Software
Houzz Logo Print
lscheffler86

What would you do with this space?

3 years ago

I’m looking for ideas for this 8x10 space. This is where everyone gathers, for breakfast, happy hour, late night chats…but I know it could be better. I’m just not sure where to start. We recently redid our kitchen and do have a dining room that we use for Sunday dinners and most other nights too. Thanks!

Comments (30)

  • 3 years ago

    Here are some pictures

  • 3 years ago

    I would hang a light fixture over the table and add a gallery wall or a large piece of art on the back wall

  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    IMO if you have DR use it and that space could be really nice with maybe a soaf and a chair for those chats and drinks.maybe even 4 chairs if they are the right proportion for the space . I honestly have never had 2 actual sit down dining spaces so see no need for them. I have 2 stools at my island for a quick bite when we do not eat together but all other meals are at the dining table.We rarely all eat breakfast together during the week but weekends that meal is still in the DR

  • 3 years ago

    I think your table and chairs fit well in this space. The one thing I would change is the bench seat. I would get an (upholstered?) bench without arms, and it would be even better if it was one that was built-in. Add some color, plants and art to give the space some life.

  • 3 years ago

    We had a weird space off our kitchen in a previous house, in addition to a dining room that was right by the kitchen. We made the space more of a lounge, painted the room a darker color (it got good natural light through french door, too, like yours), put in a couple of big comfy chair-and-a-halfs, rug, coffee table. When we had people over, they could sit there and interact with us in the kitchen but be out of the way. That was our first experience using a designer person to help us with colors and room arrangement and - WOW. What a big difference it made.

  • 3 years ago

    I would get a round pedestal table and more comfortable chairs (padded!). Round tables are more friendly, and a pedestal means no leg interference. Then add artwork (family photos?) and plants.

  • 3 years ago

    @crcollins1_gw , that sounds lovely! Do you have any photos of the space? I like the idea of creating a space like that.

  • 3 years ago

    Maureen, thanks for these images. I’m getting some great ideas!

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Keep the table, but look for an upholstered dining height sofa and two comfortable low back chairs. Add a great art work and drop a pendant over the table.


    A twist to a traditional dining area · More Info



    Carter · More Info

    I like Maureen's suggestions for an inviting space. Here's an upholstered dining sofa bench from Macy's $279 with dark legs that would echo your table.

    Add an oversized food related art work or poster for over the table.

  • 3 years ago

    Sorry, I don't have any pictures - that was about 4 houses ago! :) You've got some great ideas here though that give you the same general idea. Comfortable chairs would be the key for me for a place you want to linger.

  • 3 years ago

    Are Houzz merchandisers allowed to advertise in discussion comments? @Poovi Art

  • 3 years ago

    A rug, comfortable seating, and art are what I would do if you eat in the dining room.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    I think your furniture fits well with your space but it does seem a bit empty. A light over the dining table and some artwork/pictures would really tie the room together and provide more of a homey vibe.

  • 3 years ago

    Thanks for all the ideas… would love some ideas of style for a dining light.

  • 2 years ago

    It’s been quite a while since I posted this question. Here’s what I’ve done and I’m undecided on if I like it. I would love honest thoughts and/or more suggestions.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    I like the updates you made to the space.

    What makes you not love the space?

    Consider bench/seat cushions in a darker blue from the art.

    A light fixture would enhance the space.

    Add a flowering plant or decorative bowl to the table.




  • 2 years ago

    Without seeing the lighting you have in the space already, here are a few suggestions:






  • 2 years ago

    It’s good, but would be better with a bit more color and lighting. Move the prints down a bit, they are too high. Everything is brown and grey and beige, a rug with greens or a table runner or simple centerpiece would help. I would do a small drinks table instead of the plants on the floor.

  • 2 years ago

    Thanks for the feedback. I wonder if the prints are too big? Also the style… I typically lean towards coastal. Also wondering If I should return settee for a navy settee? For some reason, I’m really struggling with this space. Although, I do love the rug! Thanks again for the help

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    I like the settee in the lighter color & like the rug too. Maybe change the pillows to darker color. I also like the 2 prints on wall but maybe lower a smidge. They’re not too big. The bare look & feel might come from lack of hanging light & nothing on table top. Does this area need a light? Try a textured runner on table that complements rug - or a low long wooden bowl filled with objects pulling colors from rug. I like the plants in the corner too. Does anyone sit at this table to work puzzles or play board games? Kids doing homework?

  • 2 years ago

    Yes, I definitely need a light over the table. I will move the pictures down a bit and get darker pillows. Thanks for the suggestions. I sit at the table often because it gets great sunlight. It is usually used for a quick bite or keeping whoever’s cooking company. Sometimes game night. We cook and entertain a lot. Teenage kids and friends, the kitchen is the hub

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    When you move the pictures lower, also try moving them closer together (not touching) to see if you like that better. I usually experiment using blue painter tape or picture-sized cardboard before making sheetrock holes.

    Consider pulling the settee a bit away from the wall if your back/head touches the prints when seated on the settee.

  • 2 years ago

    I ordered sofa legs 2 inches taller as the settee sits a bit too low. Should I wait to move the pictures down?

  • 2 years ago

    I would wait and move them once.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Oh it's looking great - a hanging light fixture will make a huge difference I think

  • 2 years ago

    Thanks! I’m very open to light fixture ideas…

  • 2 years ago

    I like / agree with all of Design Fan’s suggestions!

  • 2 years ago

    There are some light fixtures posted in the various response photos. Let us know if you like or dislike any of the suggestions or post a photo of something you like. It will help get you more suggestions along the lines of what you like.

  • 2 years ago

    Here is my dining room light (which glares a bit too much) and the other side of the kitchen. The dining room is to the left. I love the last light you posted with blue.