Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_hogan285

truly special gifts. . .

Jennifer Hogan
4 months ago

It seems that with the commercialization of Christmas gifts have become less special. Buy the family new iPhones, get the latest gadget or toy.

When I was growing up my mom baked for weeks before Christmas, making all kinds of cookies and pies and candies, but her true specialties were her filled pastries. . . apricot crescents, nut roll, poppy seed role and prune rolls (prune was always made using a square fold).

For many years after my mom passed away the girls in the family gathered each weekend from Thanksgiving to Christmas and baked our traditional pastries. The last 2 years my siblings have aged and just can't do it any more, so I have spent my weekends baking and sharing the Apricot and Prune filled pastries. My sister who is closest to my age will make the nut and poppy seed roles and share at her annual Christmas party.

Last year Susie, the sister who is closest to my age did something that I thought was so incredible.

She is retired, I still work full time, am slowly renovating my house and both Susie and I have been spending most of our spare time helping my oldest sister, who's health is failing and couldn't decorate or shop or wrap gifts . . .

Susie knows that I love building a really nice puzzle 500 or 1000 piece puzzle every year around Christmas, but last year I had told her I didn't buy a puzzle because I knew I didn't have any time to build one.

On November 30th Susie brought me a box with 24 small, numbered gift boxes inside. An advent calendar gift box. Each day I opened a box and found about 20 puzzle pieces and a small token gift (a baggie with a few of my favorite candies in it, a lip balm, sample hand cream, perfume sample, a couple of wax tarts, a tiny face exfoliator that I love (link below), nail polish, small ornament that looked like my dog . . . ) The puzzle pieces weren't random, she had built the puzzle and taken 20 pieces that fit together and placed them in each box, so each night I could build another section of the puzzle. Even the little gifts that she put with the puzzle pieces were specially chosen for me. Scents that I love, candies I love, colors I love.

https://www.amazon.com/Scrubber-Exfoliator-Silicone-Cleansing-Blackhead/dp/B0BX97ST5M/ref=asc_df_B0BX97ST5M/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=652467185215&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5974127099935930329&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9006612&hvtargid=pla-2191300541021&psc=1&mcid=82a75f610564332a872b0114a0171da5

Comments (28)

• teeda
    4 months ago

What a beautiful, thoughtful gift. You clearly mean a lot to her.

Jennifer Hogan thanked teeda
  • Heather Brookes
    4 months ago

What a lovely idea. I have a puzzle sitting on my dining room table right now and I’m worried if I open it I’ll disappear until it’s done So clever to build it and then advent calendar it for next year.

Jennifer Hogan thanked Heather Brookes
  • Olychick
    4 months ago

Amazing sister you have and I'll bet she thinks the same thing about you!

Jennifer Hogan thanked Olychick
  • chloebud
    4 months ago

This is so special and sweet! Sounds like you won the sister lottery.

Jennifer Hogan thanked chloebud
  • Funkyart
    4 months ago

What a thoughtful gift!

Jennifer Hogan thanked Funkyart
  • Jilly
    4 months ago

What a sweet post, thank you for sharing. ❤️

Jennifer Hogan thanked Jilly
  • nicole___
    4 months ago

So thoughtful! A wonderful gift!

Jennifer Hogan thanked nicole___
  • njmomma
    4 months ago

So thoughtful, so meaningful, so amazingly gifted! You must be quite the sister and she is too!

Jennifer Hogan thanked njmomma
  • bpath
    4 months ago

That is a true gift. You and your siblings are blessed to have one another.

Jennifer Hogan thanked bpath
  • porkandham
    4 months ago

That’s an incredible gift!

Jennifer Hogan thanked porkandham
  • jmck_nc
    4 months ago

I love this idea! Fellow puzzler here and I would really enjoy this gift. thanks for sharing!

Jennifer Hogan thanked jmck_nc
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    4 months ago

That's amazing - what a labor of love! Sisters are the best 😊

Jennifer Hogan thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Bestyears
    4 months ago

How thoughtful!

Jennifer Hogan thanked Bestyears
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    4 months ago

I now love your sister. I love my own unconditionally, but do so knowing she just doesn't always 'get me'. That still took a lot of thought and effort - even from someone who must truly understand you.

I thought you were going to say something about recipes and possibly a recipe book. We had a neighbor who got together with her two sisters after Thanksgiving and baked themselves silly. The most beautiful assortment of intricate Christmas cookies. We could see into her kitchen from our rear exit and DH would laugh about how she would be at the kitchen sink four days straight.

One sister is now gone but before losing her they made a sisters recipe book that they shared with other family and friends. I have one - now if she'd only gifted me her patience and skill.

You're a lucky girl 😊

Jennifer Hogan thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • Fun2BHere
    4 months ago

The best kind of thoughtful gift from someone who knows you well, listens to your interests and who is a creative gift-giver. Your sister is the kind of gift giver I aspire to be.

Jennifer Hogan thanked Fun2BHere
  • OutsidePlaying
    4 months ago

That is one the most beautiful gifts ever. You truly have a wonderful bond with this sister and share some lovely memories. Thanks for sharing with us.

Jennifer Hogan thanked OutsidePlaying
  • DLM2000-GW
    4 months ago

You are truly blessed to have a sister who 'sees' you totally and from the sound of it all three of you have a wonderful bond. Your true gifts are your relationships.

Jennifer Hogan thanked DLM2000-GW
  • arcy_gw
    4 months ago

Here's the calendar I sent to mom. It seems she's ahead of the game but she said she's having soo much fun with it. No tiny gifts included in mine.

Jennifer Hogan thanked arcy_gw
  • Allison0704
    4 months ago

What a thoughtful gift!

Jennifer Hogan thanked Allison0704
  • party_music50
    4 months ago

Susie is a great sister and friend.

Jennifer Hogan thanked party_music50
  • maire_cate
    4 months ago

What a clever idea. Your sister is truly a gift!

Jennifer Hogan thanked maire_cate
  • jill302
    4 months ago

Wonderful gift from your sister, so thoughtful.

Jennifer Hogan thanked jill302
  • pudgeder
    4 months ago

So very special! What a blessing she is!

• nekotish
    4 months ago

No one knows you like a sister knows you. The puzzle advent calendar was such a thoughtful gift. It would be great for those who have an aging parent too!

Jennifer Hogan thanked nekotish
  • terezosa / terriks
    4 months ago

What a sweet sister you have!

Jennifer Hogan thanked terezosa / terriks
  • rubyclaire
    4 months ago

Such a sweet and thoughtful gift - very special indeed.

Jennifer Hogan thanked rubyclaire
  • Arapaho-Rd
    4 months ago

Touching, thoughtful and full of love for a sister. How special!

Jennifer Hogan thanked Arapaho-Rd
Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals