Shop Products

Patrinia....anyone?

I came across these a few years ago - patrinia scabiosifolia, back in my umbellifer craze (although these are not in the apiacea family at all). Have since grown p.punctiflora, gibbosa and have just ordered seeds of p.villosa, after seeing them in a Scottish garden. Has anyone else tried these rather wonderful, airy, obliging, bone hardy...and very varied perennials. Makes a very good change from the ubiquitous verbena bonariensis or zizia aurea. Am thinking of Heruga, mainly, as they do hail from Japan. I know Nancy Ondra grows them in her Hayefield garden.

• 29 days ago

I wish! I pined after them many years ago, but couldn’t get the seed. Now I don’t have the room ;-).

Funny how important location is for what you call ubiquitous. I would never call the plants you mention ubiquitous, nor Alchemilla mollis, which often gets that designation thrown at it too. Now if you mention daylilies, especially fulva and ‘Stella d’Oro’, or hostas, we are in business, as far as I am concerned.

But when I am in the Netherlands, I agree with you… Sorry for going off topic, but this just struck me.

• 29 days ago

I bought 3 Patrinia scabiosifolia plants a few years ago and they never grew and then dissapeared. I really dont have room for any now. What plants look good growing next to them? Valeriana officinalis is kind of similar. Ive had 1 Valerian blooming for a few years and it's never made seeds. Do I need 2 plants to get seeds?

• 29 days ago

Reminds me of Scabiosa ochroleuca, in a way. Which I love, but it hates me. It disappears in my garden. I have to wonder if we have opposite types of conditions? I can't kill Echinacea, and it reseeds here, like crazy, and you said earlier that yours disappear. I also can't grow geum. Really wrong conditions for it. And delphinium. And lilac. And lupine... those things just do not do well in my humid air with heavy soil.

• 29 days ago

I have 3 sitting in pots. i dreamed of a yellow cloud and thats ss far as the design goes. its 96 so i cant plant tiday or tomorrow. your reports are not encouraging but ill persevere.

i had one valerian. the fragrance was overwhelming and i found myself avoiding that spot. and the seeding!!

hundreds and hundreds of seedlings.

• 28 days ago

I tried them 3 times at my previous garden in fast draining sand. I couldn't keep them. I think one survived the winter but that was it. I haven't tried them at my new garden in heavy clay. I really loved the look of them, but they just weren't for me.

• 28 days ago

O very interesting, Heruga. I keep many of my plants in pots and move them around thye garden as I am a ditherer when it comes to placing in permanent spots. Unlike many on here, I rarely dig up and move plants around (because it is all so crowded and difficult to access)...so some plants have been in pots for years, awaiting planting...somewhere.

They are a very varied species - gibbosa has shiny, rather lovely foliage and florets of a clear, bright yellow. Am going to tuck it in amongst ferns underneath a ceanothus.

Also, very much looking forward to villosa - reminds me of valerian officinalis (which I love).

Are you growing the scabiosifolia, Marie?

• 27 days ago

Yes, I bought 3 starts from bluestone and potted them on. thet are 1/2 gallon pots. The hearty main plants have offshoots. taking a lead from Heruga iIll try separating from main plant and have some for next year.

At midnight from my bed, thats the plan fir next year!

• 26 days ago

Questions. Patrinia is in the Valerian tribe Valerianoideae of the honeysuckle family Caprifoliaceae, of the order Dipsacales. It's closely related to Valeriana and Centranthus. Have you grown any other species in that tribe like Nordostachys jatamansi or species in Fedia? I see that Nordostachys jatamansi is called Spikenard. Our native Aralia racemosa is also called Spikenard, but it is in an entirely different order, Apiales. It seems to be used to make perfume and is quite beautiful. Fedia species are called sea blushes. Ive been growing only 1 Valeriana officinalis plant for a few years, and it has bloomed for a few years, but it doesnt make seeds. Do I need to plant another unrelated Valerian to get seed production? I also want to try growing the native Large Flowered Valerian, Valeriana pauciflora again. My Golden Alexanders, Taenidia integerrima and dill have yellow umbells, so I don't need Patrinia to have yellow umbells. Totally off topic but do you grow Sheep's Bit, or is it growing wild in East Anglia? It grows in southwestern England too. I think it's prettier than Scabiosa and Chickory.

Large Flowered Valerian, Valeriana pauciflora

• 26 days ago

I grow something called jasione perennis - sometimes called sheep's bit scabious. Never heard of fedia - sea blush sounds lovely. Our native wildflowers are somewhat limited - because of glaciation and island isolation, so I have never really delved into jst growing natives. I am mostly just keen to grow things...and doing it from seed is the best for me because I am not really interested in fancy hybrids and I can afford to save, forage or even buy seeds.

• 25 days ago

I was wondering what was going on for you with your valerian, Jay. I don't understand why yours is not making seed. They certainly don't need to cross pollinate with another plant to make viable seed -mine is full of it right now. Are you looking for the right thing? They are small, yellowish, oval seed with a little furry pappus(?). Not too unlike centaurea annua but the fibres at one end are much finer - like willowherb.

0