Shop Products
mantis__oh

Foreboding Forecast

The season here is off to a so-so start, with cold nights playing some havoc, though those seventies are so pleasant. Much more concerning is a forecast with multiple ninety-degree days and no rain.

Mighty in Battle was moved to the estate, where it was admired on a garden tour. No earwigs at the estate, so it has a lot of earlier bloomers.

Spunky Girls. Sturdy scapes with well-spaced flowers.

Scarlet Pimpernel. Short and don't know when it will be registered height.

Star of India. Doesn't like cold nights, but fully open later in morning. Such wonderful branching and bud count. An under-appreciated cultivar.

Heroes on Horseback. Aptly named. A Davisson.

Ashwood Wray of Sunshine. Yellow with a greenish cast. Makes a bright spot and has instant rebloom scapes forming. At my residence, it was plagued by earwigs, as it begins opening in the night.

Thomas Tew. Low bud count this year.

Katherine Caldwell. Not a fast multiplier, but reliable.

King Crab --admired on the tour.

Sputnik. Nearly all flowers pleated so far this year. (Not typical of last year.)

Asheville Sunlit Rainbow

John Karl Seager

Early Shirley. Seems like fewer buds this year.

Small World Fire in the Hole. Would like to see taller and a bit bigger. Was devoured by earwigs in my personal garden.

• last month

We have one more day of pleasant weather and then the heat begins to build. It was chilly this morning with no sun and lots of wind. Our grass is getting dry and Bob is watering this evening.

You show a lot of beautiful purples and lavenders, but my favorite of the bunch is King Crab. I am usually not into lavenders, but the John Karl Saeger is quite lovely.

Nancy

• last month

Same here on the weather. There is one day supposedly reaching 98 in the forecast. Not ready for that heat with accompanying humidity.

Great photo of Mighty in Battle. It shows the deep dark velvety color. I like the color on John Karl Seager. Nice clumps on Early Shirley and Small World. It may have low bud count but at least you have flowers on Thomas Tew! Mine was bug destroyed-every bud.

Stay cool!!

• last month

All are nice but King Crab would be my pick. I like bright daylilies to give a pop of color. Wondering will it hold up in the hotter temps? Increase? Budcount?

We too will be going into the 90's but not till early next week per the weather app.

Julia

• last month

All of these look great! Nineties without rain is usual June weather here. I like the looks of Mighty in Battle.

Thanks for posting Ashwood Wray of Sunshine! It reminds me of Marty Wray, for whom Richard Norris named it. She was a friend and poster on Garden Web back in the 90s and early 2000s. She died a year or two after that daylily was registered. I'll always remember her story about a professional landscaper who was helping her plan a new garden. She told the person she was a daylily collector and would be filling the hardscaping with daylilies of different colors. The landscaper told her, "That will look like a Flower Fairy threw up." Marty squealed with delight, and said, "That's just what I want!" When I looked at my own backyard today, I thought a whole squad of flower faires must have thrown up back here." And I laughed, remembering Marty.

Here are some other thoughts I had about your pictures: I've always liked photos of Katherine Caldwell. I bet it would be great one to cross with pink Gossard or Davisson UFs. That's the best photo of Asheville Sunlite Rainbow I've ever seen - other than the Blue Ridge photo. I always love the looks of John Karl Seager. I tried to buy it twice, and both times got the wrong plant. Small World Fire in the Hole is a gorgeous hot-colored daylily. What is the height on it?

Beautiful post, Mantis! Thank you for sharing your pictures!

Debra

• last month

Your plants always look so healthy and well-grown so it's a pleasure to see your photos. All look good so impossible to choose a favorite today. My Scarlet Pimpernel is always registered height, if perhaps a little taller so I'm surprised yours is short.

• last month

My Scarlet Pimpernel is like Celeste's, usually taller than registered [but not this year: divided it last year].

I really like Katherine Caldwell as well as Mighty in Battle.

It is going to get hot here too.

Brad

• last month

Its going to be around 90 for the next 5? days. We have had rain here recently, that is a plus. Not much going here yet, not sure if the heat will have much of an impact.

Mighty in Battle caught my eye, looks tall and regal, great color.

Sherry

• last month

Your photos are always beautiful and show your gardening abilities as well as your photography shills. I like Early Shirley and also Mighty In Battle. All look lovely as usual.

kay

• last month

That John Karl Seager picture is just lovely. I can only imagine what a soft beautiful color such as that would do in 95+ degree heat, but that's why I love to look at everyone's photos....Katherine Caldwell always looks good for you........Ironically I really like the color on Scarlet Pimpernel which the white mid rib sets off. There's hope for the height to improve next year or in rebloom if Celeste's experience is any guide...... Ironically 90 degrees is what passes for cooler temperatures here in mid summer. We just had two days of mid 80's which we all relished and today is our last cool day at 91......Then the "heat dome" comes down on us. No one looks forward to that, but we Okies and our daylilies manage to survive if not exactly thrive in it. My California friend is always aghast at our summer temperatures and swears she's never moving south-lol...............Maryl

• last month

Perhaps Scarlet Pimpernel just needs another year to settle in. Or maybe it didn't like our winter/spring. Well, we'll give it another year. Bud count always has been modest.

King Crab is a slow multiplier supposedly. This is only its second year. Nan has it.

Katherine Caldwell is also not a fast multiplier.

Small World Fire in the Hole is about 25 inches tall (same height as it was in my private garden). Registered at 30. Nan grows it; perhaps she will comment. (Mine was just moved last year.)

Sunlit Rainbow looks pretty good in person; I can't say that the picture flatters reality. Bud count is modest. John Karl Seager is a five-inch flower. It is not the registered 36 inches, but what else is new about Curt's stats. They do grow taller at Crintonic, though some measurements are dubious.

It is a pleasure to photograph flowers at the estate, as the backdrop can be beautiful.

Thanks for the background about the spelling of "Wray."

0