Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Menu mavens...tea and ??

Annie Deighnaugh
7 months ago

I have a friend coming over in the afternoon who wants to see our landscape project. I knew her through work. All I know is she can't eat nuts.

I'm assuming we'll sit outside and chat awhile. It'll be just the 2 of us. I'll offer coffee or tea, and I'd like to offer a nosh or two. Nothing fancy with clotted cream or cucumber sandwiches or anything...but finger food like cookies or something like cubed melon we could stab with a small fork. And I'm happy to buy rather than make. I don't want her to think I've gone to a lot of trouble, and frankly I don't want to go to a lot of trouble.

Maybe some pumpkin bread?

What would you suggest?

Comments (46)

• Kswl
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

Scones! They are as easy to make as a quick bread. They can usually be made with what you have on hand.

Too late for today but King Arthur has excellent boxed mixes for scones that can be a lifesaver in a pinch. I keep a few in my pantry, along with extra butter in the freezer, and KA buttermilk powder (for instant buttermilk when mixed with water). Regular milk or half and half works too!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Kswl
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    7 months ago

Pound cake, whilped cream and berries are my go-to for tea or coffee. I like the Field Day Pound Cake redioe (not a true oound cake.) And i am fine buying a cake too.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • dedtired
    7 months ago

Sympathy? ( sorry, couldnt resist).I love scones..

Annie Deighnaugh thanked dedtired
  • Funkyart
    7 months ago

LOL scones and pound cake sound lovely but in the afternoon, I'd be happy with a couple of biscuits ... biscoff are a fav. Maybe not fancy enough but i loooooove them with coffee when I am not watching my calories. I'd also love pumpkin or banana bread.

And lucky you to have weather that allows you to sit and visit outside. It is cold, wet and rainy here.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Funkyart
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    7 months ago

Yeah, Annie, my son is at our house and he says its raining cats and dogs all day.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • palimpsest
    7 months ago

I might want something a little savory or salty instead of all sweet.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked palimpsest
  • eld6161
    7 months ago

I would do an apple, pumpkin or banana loaf.

I wouldn't do fruit with tea.

Annie, won’t it be raining?

Annie Deighnaugh thanked eld6161
  • porkandham
    7 months ago

I love shortbread cookies! I’d probably keep things easy and buy macarons or something similar.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Oh sorry. I had my original post and it disappeared on me so I had to retype it. Somewhere along the line, I left out that she will be coming on Monday when the weather is supposed to be sunny and in the 70s.

I did check in the pantry and find a box of TJ's pumpkin bread mix. So that's a possibility.

I will be having another afternoon visitor on Wed too, so whatever I do, I'd want to have it for both.

The added advantage with pumpkin bread is I can freeze the leftovers and we'll eat it at breakfast with our eggs...if I buy cookies, for some reason, they disappear almost immediately...must be the ghost in the house!!

Eileen, those cookies sound yummy!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Funkyart, your suggestion made me think of chocolate dipped biscotti...but it can't have nuts.

• czarinalex
    7 months ago

I think pumpkin bread is a great choice.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked czarinalex
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    7 months ago

My kids call Biscoff "airline cookies" because Delta always had them in their lounges.

• porkandham
    7 months ago

Mtn - They're called Delta cookies in our house!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked porkandham
  • Olychick
    7 months ago

I love TJ’s pumpkin bread mix. I would also offer sime fruit, even a sliced apple in case she’s counting calories or not eating processed carbs, or hates pumpkin, lol .

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Olychick
  • salonva
    7 months ago

I learn so much on these threads. I never heard of biscoff and assumed it was an autocorrect creation. Live and learn. They look vaguely familiar. I'm intrigued because they are also vegan and certified kosher parve .

I may have to look for them and try them out but at least it's a good option. Thanks.

Now back to Annie's question. I think cut up fruit is always a good thing and if the guest doesn't eat it, you can do that with minimal guilt.

I have a problem with cookies and cakes in that they don't stay uneaten and available in my house ---somehow.

