Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Fancy sneakers for me?

Sueb20
2 months ago

So, we are on vacay and as usual I’m checking out what everyone is wearing. BTW it is like 40 degrees in Austin today, WTH? So I was admiring these sneakers at lunch.

I had only vaguely heard of Golden Goose, had no idea they were $500+. Why??? Also why isn’t she taking better care of her $500 sneakers? I’d be lovingly bathing them after each wearing.

Then I saw that they’re made in Venice… I’ll be there in May. Think they’re cheaper there? Like 75% cheaper?

Comments (233)

• Funkyart
    last month
    last modified: last month

Hi Arapaho -- not sure if you recommended them. Maybe? I saw them in a local store that carries a lot of gabor shoes/boots.

I don't usually have an issue with toe box so it doesnt really stick out as wide or not-- which suggests to me that it isnt especially wide. I will say the whole shoe is "comfortably snug" .. something I prefer because it provides me with more support and the sense of stability (I do not have the natural sense of stability due to ... brain/vision issues).

Any chance you have a local store that carries them? That is what nudged me off the fence.

ETA .. my storegives guidance on sizing, widths etc ..

This is what they added to the listing for the sneakers I have ..

"This style is great for a medium to slightly wider foot, and the removable footbed gives you the option to use your own orthotic footbed. "

and the ones I am considering...

"Gabor tends to run slightly large. Consider ordering pads to ensure the best fit or if your feet run narrow. "

I added a link to my store above-- if you call the Camp Hill store and talk to Carla, she can give you great info! I am sure all the folks can give you great info but i have been working with Carla (and her dad before that) for a billion years.

• Arapaho-Rd
    last month

Funky, what great info you provided - a BIG thank you! There is no store near me but I know of Camp Hill. Appreciate the link to your store - it looks wonderful !!!

• Funkyart
    last month
    last modified: last month

How do you know of Camp Hill? Have you been to the area? Know people here? Was it Book-of-the-Month lol?

It is a very small borough... but there are a number of surrounding towns that use the CH mailing address.

• Arapaho-Rd
    last month

I've traveled many times by Camp Hill heading south, Funky! Neighboring states : )

• jakabedy
    last month

I have never before heard of these sneakers, or their alleged knock-off clones! Retreating quietly and contentedly cluelessly into the sunshiny bliss that is this place described by some as a third world country tucked between Texas and Arizona.

• Funkyart
    last month

Ah.. well let me know if you ever want to stop on your travels and do some shoe shopping!

• Arapaho-Rd
    last month

That would be fun! :D

• Funkyart
    last month

I just received my vejas in mulberry-- they were very hard to find in my size so when I found them, I ordered them! I think they are very cute!

I haven't worn them other than in the house yet-- I will give them a spin around a block or two tomorrow.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last month

great color!

• maddie260
    last month

Those are so cute, funky!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last month

Oh, I saw Vejas in Nordstrom in a green color I loved! Cannot find them in my size anywhere, though. ☹️

• deegw
    last month

I love the look of Vejas but every pair I've tried has not been comfy. And my son-in-law wears them so I try not to be matchy with him!

I tried these sneakers on a whim and I am so happy with them. And they are inexpensive as well. And don't look too goofy. Hopefully, they don't fall apart in a month.

Lots of cushioning, good support, comfortable tongue, wide toe box.

https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product/dr.-scholls-time-off-platform-sneaker/533259?activeColor=100

• Funkyart
    last month

Yeah, I haven't tried the vejas out on the road yet-- I hope to today but it is rainy now so hoping it clears up later.

Sue, Free People has a number of vejas styles and at least a couple of greens. They do have limited sizes as many are sold out-- I ended up getting mine from Beyond Yoga but many stores carry them. Hope you find the color you are looking for in your size!

• Tina Marie
    last month

I love the color!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    last month

The post i was responding to is gone so i will remove mine

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last month

This is the color/model I liked. I think they call it khaki but they are sage green to my eye IRL. Tried both of your sources, Funky. Still no dice.

• bbstx
    last month

Funky, is the white actually white or is it pale pink. Reading a touch pink on my monitor. Whichever, they are adorable!!

• Funkyart
    last month

one more try .. my post isn't taking. I will try again without the link.

bbstx - they are white, except for the V

Sueb - they are on the Vejas site and it looks like the have all sizes!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last month

Oh, thanks, Funky! I swear they didn’t have my size last time I looked!

