Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oursteelers

True Red roses…

oursteelers 8B PNW
3 months ago

I hope you all have lots to share because my only two I have pictures of may be cheating. Kristine, maybe all the red roses will cheer you up-sorry about the game last night.

Black Rose of Sangerhausen-this rose doesn’t have any purple or orange to it. I thought about putting it with the odd colored ones but that didn’t seem quite right either. Mine gets about three hours of morning sun, no crisping and has a slow growth rate. Still, I like it although I feel its name should be something in the vampire/Dracula camp

Rouge Royale-since I’m not a huge fan of red roses in my garden this is the truest red I havento share. Black Caviar leans in hard to the purple/black camp and I didn’t get any pics of Ascot last year

Comments (38)

• erasmus_gw
    3 months ago

I have a hard time capturing true red on my camera.

One of the truest reds I have is Linda Farrell, a seedling I named after my grandma.

It is so red, vigorous , healthy, with good rebloom.

Col. Richard Sims seedling of Tess of the d'Urbervilles fragrant, good rebloom and vigor

Alec's Red..so fragrant

Braveheart...a wonderful bloomer, mostly healthy, tough, BIG blooms, no frag

Fields of the Wood...I like the shape, can be a bit bluer

Lavaglut on Fortuniana

Red Intuition

Nur Mahal, cherry red

Courageous fragrant

Most of my reds seem to be not fragrant! It is just not a make or break deal for me. I like it when they're fragrant but lean more towards visual. I would like Chrysler Imperial for fragrance. I think it probably has an old fashioned fragrance that to me epitomizes red fragrant rose.

General Jacqueminot is fragrant and can be true red or bluer.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 months ago

Oh goodie, reds!

Ingrid Bergman the rose that started my addicition, it was a valentines gift. My husband had no idea what he was starting

Papa Meiland, I love you so but your powdery mildew is a drag!

Palantina Traviata, new this last year and already a blooming fool

Gypsy Soul

3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

Our Anniversary, sometimes red

Crimson Glory

Desmond Tutu non fragrant and not my favorite but I saved it from sure death so it stays

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    3 months ago

WS2K not always true red but close enough

Mr Lincoln

Don Juan

Miracle on the Hudson..5 inch single red Bee-lovin blossoms!

Not a rose but so cheerful and festive, I thought I would throw this in lol.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Erasmus, your Lavaglut steals the show!

Kristine, do you have one particular red that is your favorite of them all?

sultry i think your ws2k is lovely. I have a cl Pink Don Juan that I got from Chamblees before all the craziness started there. It’s pretty boring and I never see anything about it so the red one is the clear winner!

• elenazone6
    3 months ago

Technically I do not have red roses, but ordered Rouge Royale and Florentina for this season.

Those are my reddish roses.

Volcano

Cherry Parfait

Fragrant cloud has dosen of colors

Dick Clark

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Elena, your Cherry Parfait is so photogenic!

• erasmus_gw
    3 months ago

I'd like to have Black Caviar and Miracle on the Hudson. My rose friend grows MotH and it makes a great looking big plant with huge blooms. Palatina Traviata looks good..was it bred from Traviata? My Traviata is a good rose, nice sturdy , tall plant with good health.

Traviata

Red Cascade ..some people's plants of this are huge. Thinking it's Diane in AL and my friend, Dickie. It looks great on a black obelisk. Mine's toughing it out in an urn.

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    3 months ago

That Black Rose of Sangerhausen reminds me of 'Nigrette'.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    3 months ago

One and the same, Melissa!

• catspa_zone9sunset14
    3 months ago

'Kathrinerl', a rose that apparently never made it into commerce because of susceptibility to blackspot, but that's not a problem here and it gives me so much joy (thanks, Jeri, for steering me to it at that Celebration of Old Roses!). Single blooms often look as if constructed via origami, from the "foldedness" (is that a word?) of the petals. It blooms a lot (for me, a bit more than just the "scattered" later bloom mentioned on HMF). It's lineage is 'Gruss an Teplitz' x 'Bonica', which also endears it to me.

