Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donna_cheney70

Front Steps Design & Color

Donna Cheney
last year

Hello

We just got our house resided this past fall and I would like to get rid of our cement step and replace it with a composite step. I was also thinking that the existing door should be painted a different color as well.

I'm looking for ideas for the design of the steps as well as the color.

I've attached photos of the before and after construction.

Thank you very much.

Donna

Comments (13)

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    last year
    last modified: last year

The steps seem small and temporary, as if they were preformed and dropped off the truck in front of the door. Have you investigated building a small porchlet with a bigger landing area at the house door, then adding new steps onto it leading down to the sidewalk? You have plenty of room. Google ”adding porch to a split level house.”

Composite would be fine, IMO.

• Donna Cheney
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you littlebug I'll check that out.

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

Don’t know if this could be done with composite - might need to stick with cement. But, what about extending landing out to at least edge of window on left & making curved steps up to it? This would allow step up to porch from the sidewalk running along front of house - might need to widen that ground level sidewalk to make the transition. Seems like a railing might be needed in the center - not sure how that would work. Agree on a new color for front door. The same dark color as trim on house? Black railing too. Really nice job on the new siding,

Donna Cheney thanked KW PNW Z8
  • PRO
    Cossart Design
    last year
    last modified: last year

Siding looks great! We don't have a lot of knowledge on composite but would like to add to your comment about painting the door. Something with color on the front door would be beautiful and brighten up the exterior. If you have any flowers or shrubbery that blooms in bright colors in your landscaping you could consider pulling a color out of the flowers and painting that onto the door for some continuation. Something like this;

Or if those are too bold, go a few shades lighter in whatever color goes with your exterior.

• Donna Cheney
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you Cossart Design! Love your colored doors and the idea to match them with a plant or shrub. It's actually ironic though, as I ordered a wisteria last fall for our back yard so maybe I'll rethink where it's going.

Thanks again,

Donna

• Donna Cheney
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you KW!

I really like your idea about the curved steps and extending it out to the window! I totally agree with you on the black railing and door also.

Thanks KW,

Donna

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    last year

I would go with overhang/porch to the left side and widen steps.

• Donna Cheney
    Original Author
    last year

Hmm ok thanks Celery

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

Wow! @simplynatural mockup looks wonderful!

• Donna Cheney
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you simplynatural, the wider step looks so good! Great options.

Donna

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    last year

Here are a few suggestions:

• Donna Cheney
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you Dig Doug Designs