Software
Houzz Logo Print
isherwood777

Returning phal passion

3 years ago

I'm returning to this Forum after many years of being too busy to learn anything instructive about imy nterest in orchids. My life has changed drastically and I am newly eager to learn the proper way to grow phalaenopsis. I've been mostly watching orchid videos on YouTube but don't know which ones are the best, if any. I'm picking up my phals from grocery stores because I don't know any better yet. I'm hoping jane__ny (and all the super-knowledgeable others) is still contributing to this forum as she was of so much help to me in the past. Right now I have just one question that keeps haunting me and then I will continue to read as muich as I can before I start bugging you: if phal roots like air and water, and are naturally grown on trees in the rain forest, why cannot we place them in pots without bark or spag or anything else? I mean, I understand the holes in the side of clay or plastic pots, but why anything else besides roots in the pot?

Comments (3)

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    You can, if you have the humidity levels of the areas where they grow naturally, and you water/fertilize often enough.

    Vandas are often grown this way. I have two pots of Tolumnias that seem very happy to have an empty pot.

    Pat Z5or6 SEMich thanked dbarron
  • 3 years ago

    Pat, First, let me say welcome back. “Orchiditis” is a very difficult “disease” to cure, as you apparently are finding out. It can also be a very rewarding “disease” to have, and I hope it turns out to be that and much more for you this time around.

    In my opinion, orchids are some of the most rewarding plants to grow because they are so tolerant of culture errors. I don’t mean to say you can treat them just any way you want to, but so long as you meet their basic needs, they will tolerate a few environmental short comings along the way, and I know a lot of plants that will not let you do that.

    Now, to your last question, can you grow Phalaenopsis in a clay pot with no potting mix. Answer, is yes-so long as you are willing to turn your growing space into a tropical rain forest, and maintain that environment for as long as you grow Phal’s.

    My suggestion is for you to purchase a few books on orchid culture that include the types of orchids you intend to grow, and as you are studying these books, apply a great deal of plain old common sense to what you are reading, because almost every "culture expert" has personal opinions about how you should grow your orchids, and the implication usually is "My way is best". I prefer to find out how the plant grows in nature and try to duplicate that, and If it works, fine. If not, modify the method and try again.

    Think about the tree trunks, limbs, and rock faces in a tropical jungle. That is where your Phal’s and other orchids grow in nature. What do those trees and rocks really look like in the jungles? They are covered with a mind-boggling number of mosses, lichens, bromeliads, dead leaves, and on and on. Oh, there are orchids there too. The Epiphytic orchids attach to the bark of the tree, and send their roots out looking for nourishment and moisture.

    When it rains, all this mess of plants gets soaking wet, and soon after it stops raining, most of the water drips off the limbs, but because the airborne humidity is so high, deep down in this covering of plant life it never really gets dry. The orchid roots grow all through this, and are basically damp all the time, but are exposed to moving air all the time, which prevents standing water from keeping them really soaking wet.

    That’s what you are looking for in your potted orchids. We grow epiphytic orchids in medium that we can soak with water, and have the excess drain off rapidly. The medium in the pot remains damp, but is porous enough to allow airflow through it and around the plant roots, preventing root rot, and allowing you to only have to water when the medium dries out.

    Excuse the rambling, but when it comes to plants, I have a hard time being brief and to the point. A lot of new growers tend to want to reproduce a tropical environment in their growing spaces, whereas I, am attempting to create most of my tropical environment inside the pot, and only modifying the growing room’s environment just enough so that the plant can forgive that error in environment in exchange for the better environment in the pot around its roots. Make sense?

    Bill

    Pat Z5or6 SEMich thanked Billsc
  • 3 years ago

    Billsc, you are a gem for taking the time to offer your (great) advice. I thank you with all my heart.

    Pat

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Remodeling Company in New Albany, Ohio