Fwiw, I know it's not popular but I really don't care for pumpkin anything. I didn't get that gene.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    7 months ago

I see Biscoff and think airlines too!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    7 months ago

This article explains Biscoff and its relationship to the very popular Speculoos spread at TJ. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speculoos

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/how-biscoff-cookies-became-iconic-airplane-snack

• njmomma
    7 months ago

I would make brownies, I tend to love chocolate with coffee. I would then add a strawberry, because I love how sweet it looks on the plate.

I am one of those people who keeps doilies on hand, to add to the bottom of the plate. 🤷‍♀️

Annie Deighnaugh thanked njmomma
  • njmomma
    7 months ago

And it takes absolutely so little time to do

• Funkyart
    7 months ago

I loooove biscoff but hate speculoos (didnt read the article yet)

Sorry, I thought the visit was today .. .would much prefer homemade cookies, scones, breads if time allows.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Funkyart
  • Annie Deighnaugh thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • njmomma
    7 months ago

Love those ❤️
    But I am also frugal, I get my doilies at Dollar Tree, $1.25 for I don’t know how many, thinking 10.

Grew up on very little and I just can’t break the habit 🤪

• njmomma
    7 months ago

Ooops! Multi pack Assorted sizes of doilies, 32 in a pack, $1.25

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    7 months ago

The article mentions the windmill cookies which are nothing like the biscoff. I never liked the windmill cookies as a kid.

• Bunny
    7 months ago

If I were your friend, I'd be delighted with anything you served, especially if it was kinda delicious and didn't look like you put too much work into it. I wouldn't care if it was homemade or store-bought. I happen to like pumpkin, but some are already screaming at it.

p.s. Biscotti are meh in my book.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Bunny
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    7 months ago

Mnt! Those are fabulous! Thank you!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • localeater
    7 months ago

People have been dropping in a lot lately, and I’ve gotten into a routine. Pretty platter: frsh grapes, cubed cheese, ramekin of nuts, dried apricots, savory crackers, dark chocolate. I figure there’s something for everyone, and the variety of colors, shapes shapes, and textures makee me happy

Annie Deighnaugh thanked localeater
  • Feathers11
    7 months ago

I like Localeater's options, and you can certainly scale down, for more options. I wouldn't eat most of the suggestions in this thread, but would like a few nuts and grapes. (eta I just re-read that your friend cannot eat nuts.)

I learn so much on these threads. Me, too! I had no idea buttermilk powder existed.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Feathers11
  • Lars
    7 months ago

I like to serve cookies with tea. Here's my recipe for Danish butter cookies:

• 1-1/4 cups unsalted butter, softened
    • 1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
    • 3 egg yolks, beaten
    • 2-1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
    • 1-1/2 teaspoons Amaretto

Cream butter and sugar. Beat egg yolks in, one at a time. Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Chill dough. Roll dough into small balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Press dough with any press or glass dipped in sugar.

Bake at 325 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes. Remove immediately from cookie sheet and cool.

Yield: about 30 cookies

Variations: You can substitute other flavorings for the Amaretto, such as a bit of grated lemon rind or vanilla or coconut.

If I served coffee, I might serve chocolate crinkle cookies:

• 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate (72% cacao), chopped
    • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
    • 1 cup all-purpose flour
    • 1/2 cup unsweetened cacao powder (I use Better Body Foods brand)
    • 1 teaspoon baking powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1-1/8 cups packed brown sugar (I use coconut sugar)
    • 3 large eggs
    • 3 teaspoons instant espresso powder (optional)
    • 1 teaspoon Kahlua (coffee liqueur)
    • 2 Tbsp granulated sugar 2 Tbsp confectioners' sugar

Combine chocolate and butter in medium bowl and place over small, deep sauce pan with 2” water. Place on simmer, and stir occasionally.

Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, and baking soda together in small bowl. Whisk brown sugar, eggs, espresso powder, and Kahlua together in large bowl.

Whisk chocolate mixture into egg mixture until combined. Fold in flour mixture until no dry streaks remain. Let dough sit at room temperature for 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees while waiting. Line 2 baking sheets with Silpat or parchment paper. (I only line one at a time, as I only have one Silpat sheet.)

Place granulated sugar and confectioners’ sugar in separate shallow dishes. Working with 2 tablespoons dough at a time, roll into balls, or use a #30 cookie scoop. Drop dough balls directly into granulated sugar and roll to coat. Transfer dough balls to confectioners’ sugar and roll to coat evenly. Evenly space dough balls on prepared sheets, 9 per sheet. (Yield: 18 cookies)

Bake cookies 6 minutes, rotate sheet, and bake 6 minutes more, 1 sheet at a time.

Let cool on sheet before serving.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Lars
  • lisaam
    7 months ago

Easy is fine: Pepperidge Farm Gingerman cookies (I hope they still taste good, its it’s been a long time since I’ve bought them)

for homemade with a touch of salty these are better than any other spiced nut that I’ve made https://davidlebovitz.substack.com/p/spiced-candied-pecans

Definitely make them this holiday season! My experience is that David Lebovitz doesn’t fool around; if he gives a recipe it is very good.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked lisaam
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Thanks Lars...they look good.

lisaam, sorry, but she can't do nuts...

• Olychick
    7 months ago

I don’t think I’ve ever flown Delta. When I see Biscoff I think of teething biscuits.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    7 months ago

DH tells me we have more apples. We never spray or anything and the tree rarely bears fruit, but this year it did. The apples look awful and have a lot of bad spots to cut around, but the good parts are tasty. I have a simple applesauce cake that's yummy (that touch of nutmeg makes it) and I can stir in some chopped up apples....uses the apples up and makes a nice snack with tea....

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Since I have the apples, I came across a recipe that adds the apple chunks to a pumpkin cake. Not sure I'd like that. Anyone ever tried it? There's another where they make a topping for the pumpkin bread/cake with chopped apples and crumbs.

• Tina Marie
    7 months ago

For some reason I'm not picturing (tasting?) apple and pumpkin together? But I did see apple dumplings today and and also scones. But applesauce cake sounds good too. I love apple cake with a caramel glaze.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Tina Marie
  • Olychick
    7 months ago

I like the idea of apple and pumpkin together; kind of like an apple spice cake. I love cooked pieces of apple in quick breads.

• Bunny
    7 months ago

I think apples and pumpkins are made to go together. Apples keep baked goods moist.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Bunny
  • eld6161
    7 months ago

Do an apple loaf. I wouldn't start experimenting for this visit.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked eld6161
  • Eileen
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

Bbstx posted this cake recipe in Funky's Foodie thread. I love apple cider donuts so I'm planning on making it as soon as cider hits the store, which should be Annie Deighnaugh. ;-)

https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/apple-cider-donut-cake.html?adt_ei=babolton99@yahoo.com&utm_source=convertkit&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Apple+Cider+Donut+Cake%2C+Turkey+Meatloaf%2C+Baked+Potatoes+%2B+More%20-%2011790170

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Well the applesauce cake is in the oven with chunks of cut up apples from our tree.

Wanna make a bet she won't want anything to eat or drink??

• njmomma
    6 months ago

Once upon a chef also has a recipe for Coconut Macaroons that is delicious. I have made them for many occasions and as gifts for holidays.

• Eileen
    6 months ago

I edited my comment to specify that it's a cake recipe, not a donut recipe. I don't make donuts!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Eileen
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Hahaha! It was even worse than I thought. She didn't show. Forgot to put it on her calendar. So there's that. Thank goodness I texted her in the am so I wasn't sitting around waiting. She's coming tomorrow a.m. at 10. We'll see if she wants coffee and or not.

• Eileen
    6 months ago

The cake should be even better tomorrow, and it's a good choice for a mid-morning snack.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Eileen
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    6 months ago