Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta R 2022 ...................

It is 5:05am and 67 degrees outside. I am going to die this summer. I have been out watching for owls. None so far.

So I will need to feast my eyes on some Rs today:

Have a good day!

Comments (33)

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    last year
    last modified: last year

Who knew Rainbow's End grew between 2 Galaxies? Me that's who. Like it's "sportscaster" Obsession - I'm trying to coin a new term for the sport parent - I'm sure there's already a term for it, but due to CRS, I don't remember, otherwise why would I try to coin a new term when I can't even remember the old ones - it always looks wet, especially when it really is wet.

Woot! First one to post Rainbow's End.

A doug Beilstein special, Rowan My Boat - nope it isn't just emerging, it's the middle of June.

a fourfer specail (more new words) clockwise from upper left: Reptilian, Fluted Fountain, Grecian Vase and Spartacus.

Ruffed Up

i love the soft frosty green of a newly emerging blue Hosta like Ruffles and Ridges

and the shiny blue after a rain

• Beth - Michigan 6A
    last year

I can't believe we are on "R's" already. Beautiful R's already.

Rainbow's End

Rainforest Sunrise

Raspberry Sorbet - looked ratty later in the season, maybe it was too hot and dry.

Red Hot Poker

Regal Promenade

Regal Rhubarb

• Beth - Michigan 6A
    last year

Part 2

Regal Splendor

Revolution

Robert Frost

Rocket's Red Glare

Royal Tiara - doing much better with more sunlight, the rest of the garden in the back is in decline.

• bkay2000
    last year

Steve, love all those ruffles.

bkay

• hosta_maker
    last year

Red rim cutie

A revolution seedling that went to a border

Red tubes seedling

More red tubes seedlings

A venusta

• hosta_maker
    last year

Would you buy a hosta for its flowers?

even if the foliage is pretty plain?

chime in wth your answers

Doug beilstein has been working with the red siebodi hostas

here are some of them

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    last year

That GPS pic is so disorienting.

Very nice Gary.

Steve I love ruffles too. Rowan my Boat is super.

Beth that Robert Frost is looking good. I lost mine in a pot before I had a chance to plant it. I was not happy.

hosta_maker all great seedlings. Those are great flowers from DB. Yes I would get one for the flowers. I have Ki-ren-jyaku coming and it certainly qualifies in that respect. There seems to be confusion on the spelling of this one.

Rainbow's End

Rainforest Sunrise

Red October

Regal Splendor is so big it is getting difficult to photograph in this spot.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    last year

The only hosta I have grown for its flowers is Aphrodite-I wanted the fragrance!!!

last year

A few more.

Reversed. This is the only pic I got this year.

Riviera Sunset

Royal Standard

Rubies and Ruffles is very young.

Ruffled Mouse Ears

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    last year

steve..love the combination of your Japanese Painted fern with Ruffles and Ridges..

Beth..love Rocket’s Red Glare and Red Hot Poker..both have my favorite vase shape..

hosta_maker..yes I would buy a hosta for beautiful blooms..I prefer plain leaves..they wouldn’t be a dealbreaker for me..

I have 3 R’s..I used this pic several times already Lol..there’s a Regal Splendor with a Krossa Regal on the left..see them?..left side near the center of the photo..

Rainforest Sunrise needs a good cleaning..haha..one of the 3 is reverting..

Royal Standard..

Laurie..your Regal Splendor is so wide that it doesn’t seem tall!!!..mine is one third? or one fourth? of yours..

last year

Ann I see them sota, kinda lol! It will be fun for you to get pics this year especially since you are getting folders organized. Rainforest Sunrise really is a debris catcher, mine are the same. I have had my RS for a long time now. It is over 6 1/2 across. Yours will be too!

• Beth - Michigan 6A
    last year

I think I would buy a plain Jane hosta for it's blooms of the blooming period lasted long and the hosta looked ok through the season.  Hosta maker some of those blooms look amazing.

BTW I labeled two hostas"red hot poker". The second picture is regal promenade.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    last year

Beth..I thought they were different!..so the upright without light margins is Regal Promenade?..good to know..

in case you don’t know..if you posted from Gardenweb you can edit and change the name..that’s why I use GW..

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last year

Paula, at 5:05 am I am fast asleep!! I hope your owl watching pays off! That Escher GPS cracked me up! I wish it was 67 here…….it’s 13 F and sunny, the only positive of the recent cold spell we are having.

Gary, that is a great Rhino Hide. I bought one, but it dwindled to nothing. I probably didn’t site it well… I love Royal Tiara…..is it a slug magnet like the others?

Steve, I am liking the colors of Rowan My Boat and Ruffles and ridges……I love blues and yellows.

Beth, lovely Rainforest Sunrise! Such clean leaves, lol…. Regal Promenade is gorgeous! Beautiful Robert Frost. I haven’t seen anyone else post this one.

Hosta_maker, Red Rim Cutie is…..well, cute. Such subtle coloring. All the seedlings are keepers! And, yes, I would buy a hosta for the flowers….. I already have! I purchased “oh My Heart” for the flower head and it is basically a green hosta. Also, I bought Plantaginea for the flower fragrance, but alas, it didn’t make it. I think a bigger plant to start with would survive. Those Belstein flowers are stunning…..

Peren, you Al’s have so many good hostas…..Your Regal Splendor is gorgeous! That first photo may be one for the HL, to show the size. Riviera Sunset is so subtle in its coloring, love….. and alas, my Ruffled ME will never live up to yours I fear…….yours RME got me to buy it. Does yours get much sun? Also one for the HL.

Ann, I see your Regal Splendor!! It is tall…..as yours grows more, maybe it will widen like Laurie’s??? Nice pic of Royal Standard’s flower…..it’s a fragrant one! I thought I was the only one using the GW. How do you access it so it doesn’t go to the houzz app?

debra

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last year

Here are my Rs:

debra

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last year

A couple more:

debra

• bkay2000
    last year

Yes, I would definitely buy a hosta with flowers like Beilstein breeds. In fact, when I was putting my order together for hosta this year, I tried to find out which one of his hosta had the great flowers. Unfortunately, I maxed out my budget before I figured out how to find them. You always need some less showy hosta, so that you have a place for your "eyes to rest" (a quilting term).

bk

last year

Debra thank you for the kind words!. Another wonderful Robert Frost, lucky you. Your RME will catch up to mine in no time as it is a fast grower. Yours is looking great! Mine gets sun until 2:30 - 3:00 but my zone is colder than yours by far. I am on the edge of 4b. I use GW and here is a Link to GW I hope it helps.

• hosta_maker
    last year

if the beilstein plants are in tc solberg will probably sell them first

here are his new registrations on the reddish flowers

http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.php?id=50328

http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.php?id=50329

http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.php?id=50313

http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.php?id=50330

http://www.hostaregistrar.org/detail.php?id=50331

interesting breeding note. i crossed war and peace with a blusher, the seedling was a blusher. ...but it also completely overtook the reddish flower color. so i assume most of his were crossed within the same line to keep the flower colors.

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    last year

Rainforest Sunrise

Regal Splendor

Remember Me

Royal Standard

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    Original Author
    last year

I actually have 2 Rs. And I got photos!

Red October

Remember Me in the blue pot

About 2 weeks ago I find this lounging about in the greenhouse. Remember Me? Well actually I don't think I did. Time to go.

I had to turn on the air conditioning today as it was 81 in the house. I have a feeling I will be on owl watch for a while. I would like to see what is out there so I can alert people and their pets. So many wonderful hostas I have been making a list.

• indianagardengirl
    last year

H_m, YES. That’s all, just yes. 😊

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last year

Bkay, I learned something from you today…… that quilting term, to let the eyes rest..…. I never thought of that in a garden…….makes complete sense! ☺️

one more photo of Robert Frost:

so much change since 5/20

debra

• mbug_gw
    last year

Good ones Paula, I'd love a cold beer too!

Steve and Gary....nice picks of Rainbow's End and Galaxies and RS and the pumpkins

peren.....Regal Splendor and RE look great

Hosta_maker......, Red Rim Cutie is new to me. Very nice

debra.....love the Ruffled Mouse Ears in bloom

Rainbow's End 5-20-20

Rainforest Sunrise 6-3-22.

Raspberry Sorbet 5-11-21

Red Hot Poker 5-22-22

Regal Promenade 5-12-22

• mbug_gw
    last year

More Rs.....

Regal Splendor 6-1-22

Ripple Effect 5-22-22

Risky Business 5-24-22

Rocket's Red Glare 6-3-22

Rubies and Ruffles 6-3-22

• old_dirt 6a
    last year

Wow, R's are very popular and nice!

I was planning to buy Plantagenia for its flower but recieved a few divisions from my BIA last year. I actually had a few blooms the first year, looking forward to it this coming year.

Rainbow's End - The ever popular

Rainforest Sunrise

Raspberry Sundae

Risky Business

• old_dirt 6a
    last year

A few more

Royal Standard - I hope/think?

Remember Me

Revolution

Regal Splendor

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    last year

mbug, love your dog and puppy statue in the garden…..Ripple Effect got my attention when it was on the cover of one of the hosta publications in the last year……yours is very nice. Does it get much sun?? Also, I don’t know your zone, am wondering if it’s 5 or 5b like me. All of your hostas look perfect! No burns, frost damage or even munchies damage…. How do you do it? One more thing, I see you have hostas in pots…..how do you overwinter them?

Old_dirt, your hostas are beautiful as well! All your medio-variegated ones look terrific! I always thought those were a bit more picky about their conditions. Do you think they are? Also, Royal Standard has a pure white flower whereas Honeybells is more lavender. To me, the foliage looks like RS. Your Regal Splendor is lovely!

debra

• bkay2000
    last year

You didn't ask me, but I agree that white centered medio-variegated hosta can be difficult. I loved Ann Kulpa, but the center melted out at about 6 weeks. I never had any problems with some of the other white centered hosta like Night before Christmas, but I finally threw Ann Kulpa in the trash.

bkay

• mbug_gw
    last year

old dirt....those are some great Rs

debra ....I'm in NJ....6a or 6b, I'm not sure. Ripple Effect gets a good dose of afternoon sun from around 2pm. I have covers for my deck and patio furniture. I usually just slide the pots underneath. Easy, and seems to work.

• old_dirt 6a
    last year

debra - yes, several of the white centered ones get to be problematic. Beside being slug magnetics they also tend to tatter and leaves split.

bkay - Funny, I had the opposite, my Ann Kulpa did quite well for several years but my NBC has always been ragged.

mbug_gw - thanks :-)

last year

Shadow really lovely.

Paula you have a couple of good ones there. Red October has so much to offer with those red legs and white leaf backs. I would gladly change my weather for yours. It is going to feel like -36C tomorrow with the wind chill. That would be -33 F.

Wow Debra, very nice.

Thank you mbug. I agree that Ripple Effect is a standout but then all of yours are.

Beauties old_dirt.