I lost this 'Orfeo' to some unknown die-back last year, but I would grow him again in a heartbeat:

• Markay MD-Zone 7A (8A on new map)
    3 months ago

Rosemantic Red.

• susan9santabarbara
    3 months ago

Firefighter (pic taken Jan 18, 2024)

Chrysler Imperial (pic taken Jan 16, 2024)

Deep Secret (pics taken Jan 16, 2024)

Camara. This is the hardest rose for me to capture correctly. It has a distinct black painted thing going on as it opens that I adore.

Love's Promise

Lavaglut & Trumpeter. This is maybe my favorite rose combo... the contrasting reds together melt my heart. Trumpeter is in that red/orange category that I have a lot of, but I consider Trumpeter more red than some of the others IRL.

This is another category that makes me realize how many faves I don't have pictures of!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    3 months ago

I love that Lavaglut & Trumpeter Combo !

❤️🤎

3 months ago

Those reds!!! wow, impossible to chose but Cherry Parfait, holy moly!

Oursteelers, a favorite, hum? I think gir color and health it would be Crimson Glory but Ingrid Bergman is a great repeat bloomer and blooms last forever. I was pulling weeds and fell right on top of Ingrid . I broke a pretty big cane and she thanked me with a gynormoud bruise and and deeply embedded thorn but she never stopped blooming. But the color of that darn Papa Meiland stops me in my tracks. I also have Bordoeux but couldnt find any pictures. I can see that I need way more reds.

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    3 months ago

Darcey Bussell. Blooms from April theough December. Always red, and mostly fragrant.

• elenazone6
    3 months ago

Oursteelers, thank you! Cherry Parfait is a real beauty and changed her color.

• susan9santabarbara
    3 months ago

We all know how hard it is to take good pics of our reds. One thing I really noticed on this thread is that almost all of the pics are just a smidge blurry to me. I wasn't sure if it was my monitor, Houzz, or my bad eyesight, LOL. I usually click on a pic if I want to see it bigger, but I noticed that pretty much every single pic I clicked on got much more in focus. So if you want to see any of them the way their author intended, this is definitely the thread to do that! Wonderful pics, everyone :-D

• Diane Brakefield
    3 months ago

A lot of the reds above looked brightened up to me, and seem to stick out at the viewer. It doesn't look natural. Don't hate me, folks. I use a camera camera and like its results better than phone cameras, and I never tweak anything to brighten it up. Diane

• susan9santabarbara
    3 months ago

Diane, none of my pics are tweaked in any way. I mentioned this, because usually when I post pics of my roses, the pics here look pretty much exactly like the originals, just obviously smaller. But the red pics really jumped out at me as looking slightly blurry, mine as well as others'. I think it might be more of a Houzz thing with the red pics, but I could be wrong!

• Diane Brakefield
    3 months ago

I think it's the cameras used and possibly a little tweaking. In this case, I don't think it's Houzz--surprise. Just my opinion. Susan, I wasn't meaning you or anyone in particular. Diane

• susan9santabarbara
    3 months ago

Diane, I understand the point you're making. I'm just wondering why you think it's the camera and tweaking of pics, when the ONLY time I've noticed this on pics posted to Houzz is with the reds? I just went back on all of the current color pic threads to see the new postings, and I also looked at all of my pics again after this conversation. All of my pics look fine (and exactly like the originals) without clicking, except for the reds. Same with everyone else's. Not trying to start an argument :-D

• erasmus_gw
    3 months ago

I use a camera too and never tweak my pictures. I don't know how and it would not be any fun at all to post tweaked pictures. Someone who used my camera once changed my camera settings to have more blue in them so I do have a small batch of pictures that were off in color but that was a long time ago.

It seems to me that very brightly colored roses can be hard to photograph..it's like the intensity of the color overexposes the " film". Sometimes I try to subdue it by focusing on my hand, then moving the camera to capture the bloom. Sometimes it will be less overexposed doing that.

