Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
estherb2

When would I expect buds on panicle hydrangea Strawberry Vanilla?

My roses are budding leaves, my dwarf spirea Candy Corn and dwarf weigela My Monet (purple) are budding leaves, but not my other dwarf spirea, dwarf crape myrtles, or Strawberry Vanilla hydrangea. This is my first experience with these, so I'm not sure when to expect leaf buds. We've had a very mild winter this year.

Comments (4)

• luis_pr
    last year
    last modified: last year

They are breaking dormancy early. Hydrangea Vanilla Strawberry (VS) is a mid-season hydrangea paniculata summer bloomer. Paniculatas like it begin to develop flower buds depending on their geographical location, weather, etc. but you could say the invisible buds start in late spring or early summer and blooms start soon afterwards so June-July. Here in Texas, VS leafs out in March and blooms in June (it should leaf out later up north though).

Crape Myrtles are notoriously very late to leaf out here in Dallas, somewhere between April to May in some years. CMs are currently asleep. Roses here tend to stay evergreen in most years albeit with fewer old leaves by this time and with some leaf out in Feb-March. Spireas are quite hardy, almost impossible to winter kill here. Mine are still dormant in Texas.

But sometimes a mild winter with a surprise cold ending is worse than a cold snowy winter. In Atlanta, this happened several decades ago and a large percentage of trees got killed. Periodically check the 10-15 days weather forecasts. Depending on exactly how warm things are, consider mulching, covering with sheets and deeply watering the early risers before any overnight crash in temperatures that might be followed with cold drying winds.

Winter has been unusually warm here too; already hit 90F a week ago. Leafing out over here are roses, irises, salvias, azaleas, forsythias, some hydrangeas and a few trees. Blooming are some azaleas, camellia japonicas, winter honeysuckle, flowering quince and redbuds. If cold temperatures return with a vengeance, you may need to protect some plants and remove some dead wood afterwards. It should not impact Vanilla Strawberry's summer blooms. Good luck, Luis

Esther-B, Zone 7a thanked luis_pr
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    last year

i learned to never be happy about a mild winter.. and early budding.. it usually results in frost or freeze damage due to early budding... but then.. im in a much colder zone ...

i hope that doesnt happen to you ... or your plants ...its a big year.. and im sure you are very excited ...

ken

Esther-B, Zone 7a thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • Esther-B, Zone 7a
    Original Author
    last year

You bet I'm very excited; it will be the first spring/summer I'll have post landscaping. Unlike the first summer, I now have my backyard fence, backyard raised beds, backyard lawn torn out and seeded with grass, front yard planting beds all planted, etc. And I am anxiously awaiting to see my plan writ large in living blooming plants! Of the plants already budding, only one of the dozen roses I planted along my picket fence lacks new buds and seems like it might be a goner. The rest all have leafed out to various extents. According to the PlantMap last spring frost charts, looks like Baltimore is April 11-20. So we have a ways to go with potential killing frosts, yikes!

• charles kidder
    last year

I'm a little west of you in montogmery county. It's been a very mild winter. Maybe the most mild I can remember. Lots of thing are growing early. Most can take a little cold. Hydrangea don't like cold on their leaves, so if yours hasn't leafed out yet, it's a blessing.

Esther-B, Zone 7a thanked charles kidder
Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville