Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kswl3

Navy or Black?????

Kswl
25 days ago

I have two cold weather lady jackets (brown and tan plaid and a black tweed) that have been retired for the summer. I like the style and have been looking for one to wear through the autumn in either navy or black. I bought and returned a black one from Dillard’s and had sort of forgotten about it until I saw two from Zara that caught my eye online when I bought a shirtdress last month. I ordered both and they arrived today.

Navy is 100% cotton pique, fully lined, don’t adore the buttons:

Darn, you can’t see— there are also pockets (or to be accurate, pocket flaps) under the breast pockets. They are hidden by my wrists.

Black is polyester, viscose and elastane, fully lined, with one set of pocket flaps near the hem.

I like them both. They’re both very cropped, a more youthful silhouette but one that works for me to create a defined waistline.

Navy or black… black or navy…. hmmm. What say you, Garden Webbers?

Comments (49)

• 1929Spanish-GW
    25 days ago

I don‘t like breast pockets with buttons so I pick black.

Kswl thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    25 days ago
    last modified: 25 days ago

Thank you Spanish, that’s a good (spelling corrected!) reason. These are inexpensive jackets and none of the pockets are real. But in the past year I have also bought a nice jacket that has fake pockets… must be a a cost cutting move.

• eld6161
    25 days ago

I agree with Spanish. Too many large buttons on the navy.

Kswl thanked eld6161
  • salonva
    25 days ago

Honestly, I think they both look great. However, I did think the black one with the pockets near the hem give a suggestion of a waistline and is just a smidge more flattering.

I say keep 'em both.

Kswl thanked salonva
  • Honu3421
    25 days ago

I really shouldn’t advise as my fashion orientation is west of California. However, while I agree with the majority that the four buttoned pockets on the blue jacket might be too much, I’m thinking wouldn't that jacket be cute paired with a trim t-shirt style top and a pair of jeans? Sort of dressing up the jeans in a fun way. Keep them both. I thought of this after reading your jeans post.

I love your fashion threads (pun intended). You always look great and I learn so much from everyone who posts.

ETA: I also have closet envy!

Kswl thanked Honu3421
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    25 days ago

How is your dh kswl?

I know you are spending a lot of time on clothes and I wondered if that is a comfort or distraction or solace.

You always look nice!

Kswl thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • rubyclaire
    25 days ago

I prefer the black - it looks a bit more elegant and sleek.

Kswl thanked rubyclaire
  • Lyban zone 4
    25 days ago

I like the black also because of less buttons

Kswl thanked Lyban zone 4
  • cawaps
    25 days ago

I like the blue better (seems like I'm the only one). I think the fit looks better and I think cotton pique is a much nicer choice than polyester. You could always replace the buttons with something more toned down, and you might be able to remove the breast pocket buttons entirely (well, you could certainly remove them but it might not look good without).

Kswl thanked cawaps
  • Funkyart
    25 days ago

I prefer the black too-- I love the buttons and it looks more elegant!

(though fwiw, i would wear it with jeans too!)

Kswl thanked Funkyart
  • ladypat1
    25 days ago

I also like the navy a little better. Navy is harder to find, looks more classical casual. Everybody and their dog has black jackets of some sort.

Kswl thanked ladypat1
  • party_music50
    25 days ago

The blue one is perfect.

Kswl thanked party_music50
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    25 days ago

Ladypat I am weeping with laughter, thank you for that!

I might just keep them both. Having two will certainly diminish the wear on one alone. I looked last spring for the same jackets and never found anything at any price that I liked as much as these two.

Thank you for asking about DH, Bumble. Right now he is on a train trip across Canada with DS2. … a bucket list item for him. We have a few more of those coming up. He is no longer in remission and we are both feeling and processing all that entails, but still very hopeful and trying to live fully every day. I’m starting golf lessons and continuing with art classes and my singing. Dh is connecting with friends and family in every way he can.

Because he’s been gone I can sit in bed at night and pore through websites and create montages of outfits on morpholio, call for sizing info, order, and try on to my heart’s content. It’s been fun! I also made an updated list of everything I need in a purse, ordered stuff in multiples , collated it all into zippered pouches and outfitted all my purses in the current rotation with the necessary items, so ALL I have to do to change purses is move my wallet. I change purses a LOT; I love them and it’s silly to have something and not use it. I have seven bags in the current rotation, so 7 packs of small tissues, 7 travel sized lotion, 7 Burts Bees or cherry chapstick, 7 tiny folding reading glasses, 7 small bottle or eye drops, 7 packets I made up with ibuprofen and zofran ….etc.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    25 days ago

KSWL, hugs to you for this time you are in.

OK, now that the niceties are done, on to fashion! I like the navy as I think it is a little more fashion forward and not so much ladies that lunch. I was going to ask if your wardrobe favors either color. I feel that navy is better for me now that my hair is very salt and pepper. Black just seems a little harsh even though I am a winter.

I think the proportions of these jackets look more flattering than some of the blazers. (ducking now!)

Kswl thanked RNmomof2 zone 5
  • Arapaho-Rd
    25 days ago

I bet you could use both. You could always change the buttons (or have them changed) on the blue. The short style looks absolutely great on you :)

Kswl thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    25 days ago

RNmom you’re not wrong! I def look better in a shorter jacket, but l do want to be current also. I won’t lose any sleep over donating those blazers next year if the ”oversized” trend is done and dusted. I didn’t post this little shopping trip, but I bought a charcoal gray and white seersucker slacks and jacket and like it very much. The jacket is cut smaller and shorter and the slacks are almost cropped; it’s very summer casual and I have already worn it to a meeting 😎 It is comfortable and one of the many different looks I like!

I’m wearing it with a black elbow length soft knit tee from Garnet hill tucked in and with a black belt and my comfy black Birdies.

• nini804
    25 days ago

Navy pique is much more summery! I vote navy!😊

Kswl thanked nini804
  • bbstx
    25 days ago

Another navy lover here, especially for Spring and Summer.

Kswl thanked bbstx
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    24 days ago
    last modified: 24 days ago

The navy is nice with your coloring and good for spring and summer looks. Having said that, I may not go back to the bedrooms end of this house and count the number of black blazers and coats that I own. Its many in different weights, lengths, collared, open cardigan style - you name it and I have it.

Clearly I like black.

And I can dress almost mindlessly. I think you've spent more time putting lovely looks together in that wonderful closet in the last several days than I have all year. That's a criticism of me, not of you.

You said inexpensive. Why not keep both. I happen to love the black with your white pants and white tee or shell. I don't see 'ladies who lunch', I see Wow.

Kswl thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • Arapaho-Rd
    24 days ago

Kswl, I am sorry for losing track of what you and your DH are dealing with. My prayers will include both of you. Thank you for the update and for Bumblebeez's kindness for inquiring. You truly shine like a light for everyone : )

Kswl thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    24 days ago

Nothing to apologize for, Arapaho! I’m grateful not only for the understanding and empathy of this group but for the camaraderie that helps me live a normal life even when some of it is not so normal, iykwim. ❤️

• Funkyart
    24 days ago

❤️

Kswl thanked Funkyart
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    24 days ago

💕

Kswl thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • 3katz4me
    24 days ago

I've been wondering about your DH too. Thank you for sharing the update. I'm glad he is enjoying time with DS2.

I like both navy and black - they look very nice on you.

Kswl thanked 3katz4me
  • mojomom
    24 days ago

Thanks for sharing, and prayers for you and your DH. It’s great that he seems to be enjoying himself and having a good time.

As for the jackets, keep both! They are both great and classic and look wonderful on you.

Kswl thanked mojomom
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    24 days ago

I like both. I think the cropped jackets are more flattering to you. But as I said in a thread a while back, clothes communicate a lot of things. We don't always want or need to turn to the most flattering thing in our closet.

• Kswl
    Original Author
    24 days ago

Exactly, Mtn. Many different places to go, different persons with whom to interact, different things to be done…so many different looks! I hope I like golf …..golf skirts here I come!

• ratherbesewing
    24 days ago

Winter clothes away?? We had snow showers all day yesterday. Sigh.

I like both jackets as well. If the buttons on the navy jacket are too prominent, consider new buttons. You might be able to remove the buttons entirely on the flap pockets and simply tack the flap down.

Kswl thanked ratherbesewing
  • Irish2
    24 days ago

I like both but if I had to choose one it would be the black. I have been MIA for a few days (cataract removal 😉) so I am just playing catch up on your Spring fashions.

You could have your own YT channel!

Sending along a virtual hug from RI ☘️

Kswl thanked Irish2
  • Funkyart
    24 days ago

I also like the shape and style of the navy jacket but I don't love the buttons -- I might consider changing the buttons for a nice white button. It would be a more casual look but a clean/fresh look .. perhaps too nautical but I kind of like that look.

and welcome back, @Irish2 .. hope your recovery has been easy!

Kswl thanked Funkyart
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    24 days ago

White buttons is a thought! I also happen to have some navy and gold buttons that might do the trick.

Irish, congratulations on your cataract surgery! It was the most wonderful improvement in my sight 13 years ago and I’m always so happy when one of my friends has it. Taking care of your post op eyedrop schedule is basically a part time job for several weeks but SO worth it! ❤️

• Irish2
    24 days ago

@Funkyart I can truly empathize with your vision problems. I elected to wait until this year to have them removed and it could not have come soon enough. I am surprised how bright and clear things are now. I will be having my rt eye done at month end .

Kswl thanked Irish2
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    24 days ago

My preference is for the navy as I think it's a more flattering color on you. But both are nice.

Kswl thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Funkyart
    24 days ago

LOL @Irish2 of all my eye issues, I do not yet have cataracts as I approach 60. Both my parents had theirs removed so I am guessing I will develop them at some point. Not sure! I can take any new vision issues though!

I was sneaker shopping last night and asked my niece what was written along the side of the sneakers I was trying on... uh, it wasn't words. It was a series of vent holes. My fuzzy double vision made it look like small script... and this is with a fairly recent prescription and lenses optimizing vision from 2-10 feet. :(

Kswl thanked Funkyart
  • Irish2
    24 days ago

@Kswl Eyedrops pre/post surgery is like a part time job in itself. Lucky for me my DH loves excel and printed up a work sheet to refer to and check off after administering.

I knew drops were involved but was surprised at the quantity and duration. Recovery has been easy so far and I am following all post op instructions.

Kswl thanked Irish2
  • Tina Marie
    24 days ago

Late to the game here but I like the fabric of the navy one best and the look of the black one. I am not fond of chest pockets for myself. I do like the cropped length much better on you. I have to say I can't imagine wearing a jacket/blazer here in the south in the summer or late spring! I know it as hot, or maybe more so where you are. I would absolutely pass out LOL!!

Irish, welcome back! I hope you are doing well. I remember when I was helping care for my dad and he had that surgery. The eyedrops are a bit hard to keep up with! My sister or I would go by and help dad with his, to make sure he kept up with them. It is alot! But it was a great help with his vision, so well worth it.

Kswl thanked Tina Marie
  • 3katz4me
    24 days ago

kswl - are you just learning to play golf for the first time? Hope you have fun with it. I sometimes say I keep playing just so I can buy more golf clothes and shoes. That helps keep me going through the frustrating times - which is most of the time.

Kswl thanked 3katz4me
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    24 days ago

Learning for the first time, 3katz. I’m not an athelete and have a tremendous capacity for being in a plateau :) adding… and an interest in skorts!

• 1929Spanish-GW
    24 days ago

Two topics going parallel here Kswl - keep bringing your fashion shows here it is a great way to let one’s mind drift. Sending love.

And back to the buttons. I was trying to be subtle, but I’m going to be less subtle. Breast pockets with buttons are way too suggestive for me to be comfortable in. The pockets add bulk. The buttons add, well you know what they add….😏

• mtnrdredux_gw
    24 days ago

LOL, I don't see it that way 1929. The buttons are placed higher.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    24 days ago

Right?!? I WISH my buttons were that high!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    24 days ago

I *knew* someone would say that! LOL

• Kswl
    Original Author
    24 days ago

Lollol!!! I have no witty repartee for that :)

• maire_cate
    22 days ago

Kswl - The jacket and dress are perfect together and I agree completely with your last comment. Without the jacket the dress almost looks a little lonely. I've been thoroughly enjoying your fashion shows and am so impressed with your keen eye and ability to create just the right look. It's a talent that I lack. My problem is buying separates and then trying to come up with the best pairing. Now I'm looking forward to discover what you'll find when you start dressing for the links.

I've been wondering about your DH too but reluctant to inquire. Sending hugs and continued prayers to you and your family.

Kswl thanked maire_cate
  • Kswl
    Original Author
    22 days ago

Thank you Maire Care ❤️

• Funkyart
    22 days ago

I just love that style of dress -- it is classic and an adorable fun cut! The jacket is great with it .. takes it to that next level. It isnt a style I can wear well but it looks great on you!

Kswl thanked Funkyart
  • Bunny
    22 days ago

The dress and jacket look adorable on you. You can wear camel so I don't have to. :)

Kswl thanked Bunny
  • gardener123
    21 days ago

I like it all! I do love pique in the summer, so classic and cool. And you have such a warm smile, KSWL. Also sending hugs. Hope DS2 and DH are knocking it out of the park.

Kswl thanked gardener123