Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mkuyekawa

Can Bright and Airy coexist with Cherry?

mkuyekawa
last year

Apologies if I posted multiple times...glitcy internet

We are redoing our home into a bright and airy, beachy kind of look. Is there a way to incorporate my cherry bedroom set? (Ignore the mess, this room is currently our bedroom, kitchen, and office haha). I am willing to switch out the headboard, but I cannot justify getting a new dresser. I have looked for photos but gotten no ideas. The second photo is a catalog photo of the new flooring, it that helps.

Comments (13)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Yes. I have cherry in my beach house. I have white walls and light floors and mostly light colors other than these elements.

mkuyekawa thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • anne
    last year

I'd use chalk paint and new hardware to repurpose your nice furniture...it's super easy to use. Only very light sanding required and easy clean up. I took a private lesson with an expert - best $70 investment for the project. Layer a couple of colors...experts can show you how. While I did different look on drawer fronts, you certainly don't have to!

• deegw
    last year
    last modified: last year

• lucillle
    last year

I think it is fine to have your beautiful cherry bedroom set in such a setting.

mkuyekawa thanked lucillle
  • lascatx
    last year
    last modified: last year

I would clean and condition the wood. For cherry, this wood looks a bit dry and some conditioning would help bring out the grain and color in the wood. Beautiful wood goes with anything (unpainted canoes, boats and woodwork on yachts -- often cherry or similar toned wood). When you get things pulled together, you can consider changing the hardware. A brushed brass would compliment that warm wood.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year

I agree - spruce it up a bit - you might even change out the hardware. Having some darker elements in a room gives the eyes someplace to rest, and balances out lighter colors.

• btydrvn
    last year

I would use it…but finish the room…install it where you want it…and then post again …asking for advice on whether the set ..as is ….works…the only problem i see is if you use the whole set…how can you make it work in a beachy setting…i think a Caribbean setting would work…with some live..sizable …greenery..sheer flowing curtains…bamboo lamps,etc.

• jojoco
    last year

It is beautiful and timeless. I would definitely use it. (Like Mtn, I have cherry in my beach house, but I also mixed in some lighter pieces as well. (anyone remember my blue nightstand and bunny lamp?)

• bbstx
    last year

If you have many cherry pieces, instead of keeping them together as a suite, spread them out in the house to lessen their impact. Put the headboard in a guest room, use the nightstands in another bedroom, keep the chest in the MBR. I agree with the posters above, painting the furniture is unecessary.

• nicole___
    last year

Cherry pieces are lovely "accent" pieces. I agree with spread them around....and do not paint them.

• mkuyekawa
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you all. I wish I had your decorating wisdom and vision!

anne . Beautiful job. Mine would definitely not turn out like that!

deegwI am a very visual learner, that first photo was especially helpful.

• anne
    last year

Yall are right! now that i see how cherry can work in beachy setting, i agree to not paint. please post an ”after” photo .