Software
Houzz Logo Print
afantasia

Need help with stone fireplace wall and ceiling

13 years ago
I just bought this house and the family room has a focal point with this wall. I'd like to put the TV above the fireplace but my husband thinks it will ruin the TV. Otherwise the TV will go on a short wall to the left (then not centrally located and the symmetries are all off.) Also, how would you do the ceiling? What color to paint between the rafters.

Comments (13)

  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I'd paint the rafters the same color as the ceiling, in white. I'd find a brick cleaner and clean the soot off the brick. Do you have doors for the laundry rooms? If not, hang curtains or something to cover them. Not sure if the fireplace will ruin the tv. I guess it could...
  • 13 years ago
    Oh my, I believe you actually have TWO focal points: the washer and dryer rooms. How, exactly, does that work? I imagine you scurrying from one to the other with armloads of soppy clothes. I think this should be addressed before considering TV placement or ceiling color. Can the appliances be relocated?

    Also, if you plan to use that fireplace, please have it inspected first. There is a lot of soot on the brick which indicates it's not drawing properly. Another reason not to put the TV there.
  • 13 years ago
    Aside from the safety checks...how would you decorate?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Are you planning on putting an insert into the fireplace to maximize heat retention? Even with a substantial mantle in place putting the TV over the fireplace could damage the TV. Please check with your local electronics store and fireplace store before installing a TV there. LED's for instance are very sensitive and when they first came out there were warnings about installing them over fireplaces. I had a client spend quite a bit of money to ensure his TV was protected.

    I know you want to get going with the decorating but I've just noticed something else that needs addressing first. Is it just the picture or do you have issues with your pot lights as well? The ceiling seems to be discoloured around every lamp. Is that just bad repair jobs or is there something else going on?

    Cheers
    Mary
  • 13 years ago
    Paint, paint and paint...everything in a warm light cream. it would lighten it all up. Looks like you might have panelling...paint that a slightly darker cream. Purchase a stackable washer/dryer...very efficient. And, put doors on the two spaces, or make one a bookshelf, also painted. BTW, you can clean the fireplace yourself by picking up the corrosive cleaner for brick at a hardware store. Not a difficult process. Good luck!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    We haven't gotten that far in the inspection process as we just moved in yesterday but I believe thats from those two vents on the wall that emit the heat from the fireplace. @weston802 Would you paint the rafters darker than the ceiling and the wall even darker?
  • 13 years ago
    To piggyback on weston802, the stackable washer/dryer on the left with a bookshelf that swings out. on the right I would do the same type of swing-out bookshelf with storage (maybe wood for fireplace, etc). This will help with symmetry. I would not recommend tv over fireplace (maybe a mirror). Is there another wall to put TV and maybe arrange seating to place both tv and fireplace as focal points.
  • 13 years ago
    ps. I agree with painting the rafters white.
  • 13 years ago
    There's an entryway to the left into the kitchen and a sliding glass door to the right into the backyard. So the only place to put the TV is to the left of the entryway into the kitchen making it difficult to focus on both the tv and fireplace.
  • 13 years ago
    I love the swivel bookshelf idea. That's a definite.
  • 13 years ago
    Well just be sure that a large mantel will reduce the heat getting to the tv. Also, the two vents may still cause the tv to develop problems later on. maybe you can inquire about this at inspection.
  • 13 years ago
    I was thinking about closing off the vents since we were going to get the insert for the fireplace.