• Oakley
    last month

I haven't read any replies but I intend too. Looking at the GG website had me there forever because it's the first time I saw a shoe I'd be willing to sit on a corner with cup in hand.

If I was still playing tennis which I did through my 30's, or still playing college coed intramural softball, like I said, I'd beg for these. They'd sleep with me too.

Can't download the pic but please look at these super cool vintage looking shoes.

https://www.goldengoose.com/us/en/women-s-super-star-with-a-suede-star-and-peach-pink-glitter-heel-tab-cod-GWF00102.F004489.11471.html

• OutsidePlaying
    last month

Has anyone worn Cariuma sneakers? I decided to order a pair of their lightweight mesh version (the Ibi low version) to wear on a trip to Italy. I’ve also ordered a pair of Allbirds tree runners so we’ll see. I love my wool mizzles and will see how these work out. I’ll decide what to take once they arrive, maybe both and a pair of Ecco sandals. The trip isn’t until May so i have some time.

• hhireno
    last month

I have a hard time even opening this thread. The photo of the ”dirty“ sneakers and the schmutz on the floor is so off-putting to me. It conjures up the smell of a stale, greasy restaurant. They don’t serve salads there.

But I do open it, and quickly scroll by the photo, because I’m interested in the other brands of sneakers recommendations.

Carry on.

• barncatz
    last month

I have a pair of Allbirds wool sneakers. They're a white/beige/gray pattern that I don't see on the website. I think they're cute and very comfortable, but sneakers are an easy fit for me.

I love funky's mulberry Vejas but since my Allbirds are still in such good shape - washable! - I haven't gone looking.

• maddielee
    last month

haha - I keep hoping someone will pick up the damg french fry.

”The photo of the ”dirty“ sneakers and the schmutz on the floor is so off-putting to me. It conjures up the smell of a stale, greasy restaurant. They don’t serve salads there.

But I do open it, and quickly scroll by the photo”

• OllieJane
    last month

Same, here LOL.

Personally, that is an ugly pair of GG. Also, they look better with tan feet/legs.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    last month

Hey, are you people judging the places where I each lunch?

• deegw
    last month

LOL, Sue!

• HU-570180435
    last month

I havent tried the allbirds they are in my basket but i have hesitated …. people here seem to like them .?

• bbstx
    29 days ago

My DSIL loves his AllBirds. I trust his judgment. I’ve been tempted to get myself a pair just because he likes his.

• teeda
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

Sue, I didn't love the sneakers but I did like the look of the setting! Swivel stools, raised foot rest--it all says vintage style diner to me. DH and I used to do road trips to iconic diners.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    29 days ago

It was a cool diner! On South Congress in Austin. My pics:

• mtnrdredux_gw
    29 days ago
    last modified: 28 days ago

For those of you looking for DORKY sneakers, I have an entry.

I bought these for walking along Lisbon's infamous cobblestone streets and seven hills. They were great. I told DH I felt like a mountain goat in them. This sentence may not make it into their advertising materials, but YKWIM.

I also borrowed one of my DD's pair of GG; we are all the same shoe size. I liked them. I decided I am going to buy myself a pair, and have her, as a generous favor to me, break them in (they are leather). She politely agreed to perform this service. I kinda like these:

I have become obsessed with looking at people's sneakers. First, they are absolutely the weapon of choice. I didn't realize how unusual "real" shoes are, especially in urban areas. I also felt a little less sheepish about mine when I saw these the other day in the city. It's a Skechers dupe! LOL

• Kswl
    26 days ago

That shoe and other like it make people’s feet look like paws. I think that is odd.

I wear sneakers as little as possible.

• bbstx
    26 days ago

I’m a sneaker wearer. My current favs are my Tretorn leather sneakers and my J. Crew field sneakers. But @kswl, you ”paw” comment brought to mind the Hoof shoes that Lady Gaga wore sometime ago.

• Kswl
    26 days ago

Whoa, Bbstx! How incredibly weird! And I don’t really understand why such a talented person feels the need to garner attention that way. (Remember the meat dress? )

• teeda
    25 days ago

Eeew, Bbstx, those shoes really creep me out.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    25 days ago

I do not know the specifics, but I usually find that artists choose such bizarre things to garner attention to a cause of some sort. I cannot vouch for the particulars here, but maybe it is a statement about animal rights? Maybe it is supposed to draw attention to the use of leather, well accepted but to some, equally gross?

• salonva
    25 days ago

Ewww is right. I'm with you on the equally gross.

• Kswl
    25 days ago
    last modified: 25 days ago

I agree in principle Mtn but it seems unlikely that a meat dress would be worn to bring attention to animal rights. That would be like wearing a mink coat to protest wearing fur. Logic is not a common trait though, so you may be right. 🧐

• bbstx
    25 days ago

From the BBC:

In a post-show interview with Ellen DeGeneres, Gaga said no offence was intended, and explained that the dress was a statement protesting the US military's "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy – which prevented service people from disclosing their sexual identity.Sep 21, 2023

Not sure I see the correlation.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    25 days ago
    last modified: 25 days ago

KSWL, I was talking about the hoof shoes.

Msot of us accept leather shoes without question, maybe hoof shoes are meant to draw attention to the fact that we are using animals.

Again, I cannot vouch for this just speculating.

• Kswl
    25 days ago

Sorry, i was carried away by my memory of her meat dress! The hoof shoes just look like the end of Animal Farm… in reverse. 😎

• Funkyart
    22 days ago
    last modified: 22 days ago

I just got home from sneaker shopping and cocktails (does it get any better?)

My mission was to try some of the brands mentioned here and elsewhere and see what I thought. I tried:

Asics (I have a pair but tried their higher end styles) .. they were fine but not as good as the others. Passed.

On Cloud Cloudrunner ... the were fine but a little "bouncy" for my vertigo/depth perception issues. Also, not really all THAT comfortable.

On Cloud Roger .. i knew the moment I put them on my feet (even before standing/walking) that these were going to be great. I hear folks size up but I actually went down a 1/2 size. These aren't running shoes but they are comfy and look cute. I think they will be great for general walking.

They came home with me ...

And then I tried Hoku ... I was never a fan of the look. They were lowest on my interest list but I found a pair that wasn't garish lol ... and they ended up being incredibly comfortable. These will work well for more intense walking/working out.

I like the Ahari. I tried on the white/rose gold but am now deciding which color. I am leaning towards the blue green below but my local stores didnt have it in stock.

• mojomom
    22 days ago

I’m shopping for some cute white, maybe even a floral for summer, My current non-workout sneaker lineup:

Ron White sneaker, J/Slideplatform (good for jeans hemmed for boots) and Sketchers (super comfy)

• Funkyart
    22 days ago

I really like the ron white sneakers! And I keep getting ads for the sketchers on the bottom -- are they comfortable?

• Allison0704
    21 days ago

@OutsidePlaying What did you think of the Cariuma pair, and which style did you try? TIA

• gsciencechick
    20 days ago

Update: I got the Steve Madden sneakers. They are good though I was wondering if they’d be too small but it’s been so long since I wore leather vs fabric sneakers it’s such a different feel. These are really more fashion/casual vs workout.

• kitschykitch
    14 days ago

Those are really cute!

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    14 days ago

Spanish, I lean that way too “ Speaking for myself, I am into labels but not logos….But, I have learned that the label may not tell the product truthfully. Whenever the item has been made for the discount market .. in this latest case, I am looking at you Cole Haan and Nordstrom Rack...buyer beware. Loved my C. Haan Grand Court sneakers, so bought a new pair at N.Rack. The inner lining was merely a thin piece of foam that had made the shoes unwearable after a few weeks. Ugh. I‘ve learned , in So many cases, the once upscale brand has been sold strictly for Its name. It feels unlawfully dishonest to me.

That may not be the Cole Haan story, though the family brand was sold awhile ago.

• Lars
    14 days ago

I've always called them tennis shoes instead of sneakers, but then I did wear them to play tennis.

In San Francisco, I would buy Tretorn tennis shoes because they were all white, and I would buy Tretorn tennis balls because they were also white, whereas other tennis balls (in the 1970s) were fluorescent chartreuse or orange, and I wanted my tennis to be all white. I even made my own tennis shorts.

I recently bought some more white leather Tretorn tennis shoes, and I feel that I can wear them all year in Palm Springs - especially since so many people wear golf outfits there.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH