Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoang_ton

Like No Other - 1st Year

The color is not as pink as it looks due to the camera not capturing the color correctly. It is more purplish in person, but not as purple as the marketing pictures. I bought it as an ownroot so it's doing well so far.

Comments (13)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    25 days ago
    last modified: 24 days ago

Beautiful! LNO is one of the best newer roses I have bought. It is a great healthy bloomer here. The color is phenomenal and I agree, very hard to capture just how pretty it is.

Hoang Ton - Zone 9a thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • Echo_Texas_zone9a
    25 days ago

I absolutely adore mine! The color and form are fantastic. The only thing to mention is the bloom size, J&P says 3 inches and mine are much smaller. I’m assuming the plant maturing will help that (?)

• Hoang Ton - Zone 9a
    Original Author
    25 days ago
    last modified: 25 days ago

Echo, I have no idea but I would think so. I planted mine on Jan 28th of this year so my experience with it is limited.

• Echo_Texas_zone9a
    25 days ago

Hoang Ton, I planted mine at roughly the same time as you. I guess we will see!

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    25 days ago

That is an incredible first flush from an own root 1st year plant. Where did you buy it from? I grew Like No Other when it first came out, I liked the fullness of the flower and it had a strong anise scent, But a bunny decided it was delicious like no other and ate the whole thing while leaving its neighbors alone.

Hoang Ton - Zone 9a thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • Hoang Ton - Zone 9a
    Original Author
    25 days ago
    last modified: 25 days ago

Bent, im sorry to hear that. i too have rabbit problem so i triy to keep up with the fish spray, it seems to keep them at bay. I got this rose from Jackson and Perkins.

• Echo_Texas_zone9a
    24 days ago

Sultry, how large are the bloom sizes for you and how old is the plant?

Mine is 2.5 nearly all bloomed out and probably 1.5 inches with a toght bud very small blooms

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    23 days ago

I think the plant was in its 2nd yr when I took that photo. I've had some 5 inch blooms on LNO, usually they are smaller. I will measure when it blooms again. It has some new buds now. I think I also got mine from Jackson Perkins

• mark_roeder 4B NE Iowa
    23 days ago

Hoang, I know you are in a challenging environment for growing roses because I went to school at FSU. Some day I hope to get there during football season. Can you control diseases so they look relatively good in football season?

• Echo_Texas_zone9a
    23 days ago

Sultry, I’m so glad to hear that from you. I really think LKO is a perfect color and form and if one even approached 5 inches it would be rose heaven! I am just not keen on small blooms so I hope mine does as yours has! fingers crossed!

• Hoang Ton - Zone 9a
    Original Author
    23 days ago

Mark, I can control them till the summer month, that's when the struggle to keep them looking nice really begin, especially the spider mites, they are a pain. Then I would have to semi hard prune them in Oct to get a nice fall display again.

• Hoang Ton - Zone 9a
    Original Author
    23 days ago

At peak bloom

• Charles Kidder
    23 days ago

I hate rabbits. And deer. I used to like them. Up until I planted something. When I fist moved into my house I thought it was nice to have four legged animals roam through my yard. I was really naïve. The only thing that works for me against rabbits is to fence off the bottom foot or so of a plant. it's gotten to the point where if I see a plant without some sort of fencing around it, it looks strange.