Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kswl3

The Perfect House

Kswl
11 months ago

https://apps.realtor.com/mUAZ/6mv154er

Not too big, not too small, generously sized rooms, a beautiful back yard, lots of nooks and crannies inside.

My style kitchen— one to cook in, not entertain in.

There’s work to be done— the house needs a garage, the bathrooms remodeled, kitchen counters and backsplashes changed, lots of shelving upgraded to proper built- ins, etc , but this is a wonderful house, practically perfect in every way in my eyes.

There’s an article about it in today’s Times. Andre Talley lived in it until he died last year. Apparently ALL the carpet is leopard patterned!

Comments (22)

• DLM2000-GW
    11 months ago

Beautiful, gracious, classic. I have a soft spot for colonials - our old house was a mini version, cottage colonial.

Kswl thanked DLM2000-GW
  • Feathers11
    11 months ago

I saw this, this morning and read the article. I love the house. The carpet is spot on (see what I did there?), and it does have so many interesting details. I've never seen built-ins on the side of the fireplace like that (facing to the side).

Can anyone explain what appears to be dual angled fireplaces in the back of the house (office/den)?

Kswl thanked Feathers11
  • Jilly
    11 months ago

1854! Love it.

I think I could get DH to move back to NY (dependent on lottery winnings).

These Texas summers are killing me … I need to move north.

Kswl thanked Jilly
  • sas95
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

I don't live too far from this house. The home is nice, the neighborhood is not all that desirable. That is why the price is so reasonable in Westchester County.

Kswl thanked sas95
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    11 months ago

I wondered about that, Sas. The price seems very low for the amount of land and size of house, even with so manyneeded updates.

• maddielee
    11 months ago

I was really liking it til ….

There has to be a better place or way to hide the laundry.

Kswl thanked maddielee
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Yes, a laundry relocation to the second floor is a must do.

• pricklypearcactus
    11 months ago

I really like the property and the exterior is pretty. The interior isn't really my thing although I can aesthetically appreciate it. Fun to look at!

Kswl thanked pricklypearcactus
  • nekotish
    11 months ago

Love the exterior, the interior would need a lot of changes to make me happy. Where we live, that price would get you a small detached, older home on very little land or a higher end townhome. Just crazy.

Kswl thanked nekotish
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    11 months ago

Much too big for me, both inside and out. Kitchen seems too long and narrow and possibly a through route? And where are the internal doors?

Kswl thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    11 months ago

There aren’t that many rooms; the size is in the gracious proportions. A four bed, two and a half bath home is a good size for a family of four, leaving one bedroom for guests or to use as an office or an upstairs box room, or as a tv roon/den/ snug, etc.

• Sueb20
    11 months ago

The interior doesn’t thrill me, but I love the exterior!

Kswl thanked Sueb20
  • Ida Claire
    11 months ago

It's lovely. Classic, timeless, elegant. It somehow seems to "live larger" than its 3,600 square feet -- which is really not that huge of a house. I personally prefer a more rustic style in a different geographical setting, but I absolutely appreciate this home for what and where it is.

Kswl thanked Ida Claire
  • Lars
    11 months ago

My perfect house would look more like this, not too big, not too small, and in a style that I love. Or this Eichler house, although the agave in the back would have to be removed before it got too big, like the one I have:

Mine started out small like the one in their photo, but I knew it would grow to be huge.

Kswl thanked Lars
  • roarah
    11 months ago

Too big for my family but if i was into increasing my environmental footprint it is in a style and of an age I like. I believe in the theory that more than 600 sqft per person is wasteful. Likely not allowed to add an attached garage though.

Kswl thanked roarah
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    11 months ago

With more than an acre, surely they’d get planning permission for a two car garage.

One could also make a ”green” argument for buying an existing house over building new, even if the resale allocates more than your preferred 600 sq ft per person.

• roarah
    11 months ago

my family is small but i hope a larger family can enjoy this house :)

A detached garage would be ok but in my neighborhood of all older houses built when attatched garages where deemed unsafe it is considered non-conforming to build an attached garage even with fireproofing because they do not fit the character of the neighborhood. I love this code for we have no front facing garages in my hood. This code is very common in older established neighborhoods in the tristate area.

Kswl thanked roarah
  • sas95
    11 months ago

This neighborhood isn't a gracious neighborhood filled with historic homes. It's kind of a hodgepodge of 50's splits and 80's contemporaries and raised ranches. I would be surprised if there were many houses on the street without attached garages.

Kswl thanked sas95
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    11 months ago

As you say, a detached garage —perhaps in the style of a carriage house—would make a very nice addition to the property, and it would add value as well.

• jill302
    11 months ago

Swooning, love this house. Yes, there are a few things I would want to change but overall it is lovely. The leopard carpet is a plus for me.

Kswl thanked jill302
  • Allison0704
    11 months ago

I like the lot, fireplaces, wood flooring (but not the color) and crown moulding in the main rooms. Also the upper foyer handrail. I would pass on the house.

Kswl thanked Allison0704