Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erasmus_gw

Could this be Jackmanii Superba?

erasmus_gw
3 months ago

I bought this plant as a bare root bagged Jackmanii at Walmart a few years ago. It doesn't look like Jackmanii and I have never seen Jackmanii Superba so don't know if this is it. What do you think?

It has not bloomed profusely but it is not in the best spot so I am just happy it's still alive.

Comments (11)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

Nope!! JS rarely ever produces more than 4 tepals and the anthers are the wrong color. Here is what Clematis on the Web says: Large deep blue-purple flowers with broader tepals than those of 'Jackmanii' and red shading along the midribs which fades with age. Greenish-cream anthers. The International Clematis Register and Checklist 2002 notes that a number of modern publications list this cultivar as raised by Jackmans of Woking, however the Registrar could find no evidence for this. She further notes that many plants sold as 'Jackmanii Superba' are, in fact, 'Gipsy Queen'.

erasmus_gw thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • erasmus_gw
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thank you. Some pics of JS show a fairly reddish color so I thought maybe it was it. Any idea what it could be? I like the color. Seems to be fairly tough. I am thinking about buying either J or JS or Gipsy Queen this spring.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 months ago

Your photo is a lot closer to Gipsy Queen than it is JS. But not sure if that is truly what you have. It can be very difficult to assess the true coloring of a LFH clematis flower just based on photos. They can be very misleading.

erasmus_gw thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • FrozeBudd_z3/4
    3 months ago

Possibly your clematis is 'Ernest Markham' ...

erasmus_gw thanked FrozeBudd_z3/4
  • erasmus_gw
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I wondered the same thing, FrozeBudd. The color in the photo is pretty true to life I think.

It's a big flower. No wilt so far. When I do search on google for images of JS some of the pics that come up have a similar color but those could well be misidentified plants. I think I've read some descriptions of JS saying there are more petals than J and larger blooms. But my plant certainly looks hot pink. It has not been a prolific bloomer so far.

• erasmus_gw
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Yes, JS does have more petals and is a bit more reddish but maybe not as hot pink as mine. I think I want to buy a Jackmanii Superba but I like Jackmanii also.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    3 months ago

I have two plants of 'Tie Dye', the variegated version of 'Jackmanii', but need to secure a few 'Superba', which is easier said than done considering it's often switched for either 'Jackmanii' or 'Etoile Violette.'

• erasmus_gw
    Original Author
    3 months ago

FrozeBudd, I bought a JS from Hummingbird Farm in ME in the US this morning. They also offer Jackmanii so I assume they know the difference. I am hoping for a very vigorous, prolific vine. I have Tie Dye too and it is pretty vigorous but not extremely so. Mine's in morning sun only though. I also bought a Silver Moon from Hummingbird. I have been happy with their plants.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    3 months ago

I had purchased about a dozen on near giveaway discount in September and promptely had repotted them. Though, several up and perished for me being too overly enthusiastic with soil enriching amendments, I gotta learn not to be as heavy handed with clematis!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!