Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_897845463

Frontroom/Dining room advice

Kiley Zalansky
3 months ago

This is my first post EVER, so please forgive me if I’m doing anything wrong. I’m not a confident decorator. I get overwhelmed and doubt my selections, so end up leaving things blank.

I have a front room that is sort of a living room connected to a dining room. It includes furniture I inherited, so I’m trying to work with it. You’ll see I have 4 swivels chairs and two black drums (not married to the drums). I’ve included some photos to show the layout of the room. I would love your advice on the furniture layout (e.g. is the side table in the right place), if u should have a rug under the chairs in the front room (round, square, rectangle, color), what kind of table/ottoman should be in the middle of the chairs (color, type), and recommendations for wall art (one giant piece of art, a photo collage, what about one of those art TVs?).

Any ideas on any of those items are super welcome. Thank you!

Comments (14)

• KW PNW Z8
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

Will you add a pic of the 4th wall we can’t see - pic taken from wall the console table is against so we can see what’s across the room. Love those swivel chairs. Do you plan to add a sofa? For right now with the furniture you have, I’d pull the chairs closer together to create a cozier conversation area. Place a drum table between each pair of 2 chairs. Maybe slide the console table down wall towards window to fill the space a bit & leave the blank space between seating area & dining area. Is there a reason dining chairs aren’t placed 1 at each end & 3 along each side? The art on dining wall seems too high.

• Kiley Zalansky
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Here are photos of the fourth wall. I couldn’t figure out how to edit the original post (still learning). 😊

• KW PNW Z8
    3 months ago

Thanks Kiley! Helps to see the entire space. So, yes to your question of rug for seating area but size & color depends on if you’re adding furniture. Sofa, lamps etc. Rug is last on list because size & color depends on color of seating. I would swap those console tables - the one by front door looks too small for space & is lost on that long wall. Place the larger one there & hang the art that’s in dining area over it. Hang that black frame mirror on dining wall - there it reflects the light & view out front window. The frame color is good with dining light & it will add interest to that space. Place the smaller console table on wall in swivel chair seating area. The plant that’s sitting on the larger table is too large - it needs to sit on the floor - maybe in the entry area next to the larger console. Not sure where to put the arched mirror - you don’t need another mirror in this room. Are you working on fixing that rug corner that’s sticking up? It’s a trip hazard. Maybe turn the rug around so it’s on back side & / or warm iron to flatten it.

• dreamindecor
    3 months ago

Following

• PRO
    lisedv
    3 months ago

My suggestions are to:

- Buy a square are rug large enough for all the chairs to sit on

- Replace the ceiling light with a nice black simple chandelier

- Place the chairs in the centre of the room with a round coffee table in the centre (under the light fixture if possible)

- Buy a large canvas for the long wall on the left of the window centered behind the grouping

- If you can complete the print you have by the window with another 1 to 3 (total 4 depending on exact space you have) it would have more impact.

- Coordinate with accent pillows

Note: The chairs I show below aren't yours but it gives the idea...

Another view

• ffpalms
    3 months ago

I like many of the ideas so far, such as pulling the chairs in closer, a square rug and a drum table. I’d consider choosing a rug that has that rich red/brown tone from your kitchen cabinets. I also love your idea of a Frame TV.

• Kiley Zalansky
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thank you very much for your thoughts and guidance! It is extremely helpful and confirms some thoughts I’ve had about the space (switching the console tables, mirror placement, drum table in center of chairs). Even direction on what to focus on first is helpful!

• Erica MZ
    3 months ago

Your curtain rods appear a bit short. When eye blinds are open they should not cover the windows. Room is looking good and like the suggestions on this post. Good luck!

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 months ago

Some décor option to go with coffee table, wall art, lamps.

• Kiley Zalansky
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Ooh! I like it! Thank you celerygirl!

• PRO
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 months ago

May be nice chandelier to finish the look?

• Kiley Zalansky
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Celerygirl, LOVE all these ideas. Where are you pulling the art from (what store)?