Software
Houzz Logo Print
karptonite

Make-up air kit installation issues

2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We recently remodeled our kitchen, and had the contractor install a Best range hood along with a make-up air kit. There have now been two problems with the make-up air kit, and before we go any further toward fixing this, I’d like to get more information, if possible. There is probably more detail here than necessary.

The contractor who did our kitchen remodel installs the appliances for the remodel themselves, but (admittedly) did not have much experience with make-up air kits, which most people apparently do not get. They worked along side an electrician for the install, but after it was installed and working, we noticed a fairly loud intermittent but frequent clicking noise (randomly spaced clicking noises every few seconds) from the motor that opened the make-up air damper.

I called the manufacturer who said that was not normal, and they sent a whole replacement kit (important). The contractor replaced the damper (but not the air pressure sensor or the transformer). What he replaced the damper, he said that the replacement damper made the same noise, but that when he rotated it somewhat so that the motor was near the top (instead of sticking out the side of the duct), it stopped making the clicking noise. We were just happy that it seemed to work now without clicking.

Fast forward a few weeks; the wall is now closed up, and we are getting ready to paint, and now the make-up air damper is not opening at all when the hood is on.

I’m no expert, but I checked out few obvious things; the transformer seems to be getting power (it is warm). I swapped out the external part of the pressure switch with the spare (from the first replacement)—no change. I’ve now noticed that both pressure switches seems to make a quiet, but similar, intermittent clicking noise when the hood is on—I’m not sure if that means anything.

I’ll be talking with my contractor about this on Monday, and I’d love to be able to say something beyond ”it just stopped working.” In particular, anything they can do to test for obvious issues before opening up the drywall would probably make everyone happy.

As far as i can tell, this may be the only make-up air kit made, and it seems that most manufacturers use the same parts in their own kits, so I’m hoping someone here has had an experience like this, and can offer some insight. This is such a simple system, in principle—not too much to go wrong, so I’m a bit perplexed.

Below is a photo of the install at the sensor/transformer end. I’d include a photo of the damper, but it is already closed up in the wall.



Comments (3)

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Hi, Daniel,

    Based on your description, the first place I'd look is the sensing of air flow. I don't like sensing it in an elbow, but it may work okay. The probe in the duct for the pressure switch is directional; it needs to be installed with the arrow on the flange pointing in the direction of air flow. Have a look.

    Daniel thanked Charles Ross Homes
  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    @Charles Ross Homes, Good eye! It looks like, from the picture, that the probe is installed with the air flow arrow pointing in the wrong direction.

    Regarding it being in the elbow, I did notice that the sensor was not exactly where the directions called for, but as you can see, the duct is mostly elbow there. but maybe there is more of a straightaway closer to the hood.

    I should note that the probe and pressure sensor did work when it was first installed, even at very low fan speed, and also after the first damper was replaced—it hasn’t been moved since.

    I’m just speculating here, but if the incorrect placement and direction of the probe caused the sensor to close the electrical circuit intermittently (perhaps the source of the clicking?) I wonder if that could have somehow damaged the motor at the damper, causing it to fail completely?

    Regardless, I’ll get the probe placement issue fixed, and we’ll see if that helps.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Hi, Daniel,

    If the pressure switch was "chattering," it could have been turning the damper motor on/off with that same frequency. Not a good recipe for longevity of a motor. You should be able to test that assumption if you hook up a digital manometer to the port in lieu of the pressure switch-- before correcting it's orientation, that is. It could very well be the root cause of the motor failure. In any event, your contractor owns the problem and owes you a remedy.

    Daniel thanked Charles Ross Homes