Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_424194685

Living room layout

J T
last month

Any creative minds have suggestions on this living room and how best to arrange things. The challenge is the couch needs to be on the end of the longest wall to center in front of fireplace. We just had floors out in and working with bare bones here. Ideas much appreciated!

Comments (93)

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    last month

My home is mostly neutrals and gray..lots of black accents…wood floors…would you consider adding a dark rug?

• J T
    Original Author
    last month

Idea board is great and your home is beautiful! I like the black table and maybe a dark rug would work!

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    last month

Thank you..we have really enjoyed this room..we love the dark rug it is cozy…do have a budget for this space? don’t make any decision on window drapes until your rug has been added to the room…what is the measurements of the space above the fireplace?

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    last month

I have always loved this rug..very budget friendly….9x13

• kl23
    last month

What does everyone think of repeating the wood floor color a couple times so it's not lonely. @J T has the dry sink. Maybe the table and coffee table are wood? Would it help if JT took pictures of these must-keep items?

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    last month

Really not necessary..but mixed finishes are fine…I like the idea of wood wovens with drapes on the windows..it adds that warmth.

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    last month

k123…Dry sink?

• kl23
    last month

This is from JT 2 days ago. That's where I got the "dry sink" :)

There will be no TV in this area. Its main function is where the family gathers to talk. We do want a desk added to this space for a home office noted in the floor plan. The couch is 7ft by 3 1/2, the chairs are 2 1/2 by 2/12, we have a dry sink that is 2 1/2 by 1 1/2 and an antique table that is 3 x 2, end tables that are 1 1/2 x 2 1/2 and a coffee table that is 3 x 2.

• J T
    Original Author
    last month

@kl23 our dry sink, antique table and bird stand table (forgot to mention we have a parakeet!) are all wood that coordinates with the flooring. We love blending wood with natural colors!

• J T
    Original Author
    last month

@ Home Interiors With Ease - the space above the fireplace is 3ft 2 inches x 6ft 4 inches

• J T
    Original Author
    last month

Also, I think I really like the rug you shared in the idea board! Where is that from?

• Denise Marchand
    last month

Very funny comment, JT! Made me chuckle. The furniture you already have is beautiful. Don't be afraid of some color in the art. Your parakeet shouldn't be the only color in the room! This is such a fun thread. Love all the ideas.

• J T
    Original Author
    last month

Love it Denise, thanks! :)

• Denise Marchand
    last month

Please make sure you post pics of final masterpiece. We love to see.

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    last month

Pottery Barn

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    last month
    last modified: last month

If you have a budget for the rug let me know I can keep throwing out ideas in your budget.

• J T
    Original Author
    last month

Our budget is more of a Home Goods budget if that helps!

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    last month

Ok yes that sure does help! what are your thoughts on the darker rug I posted?

• PRO
  • PRO
  • J T
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks @Home Interiors With Ease! We may be favoring that last one. Wasn’t planning on dark but you have us definitely considering it!

• J T
    Original Author
    last month

Also, I noticed your selections are all 9x12. Would that be too big for our space? I thought I read somewhere that couches and chairs only need to have the front legs on the carpet. Can you advise?

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    last month

what rug?

1. Loloi Hathaway

2. Safavieh Vintage

3. Safavieh Evoke

• J T
    Original Author
    last month

The Loloi Hathaway…but also love the original one from Pottery Barn if there was one similar and cheaper!

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    last month

Not much like the PB…..that is a wool handknotted rug..this Loloi is a close style wise and very durable..great price too….It would still need a rug pad under it..that is very important! don't lay a rug on your wood floors without it.

• J T
    Original Author
    last month

Oh wow, thank you for that information, I had no idea!

• J T
    Original Author
    last month

We have LVT flooring, is the rule of a pad still the same?

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    last month

Yes..it gives it comfort and holds it in place or it will bunch and move…will give you a nice solid feel on the floor..

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    last month

I like a 1/4 or 1/2” thick it will make your rug look and feel like a million bucks! amazon has all different prices..felt rubber is best..

• J T
    Original Author
    last month

Just posting new arrangement for now. Will update once we acquire more things. Still going back and forth with sofa back towards front window or if it would be better flipped. The view of the chairs from the kitchen is nice though the way it is.

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    last month

Looks very nice…it is going to work out beautifully…yes they do line up nicely from that archway.

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    last month

This is a pretty way to add a desk area and make it a big part of the room design…

• Denise Marchand
    last month

In reference to the rug, depending where you are located, consider taking a look on craigslist or facebook marketplace. I have had enormous success purchasing very fine rugs for clients for great prices. Just immediately bring to your local cleaners before bringing it into your home.

I have had experience with new inexpensive rugs (for myself personally) and was unhappy the way it wore and shed all over the place. Being brand new was the draw. Home Interiors is correct about a good rug pad, what ever rug you buy. It not only feels good, it will add to the life of the rug and prevent it from slipping.

You have beautiful furniture and it would be a shame to put down something that doesn't reflect that.

These are rugs found on craigslist for clients, to give you an idea:

Project in process - the CL link:

One of my favorite finds for a consulting project:

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    last month

Getting a rug cleaned can be very expensive..I have had a oversized rug cleaned and it can cost over $500…a cheap wool rug yes it can shed..but these new polypropylene rugs can really be very durable and look great for years…but you really must add a pad…

• Denise Marchand
    last month

What about locating the desk behind the sofa? Birdcage can be in right or left corner.

• PRO
    Home Interiors With Ease
    last month

I have to chuckle I posted putting the desk behind the sofa a few post back….Denise J T mentioned her rug budget is a Homegoods budget...

• Denise Marchand
    last month

Great minds think alike!

• kl23
    last month

@J T what half of the room does your bird like? Close to kitchen or entry? Does it like a specific place?

Do you still like the idea of the desk being near the kitchen? Or are you just as happy with it near the entry? Do you use a monitor? Or a laptop only?

• J T
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you Denise and I smiled when I saw you included Buddy the parakeet!

• J T
    Original Author
    last month

@kl23 we like to keep the bird in the back corner on the kitchen side just to keep away from drafts and such from the front door. Although the layout suggestions we are getting are beautiful and much much appreciated, a desk/office to us is an isolated and private space where you go to work and not out in the open so the desk will go in the original spot planned. The same side as our bird.

• J T
    Original Author
    last month

We use both monitor and laptop

• kl23
    last month

@J T regarding the antique table and dry sink, do you use them for anything right now? Or are they just decorative? Which half of the room do you envision using them in if you know? Kitchen end or entry end?

I am wondering if the table might serve as a console behind the sofa? It could hold snacks from the kitchen or display an eye-catching backdrop of flowers or a lamp or some other treasure. I imagine you have many. What do you think?

I wonder if your dry sink is something you will want to display near the entry. Maybe on the fireplace wall, a position that shows it off right away. What do you think?

Does the parrot like to be in the corner next to your desk? Or does it like to be near a window but to the side a bit? I don't know what parrots like.

• Nitap Drawoh
    last month

JT, if you have an antique table & it’s an acceptable size, can you use it as a desk?

• J T
    Original Author
    last month

@kl23 the antique table and dry sink are decorative. The table (not big enough to be a desk @Nitap Drawoh- and too deep to be a sofa table ) just displays decorative items and the dry sink holds a plant. Probably putting them on entry end since desk and bird will be on the other ( desk on kitchen wall and bird in other corner) We also love plants and will have some larger ones about.

• kl23
    last month

@J T are you thinking you'll flank the front window with the dry sink and table? Or will you put the dry sink and plant in front of the window so the plant gets light? Or put each one in front of a window?

• J T
    Original Author
    29 days ago

@kl123 we won’t be putting anything in front of any windows because we have such large windows on every wall we get enough light for plants throughout the day no matter where they are. We will be utilizing most of our wall space for table and dry sink. The original set up had the dry sink and table on the same wall as the large front window. Flanking the dry sink along fireplace wall we have not considered but can try.

• kl23
    29 days ago

@J T I like that you won't be putting anything in front of your windows. I like your original setup of having the dry sink and table flanking the front window. Leave them there. And I like your new furniture arrangement around the fireplace. I think you are all set! I look forward to seeing pictures of your new arrangement.

Forgive me if I seem impatient. Is there anything stopping you from making it happen?

• J T
    Original Author
    29 days ago

@kl23 I love your enthusiasm and help along the way! We underwent a complete remodel of the downstairs and are slowly but surely going to be adding the finishing touches as finances allow. Lots to buy and patience is needed even though I just want to do it all at once!

• kl23
    29 days ago

@J T well I should talk... I've been planning a renovation upstairs for what seems like ages. I got an architect involved years ago. Got the interior designer involved months ago. We are still at it. Haven't started the actual renovation.

I should be asking your advice on how you sorted and stored the things you wanted to keep. I feel like the smart thing would be to decide one day to move into the downstairs bathroom, then set up a bedroom and dressing area downstairs. Then start boxing up the rest, and donating what I don't want to box up.

I started a post, and would appreciate your input. You will see my family room is much like yours. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6436708/how-to-prepare-for-renovation

• J T
    Original Author
    29 days ago

@kl23 I think your plan sounds sensible and exactly what I would do. It looks like your house has the downstairs space for it to be possible. It also sounds like a great time to do some donations! I commented on your new post but forgot to mention boxes. We have a very similar layout to yours and stored everything in our sunken TV room off the kitchen. That was the only room that was not being renovated so that worked for us. Good luck!