Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goldenbird411

Bedroom decor help

goldenbird411
5 months ago
last modified: 5 months ago

I bought a new king size bed for our room and was thinking about what I could put above the bed... also maybe I should get new lamps? ( I wasnt sure if my side tables would be ok with this headboard) .Maybe a throw for the bed... White or purple?? I did find a few prints that I was considering for over the headboard.. what do you think? Or should I go with something different? Any ideas? suggestions? What would look nice? The thing on the left holds my husbands ipad so that has to stay.. he likes to read at night... should I 86 the small lamps? even though they are so great when reading at night... maybe change them to something else?

Comments (164)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 months ago

Get two!!!!! pair of these! ( ivory )

Get this rod and honestly? Take no chances as both are open box and one left!!

Order 66 - 120 and 48 - 84 in gold

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 months ago

The rod above!

I dug up on wayfair!

With a click! it goes right to Amazon!

Yes spend the money, god forbid a part missing- return what you dont need

• goldenbird411
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Im ordering 2 rods? Im sorry Im a little confused now... why do I need 2 rods? I ordered the ivory panels ... thats done... Can I not just buy ONE rod? Sorry... Theres no 66 - 120 there.... and I see no gold in 48 - 84.. there is only black and bronze.. Im not seeing what you are... Are we not doing what you posted on the picture you sketched? that looks like one rod...??? You know at this point... maybe I just go with something simple.. sheers on the outside of the mouldings..... And this is WAY to much work for you! Its hard to do this online like this.. for the sheers anyways.. I did order the ivory panels.. If I can just get ONE rod.. and go with that.. and then I will let you have a life - lol.. I feel bad here... I will try and figure it out...

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 months ago

This is the rod link

https://www.wayfair.ca/decor-pillows/pdp/symple-stuff-cannava-adjustable-075-single-curtain-rod-c007190488.html?piid=144703327%2C144703322

The reason I said get two??

Is because it says there is one - "Open box "

and the same with the other size " one and open box

God forbid something missing!

• Cara Fidler
    5 months ago

I would change the headboard to a purple or plum shade rather than the white one for some contrast. I would get a purple throw for the bed. Have you considered a Canopy for the bed in purple? You could get a chaise where your husband could sit with the Ipod. Maybe add some big exotic plants or a big artificial tree like a ficus with some miniature lights strung on it.

goldenbird411 thanked Cara Fidler
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 months ago

Cara,

You may have skipped over a lot of posts

The bed stays. As does the bedding and the rest.

This will get art above the bed and further embellishment, but as you see remains. .....

The op is very happy , with where the room is now: )

• goldenbird411
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Jan the problem with wayfair.. (IN Canada) is they do not do returns.. so ideally Amazon would be best... amazon.ca... I will try and find something there! Sorry I was not able to get back to you but we had a HUGE wind storm last night and just now got back power/internet...

• goldenbird411
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Carla.. yeah.. I just bought that headboard/bed... I have a purple throw coming today :)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 months ago

Please just buy the Wayfair rod?

In the course of a bedroom redo, all in , one expense vs total that couldn't go back? You can't wring a hand over it can't go back. Better you take your chances in gold 66 -120!

More than likely it need not go back - it is 79.99 in a perfect size, so just order it. Right?! Right,

• goldenbird411
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Well... because you asked so nicely - lol.. Anyways I ordered the rod.. I wont get it till Nov 19 - 22.... And the sheers I get today... I think? and the throw blanket is running late.. so hopefully I get it, cause I really like it...

• goldenbird411
    Original Author
    5 months ago

So Jan.. I recieved my sheers and they were sheer WHITE.. I held them up in the room and to me it looks like a hospital.. so I decided to send them back... (I am going to be honest here.. Im sorry.. really sorry... but I perfer the grommet style..to me they look more classy... soo.. I am going to try and find a color that isnt stark white and get the grommet style..) .OR a back tab style... I guess I have different taste... Thank you for helping me .. You have gone above and beyond here for and I cant ask for more from you! And this is really hard to tell you. because I didnt like the sheers.. I cancelled the rod order and will pick something up else where.. I think I am going to go with a dark brown rod as I think it looks nice with my side tables.. I hope you will forgive me :( . I know you hate grommet but I like them .. I bought some for my livingroom a few years ago and I love them! I got my throw... I like it but it could of been a bit more chunky.. so I am going to buy myself some bernat blanket yarn and crochet another one.. it a nice purple... This is the throw I received ...

This is what I was considering.. I hope the color will go... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B086X5QBYM/?coliid=I16MA7JY5TRIKE&colid=1LBOZPBEDEP2B&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

Again.. IM SO SORRY :( .

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 months ago

You were getting ivory and they ended up white? Or you clicked white?

Can't speak to grommets. Hate them. : )

Particularly on sheers.

No worries, it's your room, can't offend me lol

goldenbird411 thanked JAN MOYER
  • goldenbird411
    Original Author
    5 months ago

No they said ivory when I ordered them... Do you like back tab style?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 months ago

I like neither. If you want to buy matching rings? Look for something in curtains with pleats.

The best scenario? You aren't moving......have them made: )!! for you. Look local in your area, ask friends,

You'll have them forever......You select the fabric. You must have a fabric store in Canada.

Real panels look like this: )

Try Etsy Canada, or local

• goldenbird411
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Yes.. I might very well go that direction yet.. thank you Jan!

• goldenbird411
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Those are pretty Jan.. I like those alot!... not sure where you found those? I like the color of those too!! I was looking at these.. color wise.. do either of them work ? the first ones are 100" wide

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B086X5QBYM/?coliid=I16MA7JY5TRIKE&colid=1LBOZPBEDEP2B&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it_im&th=1

its hard to tell the color on these... I would probably have to get 2?

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0BVR549GY/?coliid=I2SV0I60DBKT9C&colid=1LBOZPBEDEP2B&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

• goldenbird411
    Original Author
    5 months ago
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 months ago

The inspo pic ? Thats what cutom can look like.

Amazon wont:)

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 months ago

If you don't want custom, try Vermont Country Store. They have sheer pinch pleat curtains in varying widths and they come in ivory. Reasonably priced and they look very nice. I have them in my vacation home.

https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/classic-sheers-96-inch-pinch-pleat-patio-panel/product/80316

goldenbird411 thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 months ago

72 w 84 l eggshell or linen

https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/insulated-lined-72-inch-pinch-pleat-curtains/product/81061

or........... double up two!!!! at least

in natural

https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/insulated-lined-72-inch-pinch-pleat-curtains/product/81061

Or.....mineral and double to two pairs

Sage, and double the pair

https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/insulated-lined-96-inch-pinch-pleat-curtains/product/81062

Their panel width is for a PAIR

None will be good without fullness _ double up

Still cheaper than custom. Fact is? Not everything can or should be cheap.

• goldenbird411
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thank you Jan.. I will consider those... The width on those are really nice for sure!!!I am actually thinking I might wait till after Christmas and get myself some custom drapes... Thank you from the bottom of my heart for all your hard work and help!

• goldenbird411
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Well I decided to go with these drapes for now... I know alot of you do not like grommets but I do actually.. I think they hang nice.. I guess its a personal thing.. Anyways I really like them.. Jan... I am STILL waiting for the art work.. I finally phoned BB & B and asked them why it was taking so long.. delayed delayed.. I told her I have had things come faster from China.. anyways will post a photo of that too if I ever get it... I know you dont like grommets so do you think the color at least works? Anyways I am really happy with them.. I just have to have them hemmed 1/2 from the floor.. the photo itself doesnt look as good as they do in person... but again.. I am happy with them and I think it looks alot better with them...
    Actually I am considering buying one more panel... so I would have wall to wall drapes... Or do you think its fine size wise how it is...

• drucila
    5 months ago

Bump

goldenbird411 thanked drucila
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 months ago

They look fine to me! They should touch the carpet. ..........no "floods"

• goldenbird411
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Thank you Jan.. ONE MORE QUESTION.. I do have that art work ordered as mentioned above but they told me I can return it if I want at this point.. but I did find another pce of art I really liked but the problem is it is more square.. I need a longer pce of art .. on this guys site he says he can work with me on my art work size.. custom the size for me.. Anyways this is the art work.. do you think it would work for my space if I had it made 40 - 43" long x 23 h... I have 36" from the top of my headboard to the ceiling... and if you think it would work would you frame it or leave it as as... THANK YOU Again Jan!!! I know I didnt totally go with what you said but you helped me sooo much! Sorry for the screen shot but thats the only way I know how to show you ... I dont have a program to add things to the room.. wish I did!!! Obviously the art is too big the way I did it there.. but if I can get it longer and shorter.. do you think the colors would work ok? Oh.. one more thing.. should I just leave the curtains as is.. the way I have them on the floor.. dont hem them?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 months ago

Leave the curtains touching or even with a little break at the floor. You have blinds, no need to keep yanking them closed. A half inch off the floor is for old ladies.

As to the art" 23 x 42 or 43 is fine

Hang it with 4" open wall at the BOTTOM of frame to top of headboard, and you will have nine inches above the art in exposed wall to the ceiling line.

The relationship is between the bed and the art, not the art and the ceiling.

• goldenbird411
    Original Author
    5 months ago

No the curtains I dont move .. they are just there for decorative look... I would like to replace the blind also with something like you mentioned.. find something just subtle... Not sure exactly... Jan.. do you like the color of the print I picked .. do you think it would work if I can get the sizing right please?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 months ago

I assumed we were talking about the art in the screenshot? YOU have to like it! Looks fine!I am not sleeping in the room

Go get a nice room darkening cell shade at home depot /big box store. They must have a version in Canada?

Or get a local window treatment dealer TO the house....You don't need the shade down 24/7! And blinds are just "fugly"

Not everything needs to be bought online: )

• goldenbird411
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Well I FINALLY received my artwork.. Im not really loving it.. I think I will go with mirrors on either side.... not sure where you buy those exactly.. and go with NO artwork in the middle... The room definitely looks ALOT better.. And yes glad we removed the fugly lamps on the wall !

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 months ago

Can't tell you what to do, but I think fine and dandy, actually.

You have to Google 24 x 42 or 24 x 48 framed mirrors if you're bound and determined. And stick to a gilded finish.

• goldenbird411
    Original Author
    5 months ago

What about 24 x 58"... too tall?

• goldenbird411
    Original Author
    5 months ago

One small problem... I have a light switch beside the bed...

• goldenbird411
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Would you choose something like one of these? Could I do a 20" wide? Because of the light switch?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 months ago

I saw the switch - don't hang them that low.

I think you had it right here - spend the money on a shade

• goldenbird411
    Original Author
    5 months ago

So Im sorry.. do you think the mirrors above work? The more decorated mirror is 21 x 47

• goldenbird411
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Jan.. I found one that is 36 x 24... if I hang it above the switch.. would that be enough height?

• njmomma
    5 months ago

Use painters tape to show size on the wall then purchase. No need to guess

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 months ago

How wide are the bedside tables?

• goldenbird411
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Bedside table...29" wide... I really like the decorated one the best... that one is 21" x 47"... Do you think that would look the best?

• goldenbird411
    Original Author
    5 months ago

And now I am done.. well.. I will probably add a new mirror to my dresser at a later date.. but I LOVE my NEW Room! THANK YOU ALL FOR ALL WHO HAVE HELPED ME ALONG THE WAY!

My headboard wall will be repainted... has some plaster on it now because of the lamps we removed.. Oh and I am going to get glass made up for my side tables..

• njmomma
    5 months ago

Perfect! I am glad you didn’t go with the art above the bed. It was too matchy matchy. The mirrors make the room really come together.

goldenbird411 thanked njmomma
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 months ago

21 x 47 is fine: )

• goldenbird411
    Original Author
    5 months ago

njmomma.. I found those mirrors at Home depo this morning.. I really like them! I had to mount them higher than I would of liked but I have a light switch on the side...(Originally I was going to have some shipped.. but I thought... shipping mirrors? hmmm maybe not a great idea - lol)

..I decided against anything at all above the headboard.. I love the way it turned out! And I couldnt have done it with out the help of the decorators on Houzz! I am very happy :)

• goldenbird411
    Original Author
    5 months ago

There is another little spot in our room that I would like to put a watercolor painting.. cause I really liked the one that I was considering above our headboard.. He sells them in all sizes and I wondered what you think... This is what I have there now... and I know it doesnt match or look any good..

But this was what I was thinking... of putting there... or will that not look good.. I also think the above picture is too big for the spot... so I know that too - lol . But what do you think.. or should I put nothing there?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 months ago

Find something more vertical. Or stack two that are square.

not hanging that high please? Help me lord........

• goldenbird411
    Original Author
    5 months ago

LOL... I know.. not that high.. Well I can get them made to the size I want... https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1516160247/tuscany-painting-lavender-art-print-from?ref=cart&variation0=3625920246

I was thinking of getting it framed with the white matt behind like is shown... the size between the mouldings is 42.5".... so I was THINKING.. maybe 18" x 24" . or is that too small.. Im just not completely sure what size to order for that space...

hmmm I tried to post of photo of what I meant but it wont let me.. anyways basically the 3rd photo down.. white mat... frame.. not sure if that color frame would be ok.. or maybe dark?

• goldenbird411
    Original Author
    5 months ago

What do you think if I paint my back .. headboard wall Benjamin moore Rocky road... Do you think that would play well with my headboard color? And not darken the room too much? I kind of like to stick to monochrome colors with a little color splashed in .. if that makes sense.. We have to paint the back wall anyways so I wondered what you thought.. Celery if your out there.. if you could pretty please put that color on my back wall so I can see it.. I would love you if you could! Thank you!!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 months ago

No. No. No!!! I beg.....It's the opposite feel of the room. Too heavy, too dark and no.

You paint the room the color of the other three walls please?

It's a bed. You have the lamps, the headboard. bedding, the mirrors. You have to know when to stop.

As to this?

You didn't like the one you had over the bed, This is almost identical and you can't make art just change size, change direction and always enjoy "success" , even when it is wall decor: )

Find something you can stack.....think vertical

These were Art.com

• goldenbird411
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Ok well thank you once again for your honest opinion.. I will just repaint the edgecomb then... I like that color... I just thought it might bring the headboard into the room.. Thank you again for your Honesty . :)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 months ago

This is good too.... in 24 x 30 or 30 x 40 Same site, Art.com