Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_538255924

living room design

HU-538255924
last year

We just moved into a new house. Living room has 12ft high ceilings, lots of windows with natural light and orange wood trim. Walls are cool gray. It open concept living room/ dining room/ kitchen. We live in Canadian Rockies.

Not sure how to decorate it. Or place the furniture.

• advise need what to do with the oversized mantel for balance and impact. I’m thinking a painting of some kind? What color would give the most impact with the warm orange wood trim?

• what to do with the little corner just behind the arm chairs?

• where to place the sideboard/ buffet

(Please ignore the little table - a proper coffee table is arriving on Wednesday. I’m going after modern farmhouse/ mid century modern style.)

Comments (14)

• Susan
    last year

I’d turn the living room rug 90 degrees, then swap the sofa with the chairs. That way the seating area will be a little more open and roomier. The sofa will fit better in front of the waist high ledge. The chairs can be separated and angled a bit and the small table can go between them. I’d also move the dining chair at the head of the table near the window to the opposite end so it is easier to access/sit down/enjoy the view. We can’t make any suggestions regarding the sideboard until you show us pics of the rest of the area.

• HU-538255924
    Original Author
    last year

This is great. Thank you! The mountains are visible from the windows which the sofa is currently facing (not the opposite window). I will move it on the opposite angle as suggested to see if that works better. Thank you! I attached more photos of the whole area.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    last year

Congratulations on your new house!!! It’s really beautiful. As long as you are not running around naked on your main floor, I would ditch the miniblinds and use sheer curtain panels. It will be more attractive, let in light, but you won’t be anything other than a fuzzy shape to someone who is passing by. And Yes to a nice piece of art over the mantle. What about something with greens, golds, maybe a hint of orange?

• ShadyWillowFarm
    last year

Just browse around.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    last year

What color are your walls?

• HU-538255924
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you. Those are custom Hunter Douglas shutters it looks like , not regular blinds…I don’t like them much either..I’m thinking to add nice linen style curtains (I added already 2 panels to the window by the kitchen (leading to patio). How ever I feel like I need to raise them
    Above the top window. However ceiling are so high it will a be challenge to find anything fitting the length and not cost thousands of dollars. What would you do with the curtains on the right side window, which is shorter and falls just above the ledge? Go with shorter length curtains?

• ShadyWillowFarm
    last year

You want long curtains- there is a curtain guide floating around that someone will kindly post I am sure. The corners may be a bit of a challenge too, the curtain experts will give you advice on that too.

• HU-538255924
    Original Author
    last year

Walls @shadyillowfarm - walls are gray. Neutral gray.

• Susan
    last year

I don’t see a spot for the sideboard…

• HU-538255924
    Original Author
    last year

@Susan- I know. I have to fit it somewhere as we don’t have much storage space here at all :(

• skynina
    last year

Is there room to face the sofa in front of the fireplace with the sideboard as a sofa table, then place a chair on each side of the fireplace angled toward the sofa?

• HU-538255924
    Original Author
    last year

Yes. I will try that :). Thanks

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    last year

In your first picture it appears that all the furniture is setting on rug-islands to keep from falling into the ocean. LOL flashback to when I was very young! Seriously, there’s no need to squeeze the furniture onto the rugs.

Nice place! Mountain views sounds wonderful.

• HU-538255924
    Original Author
    last year

Yeah, we just randomly threw the furniture. I still struggle with the scale of the room as everything seems bigger, higher, wider then our previous place. But thank you- you made me laugh @littlebug :)