for the beniouarain.com website? I can't find one. I can talk to customer service if I download an app. But I don't want to download an app I'm not familiar with. I'm not tech savvy or app savvy!!! I'm old school. Cause I'm old!! Unfamiliar apps make me nervous! And they don't allow returns. Were you able to talk with anyone?

  • 3 years ago

    I didn’t talk to anyone on the phone, but I was emailing with someone who was very responsive. Like I said, they are in Morocco, and their rugs are made by different area tribes. It is probably easier for them to communicate via email.

    nelkhang@yahoo.com

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Are you asking about area rugs or wall to wall? Look at Stanton Anywhere wall to wall; comes off the bolt at 13', so it can be run with very little waste. Love this rug...tougher than nails, washable

    Comes in lots of tones and patterns: