Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenmist

Lavendar Floribunda? Recommendations please?

Garden Mist
last month

Zone 8a PNW - BC Canada

I'm hoping to plant a Lavendar Floribunda next to Easy Spirit and Ebb Tide. I'm hoping to find a floribunda that will bloom profusely all season long, disease resistant and a beautiful fragrance. Any suggestions please for my zone? Thanks again everyone.

Comments (23)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    last month

I am not sure , how big it would get in your zone,but Poseidon is a fabulous rose!

Garden Mist thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    last month

I love Charles De Gaulle and Love Song both very bloomy and great color

Charles DeGaulle

last month

And Violets Pride is a nice lavender as well

Garden Mist thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • elenazone6
    last month

Le Petit Prince

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    last month

Kristine, love your love song🌸

• Garden Mist
    Original Author
    last month
    last modified: last month

These roses are beautiful. I think I'm loving 'Poseidon" but I'm not sure how tall it would get in my zone? I think it would look beautiful with Ebb Tide and Easy Spirit. I'm hoping all three would grow to be about the same height, as they would be planted in a triangle design in the corner of my lawn. Curious to know, when planting them together, how much spacing would you allow between each rose? Thank you all!

• Patrick-7a-MD
    last month

I recommend POSEIDON. I have grown this rose own root since 2018 and have not seen a more vigorous or disease resistant lavender rose. It blooms non-stop no matter how hot and humid it gets, and In just two seasons grew into a full sized shrub.

The black spot resistance of the glossy green foliage is unbelievable. It does not show any sign of the disease until August and even then only on the leaves attached to interior canes where air cannot circulate. Removing the affected leaves and spraying with a fungicide (Mancozeb) makes short work of the problem. I grow it non-spray and simply remove the leaves. The growth habit is urn shaped and very tall (Poseidon is one of the few roses that actually looks like a shrub).

The color is a cool lavender that is as "blue" as a rose is going to get. It blooms in clusters but if you disbud for one bud per stem the result is a enormous globular blossom on a long and strong stem (no nodding, thank goodness). The flowers also last a while in the vase so don't worry about the petals suddenly dropping overnight either.

It does have a few flaws. For starters, not a fan of the ragged petal tips, but to be honest the full old-fashioned flower form compensates nicely. The medium fragrance could be stronger, but at least it is consistent and does have a nice freshness. Lastly, like with all "cool" toned lavender roses ala Blue Girl, the blooms get these ugly brown edges during heavy rain so it does better in dry climates or you can just cut the blooms early for the vase, which is what I do.

One lavender Floribunda that I have my eye on is BLUE FOR YOU, but not having grown it, can't comment.

• sylviaww 9a,hot dry Inland SoCal
    last month

Love Song gets big here, up to 5 x5’ (75 cm, I think?) and probably would be wider if it had more space. Give this rose enough water and it will be a champ. I have pictures galore, but Houwwwwwlzzz ..
    Lavender Veranda is a small floribunda with a graceful habit and attractive blooms with folded/tipped petals. It’s never gotten more than 4’ in as many years.

• Diane Brakefield
    last month

I think Love Song is a most wonderful lavender floribunda. I've grown two LS since they were first introduced in the US. Love Song is a top bloomer for me and has an exquisite blue lavender coloring to its blooms. The bloom structure is a beautiful one, too. We don't have fungal diseases here so I can't comment on that issue. My Love Song are both grafted and are fairly good sized. They never give me any problems. I grow quite a few Tom Carruth roses and love them all. Diane

Garden Mist thanked Diane Brakefield
  • Markay MD-Zone 7A (8A on new map)
    last month

Wow! the Love Song pics are lovely. I grow roses no-spray in an area with high disease pressure and Poseidon is a champ, but a very tall champ for a florabunda. It easily hits 6 ft here.

Garden Mist thanked Markay MD-Zone 7A (8A on new map)
  • Garden Mist
    Original Author
    last month

Diane, Thanks for your 'AMAZING PHOTOS'

Those photos of "Love Song" are gorgeous. How tall do they get? I am wondering what shape they grow into? I will need to learn more about them. I wonder if that lavendar with work with Easy Spirt and Ebb Tide? Thanks again for posting those gorgeous pics.

last month

Patrick, I can give a big thumbs up on Blue For You. It is one of those roses that makes me smile. The color is beautiful and it is totally healthy in my no spray garden

• Diane Brakefield
    last month

Your welcome, Garden Mist. My Love Song's are about 4' tall and 4-5' wide. Their shapes are rounded, thick with canes. I love their shapes. I think Ebb Tide and Easy Spirit would look fine with Love Song. I have my Ebb Tide roses in front near Julia Child and Twilight Zone, and in back my Ebb Tide is next to Munstead Wood. ET look good with a lot of color combinations. I can't be too picky on what I put where because of lack of space for moving around. And it all works out.

Beautiful Blue for You, Kristine. I need to learn more about that rose.

Garden Mist, here's what Twilight Zone, a similar color to Ebb Tide, looks like next to Julia Child and Augusta Luise. Diane

• Jadae
    last month

There are no good answers to this ask.

The healthiest tend to have little to no scent. Some of them are prone to winter stem diseases or winter shock. Some are too dark to consider lavender, or they change colors too often.

The best consolation I have found is Enchanted Evening. It checks all of the boxes, but is not a perfect choice.

I think Blueberry Hill, like Love Song, has immense color impact and very dynamic blooms. But not a lot of fragrance. Most of the current Kordes lavender roses are completely scentless. This is a bothersome trend for an entire color class known for fragrance to be widely accepted as scentless.

I like Blue for You, but its closer to the moody mauve types, and can change color tone readily.

The real Shocking Blue is quite nice, but most sold as Shocking Blue are actually Deep Purple or other similar roses. Half of the photos on HMF of Shocking Blue are likely deep Purple.

A new one from Weeks sold by JP online, 'La Di Da', is both lavender and fragrant. No clue how healthy it will be.

Garden Mist thanked Jadae
  • Garden Mist
    Original Author
    last month

Diane B. Thanks so much for your answer regarding "Love Song" - I really think I'll love it with Easy Spirit and Ebb Tide. I just finished "shovel pruning" my beautiful "Julie Childs" as she suffered severe winter die back all the way down. We had an extreme cold snap with violent winds in January. I loved "Julia Child" - One of these days, I'll get another one. I'm doing my entire garden in white with various shades of purple. So, Julia is going to be replaced by Ebb Tide which I've already ordered from my local rose nursery. Your photos are so beautiful and really inspired me! Thanks so much again! Twilight Zone is stunning too! Happy Spring!

last month

Good choice Garden mist.

Your garden will be lovely. I have some of the same roses but Twilight Zone instead of Ebb Tide. I also have Charles De Gaulle, Lavender Veranda, Quicksilver, Plum Perfect, Love Song Paradise, Madame Blue,Lifes Little Pleasure and Munstead Wood, also a couple of pinks. I am a new convert to loving lavender.

last month

Oh and Blue For You

Garden Mist thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Garden Mist
    Original Author
    last month

Kristine, absolutely beautiful! It actually has different shades of lavender. So pretty!

Thank you for sharing this lovely photo.

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    last month

Kristine, your Blue For You is gorgeous!

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    last month

Kristine - where did you get your Charles de Gaulle? I had one from Palatine but lost it last year and really want to replace it. I haven't seen Palatine offer it for several years and am pretty sure I'll need to plant it grafted.

Cynthia

last month

Cynthia, I actually gir mine in 2022 from Palatine. Hopefully they will carry it again because it is a great rose

• Diane Brakefield
    last month

Garden Mist, thank you so much about Love Song. I'm so sorry you had to remove your wonderful Julia Child. She's probably my best performing rose, and two of mine are 20 years old now. I like Julia with the purples like Ebb Tide and Twilight Zone. I think you plans for coordinating Ebb Tide, Easy Spirit, and Love Song together will be just gorgeous. I hope you share some of your photos when those three get going. Diane