Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_mazzola

Bosch Panel Ready Dishwasher Not Sitting Flush

Ray
7 months ago
last modified: 7 months ago

I just got the SHVM63W53N Bosch 300 series dishwasher. When the contractor installed it, it sticks out about 5/8 of an inch compared to the other cabinets. Contractor says it might just be the model of the dishwasher but all of the pictures I'm looking at show it sitting completely flush with the other cabinets. Any advice?

Comments (21)

• wdccruise
    7 months ago

Referring to the installation instructions, you would need to:

1. Remove the standard toe panel or plastic toe panel described in section 4.11 or 4.12, respectively.
    2. Remove the screws that secure the dishwasher to the opening as described in section 4.10.
    3. Carefully push the dishwasher further into the opening as described in section 4.7, making sure that you do not kink the hoses and power cord and do not push the dishwasher in too far.
    4. Recheck the level of the dishwasher as described in section 4.8.
    5. Re-secure the dishwasher in the opening as described in section 4.10.
    6. Re-attach the toe panel as described in section 4.11 or 4.12.
    Ray thanked wdccruise
  • HU-227031627
    7 months ago

The installation crew from Home Depot who installed my dishwasher left it jutting out compared to the other cabinets (it is not paneled). I may not have this completely correct since it was a few years ago, but what they told me was that the location of the electrical outlet behind the dishwasher was interfering with installing the dishwasher and that I would have to hire an electrician to move it and they would have to come back afterward to finish the install. Since it wasn't jutting out much and because it sounded like a lot of crap to go through and I intended to remodel my kitchen anyway, I just let it go.

Don't know if that is your issue or not.

• daisiesandbutterflies
    7 months ago

In this photo, it appears that the door is not shut all the way, it is open at an angle,comparing the top to the bottom. I think that if you were to close it all the way (as when you turn on the dishwasher), it will be flush.

Ray thanked daisiesandbutterflies
  • Ray
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Thanks for your advice but the door is shut all of the way

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 months ago

Place a level on the front please and check for plumb. Reinstall it in farther and plumb.

Ray thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    7 months ago

There is likely a supply hose or wire in the way preventing it from being pushed back all the way. I would pull it out to see if anything is kinked or in the wrong place. Sometimes the hole through the cabinet for the cord and water line has to be relocated.

Ray thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • PRO
    DeWayne
    7 months ago

Your electrical outlet is under the sink, not in back of the DW, right?

Ray thanked DeWayne
  • dadoes
    7 months ago

I believe the door appears off-plumb due to shadows in the photos but it probably is not. The machine just needs to be set a bit deeper into the cavity.

Ray thanked dadoes
  • Ray
    Original Author
    7 months ago

The contractor stars that it can’t be pushed back any further because of the brackets that need to hold it in place. I think he’s referencing the black seal that’s around the drum. The plug is behind the dishwasher.

• PRO
    DeWayne
    7 months ago

There's your problem. The plug behind the DW, and the contractor. The plug should be in the sink base. And the brackets absolutely DO allow it to be pushed back more.

Ray thanked DeWayne
  • PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    7 months ago

I’m with dewayne, the problem is your contractor. Plug is in the wrong spot, preventing it from pushing back the whole way.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 months ago

the plug should be under the sink. lets see a pic of your sink base.

Did he adjust your drainage from the dishwasher properly? air gap? (check local state/city codes)

Ray thanked Beth H. :
  • wdccruise
    7 months ago

"The contractor stars that it can’t be pushed back any further because of the brackets that need to hold it in place. I think he’s referencing the black seal that’s around the drum."

No, the brackets attach the dishwasher to the cabinet sides or countertop after the dishwasher is set in place. See section 4.10 of the instructions linked above. Section 4.3 of those instructions shows that a hole is to be cut into the adjacent cabinet for the power cord, water, and drain lines. There is no space behind the dishwasher for the electrical outlet and plug as the dishwasher is 23-9/16" deep.

Ray thanked wdccruise
  • Ray
    Original Author
    7 months ago

These are the brackets in question. If they are pushed back further, how does it seal?

• Ray
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Sorry, I'm learning as I go since I'm not the contractor. Where would the bracket go if it's not on the cabinet lip? Can it go inside the actual cabinet?

• dadoes
    7 months ago

Anchor brackets typically go on top & secure the unit to the countertop. Some can be anchored to the sides but usually by a different method than brackets.

Ray thanked dadoes
  • Ray
    Original Author
    7 months ago

The side mount brackets need to be used per the installation guide because we have quartz above it on the top, not a drillable material.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    7 months ago

The side mount brackets are correct but they are installed too far forward. Remove the screws and see if it will push back. Outlet location is still wrong but will work.

• Ray
    Original Author
    7 months ago

There's only about a half inch of a lip to screw the brackets into. I'm not sure there is room to move it back using that same lip. Any suggestions on where to place the brackets instead?

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    7 months ago

They screw into the side of the cabinet- they don’t have to attach to the face frame

• Ray
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Thank you so much! Hopefully I'll be back with a good update soon.