Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_339647040

In house outhouse

Jilly
last year

I was admiring the sink in this bathroom, then noticed the throne.

I have a very real phobia about port-a-potties, so this is not something I could live with.

Comments (53)

• palimpsest
    last year

This is just a very old flush toilet. The bowl is just concealed in a bench. The lever is to the right, under the plant.

Jilly thanked palimpsest
  • maddielee
    last year

Since this is your post @jilly, tell me ….. trying to ask nicely.

Do men use this convenience? Are most accurate enough to use this convenience?

Jilly thanked maddielee
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Ahh, thanks, Pal. I’ve never seen one, was wondering how it worked.

Wondering how they keep the wood sanitized without ruining it.

• Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Maddie 😁

Men, what say you?

• palimpsest
    last year

The lower seat lifts up too. See the routed bit in the center of the bench.

All toilet seats were wood until relatively recently. Actually I would prefer wood ones to plastic. Of course those were all painted and this is varnished, but if it's spar varnish, you could clean it.

Jilly thanked palimpsest
  • palimpsest
    last year

These flushed down from the rim just like more recent toilets. These took Lots of water. Some of them took something like 12 gallons. And they were very loud, so they were known as thunderboxes.

These have a pull flush rather than a lever:

Jilly thanked palimpsest
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

I have heard the term thunder boxes (and thunder buckets). :D

• palimpsest
    last year

I don't know exactly where the outlet drain is, sometimes it's kind of out the front. And I don't think they hold water in the bowl as part of the seal for sewer gas. You might be able to introduce a bit of water into the bowl. I am not exactly sure.

Jilly thanked palimpsest
  • Fori
    last year

what's wrong with the books? you know how you used to use your old Sears & Roebuck catalog? now that you have a Kindle, you use novels.

Jilly thanked Fori
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Fori! Where have you been?! I was about to put out an APB.

• teeda
    last year
    last modified: last year

Oh, yuck. I remember when wood toilet seats were popular (1980s?). My mother decided to put one on the toilet at our beach house. Two teenage brothers. Lots of visitors. It disgusted me!

Jilly thanked teeda
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

I had wood toilet seats in my first house. I did that whole country theme with blue and dusty rose.

I will not be talking about beribboned geese. And if asked, I will deny everything.

• palimpsest
    last year

But...white toilet seats were wood. We all grew up with wood toilet seats. They were just painted. They started making plastic seats in the 1970s or maybe earlier of course, but quality toilet seats were wood. Bemis toilet seats still are wood.

Jilly thanked palimpsest
  • maddielee
    last year

Painted, wood toilet seats were warmer then today’s plastic ones. <- according to my memory.

Jilly thanked maddielee
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Yes, true, good point, Pal. I actually have Bemis seats now.

For some reason, the old wood ones (not painted) would split on one side.

• amykath
    last year

That photo just made me want to run to my regular toilet and throw up! The idea and look of it just makes my stomach turn over.

Jilly thanked amykath
  • Ida
    last year

Reminds me of this toilet in Cardiff Castle. It's barely in view in this picture, and I don't remember what the thing is in the wood next to the bowl. Probably a cup holder. (Or not.)

Jilly thanked Ida
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Cup holder 😂🤢

• lucillle
    last year

Reminds me of the actual outhouse we had to use when visiting my grandparents until my grandfather finally put in indoor plumbing. And there were spiders. And it was cold in the winter.

Jilly thanked lucillle
  • oberon476
    last year

@Jilly Men, what say you?

I suspect not a popular reply, but honestly it wouldn't bother me at all. Actually I would likely be more interested in the skill of the cabinet maker who built it (joinery and such) and wouldn't otherwise really care.

Love the "to scale" spider!! lol!!

Jilly thanked oberon476
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Oberon, love your answer!

• oberon476
    last year

thanks! I like building things and really enjoy seeing quality craftsmanship, no matter the ultimate purpose.

Jilly thanked oberon476
  • kittymoonbeam
    last year

I saw something like that used as a storage. not used for plumbing. The bowl and seat were missing. A friend who used to work outside used to say any loo will do. There are some freezing cold metal seats in some of the national parks!

Jilly thanked kittymoonbeam
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

We kept our old outhouse and it still works fine. And it doesn't smell. I keep a cinnamon broom in there so it actually smells nice.

Jilly thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • colduphere
    last year

We have a painted plywood base around our outhouse seat at our cabin. i was just thinking about why it stays very clean. But of course its because all the boy pee in the bush! Styrafoam toilet seats are warmer than plastic ones.

Jilly thanked colduphere
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Kitty, I’d love a (toiletless) bench/storage in my bathroom! I’ve seen people turn their unused separate tubs into that, which is a great idea.

Ok, Annie, that is so cute … I could maybe get over my phobia if they were all like that.

Colduphere, I’ve never heard of Styrafoam seats, off to look them up! (Edit - did, those are a great idea!)

Not kidding — I’m learning some interesting things on this thread. :D

• nicole___
    last year

A must read: 🤣

Jilly...I also loved your to scale. lol I'm from Texas.....I can relate.

Pal...Thanks for explaining. Makes sense now.

Jilly thanked nicole___
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Nicole 😄

• Bunny
    last year

Nothing about this creeps me out. But I'm not sure, if I had this room as is, that I'd use it for its original intended purpose. It's such a cute room and I love the orange trim, even the wallpaper and painted radiator. I'd want it to be a little reading room.