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    3 months ago

My daughters tell me that none of my red roses are truly red. I guess my problem is that I shy away from anything that might turn orangey red and go for the crimson shades. Those tend to get a pink tone in my hot sunshine. Nevertheless, Rouge Royale is the reddest red I have and I call it red and let my daughters say what they wish. ;)

• elenazone6
    3 months ago

Its interesting that nobody is growing Mr. Lincoln?https://www.davidaustinroses.com/products/mister-lincoln

Absolutely not my type, but first time when I saw this rose blooming in local nursery, I just stopped speechless looking at the beauty of this rose.

• elenazone6
    3 months ago

judijunebugarizonazn8 , I am with you, do not like red in orange roses. Your Rouge Royale is absolutely stunning! Glad I have ordered it for this season.

3 months ago

I use my phone to photograph and wouldn’t know how to tweek if I was being held captive . I think my phone captures red as rather garish.

• elenazone6
    3 months ago

Folks, you do not have to excuse and explained. Its up to anyone how picture your roses!!

• bart bart
    3 months ago

For some reason I think that it can be very difficult to capture red roses'colour with a camera,but I don't know why. Take a look at the pictures on HMF of Souvenir D'Alphonse Lavalee https://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.17480 ,and try reading the comments!

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    Original Author
    3 months ago

All my pictures are taken with my phone and I don’t tweak either. I only use HOUZZ from my phone and always have to click on pictures for them to be clear.

My problem with getting pictures of dark pink and red roses is that they often have a glare or shine in pictures that isn’t there in real life

• catspa_zone9sunset14
    3 months ago

I've only ever used a "camera-camera" and even in the days when it involved film, reds were a problem. Whites, too. Thanks for the tip about using your hand to set the exposure, @erasmus_gw -- I'll try that.

• susan9santabarbara
    3 months ago

Elena, Mister Lincoln is one of the many reds I grow that I have no pictures of! I'm working on getting better at taking more pics of my roses :-D

• Diane Brakefield
    3 months ago

I used a film camera for decades, 35 mm SLR. But my current camera is an old digital camera handed down to me by my granddaughter, Clare. I have never had a problem with reds or purples with this camera or a film camera. But you do need to watch the sunlight, and take your pics either very early in the morning, or in fairly late afternoon sun. Diane

• dianela7analabama
    3 months ago

my only ones close to true reds. I much prefer the dark reds with cool undertones like Ascot, Darcey Bussell or Dark Desire

Reds are very hard to capture with my iphone, a shady day is best here.

Florentina

Bordeaux Cityscape

Florentina up close

Bordeaux up close

• erasmus_gw
    3 months ago

I usually take pictures in the morning or late afternoon and I still have trouble getting accurate reds. I googled this problem and saw one response that said red was the easiest color to photograph which seems exactly backwards to me. Other posts acknowledged there's a problem photographing red.

Here's one of them:

https://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/10735/why-do-bright-red-flowers-end-up-without-details?noredirect=1&lq=1

I don't remember ever seeing any of your red rose photographs , Diane. I've seen burgundy but not true red. Maybe you could share some here. Your camera may well be a superior one.

• Feiy (PNWZ8b/9a)
    3 months ago

I have some interesting reds. The first one is Velvet Fragrance with always changing flower shape. I'm not sure if it's the right variety or just the weather. It stays small and grows slowly, but it's vivid red and very fragrant.

The flower shape of Miracle On The Hudson changes too. In spring, it is a beautiful single pure red, but then it decides to perm itself into big wavy hair, showing a mature charming style. LOL.

This is an unknown red climber. When I was rebuilding the garden, I took one of the suckers. Yes, it is very good at suckering. There were some clones in the backyard, even on steep slopes. Judging from the leaves, it should be a modern hybrid variety, maybe Cl, Etoile de Hollande? Strong fragrance. Mainly flush in spring with scattered blooms in fall.

I got Eugène de Beauharnai last year and the bloom is marvelous! Really expecting to see how it grows this season.

• rosecanadian
    3 months ago

Oh my goodness!!!!!! The Royal Red color sure produces some gorgeous roses...this was such an inspirational thread!!!! Thank you everyone for the gift of your rose pics!!