Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmor

What is this piece of needlework?

happy2b…gw
11 months ago
last modified: 11 months ago

I purchased this lovely needlework at a thrift store recently. The material is felted wool. The shape is unusual as the top is narrower than the bottom. I am wondering about its function and origin. It looks like the year 1916 and initials are stitched near the top center. It is a pretty piece, and I would like to know more about it. What do you think? For some reason I cannot see the photos in this post unless I click on the box with the question mark.

Comments (32)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    11 months ago

Can it really be that old, do you think? It looks sort of Scandinavian. What is in the center of the numbers? Maybe they aren't a date.

The bottom's cut off in your photo, so it's hard to tell exactly how long it is.

Perhaps it's meant to fold over where the flowers change directions? Then the number might be 91-61...?

happy2b…gw thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • happy2b…gw
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Here is a picture so that you can see the bottom.

• happy2b…gw
    Original Author
    11 months ago

My first thought was Nordic or Scandinavian also.

• Jilly
    11 months ago

I wish I could help, it’s so lovely! I’m really curious about the shape and what it signifies.

Great find! Where are you planning to put it?

happy2b…gw thanked Jilly
  • linda campbell
    11 months ago

I have seen similar work on felted fabric and it was Indian....as in the continent. And the flowers do look a little like a lotus.

But what it's for?? and the Indian idea is just that.....could be Finnish?

I trust you have searched using google lens.....

happy2b…gw thanked linda campbell
  • PRN
    11 months ago

It looks to me to be shaped like a stringed instrument. Maybe that's a clue to help figure out it's purpose.

happy2b…gw thanked PRN
  • beesneeds
    11 months ago

What does the back of it look like? What are it's dimensions?

happy2b…gw thanked beesneeds
  • bbstx
    11 months ago

Could it be a wall hanging. Maybe a more contemporary take on the needlepoint bell pulls from the 70s?

happy2b…gw thanked bbstx
  • maddielee
    11 months ago

What does the back look like? I’m mostly wondering if there is a lining with an opening so you could put something, like a Strumstick, in it.

happy2b…gw thanked maddielee
  • chinacatpeekin
    11 months ago

So pretty! Could it be Ukrainian?

happy2b…gw thanked chinacatpeekin
  • jemdandy
    11 months ago

If it was truly made in 1916, my guess is its a student's project to present to the instructor for certifying that they have achieved a required level of needle working skill.

The colors seem too bright to be over 100 years old unless it was stored in the dark.

happy2b…gw thanked jemdandy
  • beesneeds
    11 months ago

I'm still wondering if it might be machined, which would be post 1964. Difficult to tell without seeing the back.

happy2b…gw thanked beesneeds
  • Michael Hilber
    11 months ago

I think 1916 has to do with commemorating World War One.

There are many pieces of needlework with 1916 on them, but actually made who knows when.

happy2b…gw thanked Michael Hilber
  • Oakley
    11 months ago

Beautiful. It looks like a table runner to me.

happy2b…gw thanked Oakley
  • Oakley
    11 months ago

It also looks like an Advent wreath. Looks like the white candle is at the very top.

ETA: I need to stop saying "looks." lol

• robo (z6a)
    11 months ago

Can I post one picture of this on another forum? (What is this thing on Reddit?) I’m very curious!

• linda campbell
    11 months ago

Of course.....and there are various facebook groups that might offer info.

• happy2b…gw
    Original Author
    11 months ago

@robo (z6a), It is absolutely okay. Others may be able to offer some clues as to its origin and purpose. Thank you for asking.

• happy2b…gw
    Original Author
    11 months ago

My friend has the needlework now. She is bringing it to a needlework shop today to have the piece examined by a knowledgeable employee. I will let you know what if anything we learn. Our next stop is to ask a local antigue textile restoration museum and shop to examine it.

@Oakley, someone else suggested that a menorah is depicted in the piece. So similar thought so a similar in thought as yours.

• Oakley
    11 months ago

Happy, there's a difference between a menorah and advent wreath/candle holder.

A menorah has 8 candle holders while an advent candle holder has 5.

• happy2b…gw
    Original Author
    11 months ago

The middle looks like a flower to me too.

• Michael Hilber
    11 months ago

If the flower is a poppy that's a symbol of war dead. And 1916 was a year of heavy casualties in World War One. I speculate. At the bottom there is a flower vase, maybe with poppies in it, and the vase has a picture of a bird, maybe a dove for peace. Even the stem the bird is perched on may be the stemj of a poppy plant.

"In the British Empire and America, poppies became a symbol of human life lost in war and were adopted as an emblem of remembrance from 1921."

"the Somme offensive was begun on July 1, 1916, by the 11 British divisions...

In the event, the 60,000 attacking British infantrymen moving forward in symmetrical alignment at a snail’s pace enforced by each man’s 66 pounds (30 kilograms) of cumbrous equipment were mowed down in masses by the German machine guns, and the day’s casualties were the heaviest ever sustained by a British army."

happy2b…gw thanked Michael Hilber
  • happy2b…gw
    Original Author
    11 months ago

It is very interesting and plausible that the needlework could be related to WWI.

@Michael Hilber, thank you. The flowers can certainly be poppies.

• robo (z6a)
    11 months ago

Happy 2b - how big is it? Like how long? Do you have a picture of the back?

• colleenoz
    11 months ago

The all red flowers below the large central tulip-like flower might be stylised poppies, but none of the other flowers look as if they’re intended to represent poppies. The dark green stems with rows of straight branches on both sides may be intended to represent rosemary, which represents remembrance and is often worn at memorial services.

• blubird
    10 months ago

The large red flower reminds of a stylized pomegranate.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

IMO, only the twin red flowers below the large central one might be construed to resemble poppies. The large central flower may be a tulip. To me, they do look like traditional Polish or other folk art flower designs, tho.

Don't we have a member, nhbaskets, who does lots of embroidery? She might know more...

• Kimberly Rose
    10 months ago

Here are some traditional Scandinavian and Dutch embroidery images.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    7 months ago

At the top where the numbers are, it looks like Jul 6 1916, Perhaps that commenerates the Somme offensive as Michael Hilber indicates above. The public probably would not have heard about this event for several days, per perhaps explaining the few days date discrepancy.

debra

• elcieg
    6 months ago

Late to the party, but throwing out, Swedish and it is a wall hanging.

• maire_cate
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

The American Swedish Historical Museum is located in Philadelphia and is the oldest Swedish museum in the US. While their focus is primarily Swedish they also include other Scandinavian countries. Their museum shop is where I first encountered Dala horses and Ekelund textiles. I wonder if you might contact them?

Maire

https://www.americanswedish.org/about