As for nasty restrooms, I'm an any-port-in-a-storm person.

Jilly thanked Bunny
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Bunny, isn’t that orange trim wonderful? I’m going to see if I can hunt down what it is ….

• palimpsest
    last year

Actually I know two people who got a rat in their bathroom through a regular flush toilet and one who got bit on the @ss by a pet snake which had hidden in the toilet, so I think your feelings of security about your bathroom at home may be misplaced .

Jilly thanked palimpsest
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

PAL

PAL!!

Omg. I’m going back to chamber pots.

• Oakley
    last year

The room itself is drop dead gorgeous. But the potty? Unsanitary is all I have to say. Just put a regular seat and lay a wooden lid over it.

I have to tell you what happened to a friend and I when we went to a daytime outdoor concert. Lots of people there. We both had to go really bad and someone told us where the "bathrooms" are. One for each sex.

There was a long rectangle curtain which hid the makeshift bathrooms. We go inside and there's a long row of potties with no privacy, but it was just us. Right before we began the procedure we realized at the same time there wasn't a curtain behind them and anyone could walk around since it was out in the country.

All of a sudden we didn't have to go anymore. 👀👀👀

• Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

For fun — the designer of that bathroom and more beautiful rooms she’s designed. I love her use of colors:

https://suzannahlockwood.com/gallery/

I can’t find the paint color - the wallpaper is from Lewis & Wood.

• teeda
    last year

A snake in the toilet is my worse nightmare!

Jilly thanked teeda
  • Oakley
    last year

Ida, living in the same region as you, outhouses scared me to death. I knew a rattlesnake would be right under me & ready to strike.

Do you remember when canned veggies from the garden would be stored in the cellar? DH's grandmother had a bunch of canned veggies in hers and there was no way I'd ever go down there in a tornado because I knew a rattler or fiddleback would be there.

When we had our cellar built we had a lot of canned veggies also. I caught DH getting ready to take them to the cellar and I stopped him in his tracks. He built two picnic benches for seating, so it was nice and airy.

The cellar people had him build benches for them in his spare time which was pretty cool.

The first time we had to use tghe cellar was only a month or two after it was built. DS2 was here and I gave him a flashlight to inspect the cellar for spiders and stuff, and I insisted he look under the benches also before we went down. He raised his voice and said "There's a (insert expletive) Black Widow under a bench! Raid Wasp and Hornet spray did the trick. Now we spray the cellar right before spring and we've never had another spider.

We later learned it was likely there because it was in freshly dug dirt where they like to hang out, and found it's way inside.

Jilly thanked Oakley
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Oakley, last summer I was on the patio, in a wicker chair, and a Black Widow was under the arm rest. I felt her leg on my finger (their legs are very stiff-like) before I realized. Luckily, she didn’t munch on my finger! :D

• Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

There are also websites that will teach how women can pee standing up...highly recommended knowledge to have, esp for me as a frequent hiker.

• daisychain Zn3b
    last year

This is TMI, but we don't have running water in our lake house November to April. I have done so much research into alternative toilets, that this set up seems positively upscale.

Jilly thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • bbstx
    last year

AD, DD and DSIL are going on a camping/rafting tour of the Grand Canyon in a couple of months. For Christmas, as a joke, I gave her a SheeWee. She was thrilled!

Jilly thanked bbstx
  • Oakley
    last year

Ida, this is such a coincidence. This afternoon I was reading about Henry Herbert, 2nd Earl of Pembroke, & Katherine Grey. I actually looked him up again while reading and according to Wikipedia He's the one responsible for the costly restoration of Cardiff Castle.

Jilly thanked Oakley
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    last year

Family porta-potty rules. Don't breathe, don't touch, don't dally, and if at all possible, don't even go in.

Jilly thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    last year

I have a different version of the shee-wee, but I strongly suggest practice to use it. It is a very different experience...

For just going while standing up, the shower is the perfect place to perfect the art.

• Ally De
    last year

We have black widows outside around our home in southern coastal Delaware. I'm not happy about that, but "outside" is a darned big place and it turns out my feelings about their presence have zero impact on them. Ha.

I regret to admit that when I found a dead one in the cellar, I went to Defcon 5. I'm sorry, but I have dogs who love to snuffle through crevices, cracks, and all dark spaces and I won't share my actual home with venomous critters. I went from, "I won't use pesticides inside my home" to "nuke them, nuke it all!"

I hired pest control, they spray my cellar on a routine basis. I hate them spraying pesticides, but I hate black widows even more. After the 1st and 2nd applications more dead ones turned up in the cellar - but we've been blissfully black widow free inside for over a year now.

I'll probably die from the effects of the pesticides.

Jilly thanked Ally De
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Ally 😁

• Lars
    last year

I visited Jack Larsen's penthouse on 10th Avenue in the West Village in 1992 (for dinner), and the guest bathroom (powder room) had a similar bench toilet, but it was marble instead of wood and had two seats, as I remember.

I did not have a problem with it, and I thought the marble was beautiful. I was in New York for an awards banquet with my boss, and Jack Larsen's partner had previously worked with my boss, which is how I met him and got invited to dinner. I was meeting with some of our suppliers in NY while I was there.

Jilly thanked Lars
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    last year

Lars, I’d love to see how his apt looked in ’92! What a neat experience. :)