Shop Products

Help with front garden design

Hi i am trying to redesign the front garden to achieve more a established look

Currently my garden looks not interesting as there is no different in height or shape and also exposing the ugly black pipe on the exterior wall

i was thinking of putting yew at the very back and plant flowers perennials in front

1. should i remove the cedar tree on the right? and put purple leaf sand cherry?
  2. Where would be the good place to plant Japanese maple tree? I was thinking in the middle of lawn on red dot of last photo or maybe better with spot in front of cedar tree?
  3. Edging and design ideas- redline looks ok?

1. Where to put hostas?
  2. Generally do you put same plants next to each other?

• 22 days ago

What is location?? Hard to give plant suggestions when we don't know your climate. Alsao your local nursery (not big box store) can be very helpful with plant selection and design.

• 22 days ago

I'm guessing Toronto, Canada from the bilingual label and Sheridan's nurseries.

• 22 days ago

Yes its in toronto.

I am asking more in design aspect…

• 22 days ago

Should you remove the cedar on the right? No.

The red dot is a good place for your maple. You may want to think about views that you want to make/keep/block from your windows. As in, you would rather see the maple than the road or you want to keep an existing view or you want to block an existing view. So, think about that when locating the maple. I'd shift it a bit left to keep a clearer view of the door.

Does the red line look okay? I would have the bump out on the left, not the right. That would allow you to put your sand cherry to the front right of your cedar.

Do you generally put the same plants together? You want a certain mass of plants. One of this and one of that sprinkled around can be incoherent. You need more for a mass with smaller plants.

Where to put the hostas? I'd put them at the edge of your bed. You could put them under your maple, too.

Notes:

Hostas tend to like shade, the sand cherry likes full sun.

Do you want to preserve light to your basement window? If so, that's going to make a difference to your bed.

Pay attention to mature height when siting your plants.

I do not think the cedar there is good and not mention they grow huge so close to the house not a good plan. I think what you have now is too much for the front of the house ,I think more foundation type plantings near the house and I like the idea of the japanese maple in the center of the lawn. The black pipe painted the same color as the house will help make it disappear. A ice curved walkawy fro the street would also allow some nice landscaping along it Hostas do best in a bit f shade so what direction does the house face .

• 21 days ago

What JCK910 suggested. seek help from a LOCAL independent nursery. Rethink the red line shape. I play around with shapes for planting areas using a garden hose.

Here are a few ideas:

The basement window is there. There is a flower pot in front of it.

• 20 days ago

I have been looking for the ”ugly black pipe.” Where is it?

• 20 days ago

Running above the basement windows.

• 19 days ago

Ah, Dig Doug just photoshopped out the basement window.

• 19 days ago

Your ideas are headed in the right direction! Here's my take:

- Yew at the back will provide a great backdrop and privacy.

- Flowers and perennials in front will add a beautiful layer of color and texture.

- Swapping the cedar tree for a purple leaf sand cherry will add a stunning pop of color and create a beautiful focal point.

- The Japanese maple tree would be breathtaking in either location you mentioned! Placing it in the middle of the lawn (red dot) would create a striking centerpiece, while planting it in front of the cedar tree (if you decide to keep it) would create a lovely framing effect.

- The red line concept for edging and design looks great! I would also suggest incorporating some natural stone or brick elements to complement the plants and add visual interest.

Overall, your design direction is solid. With these changes, your front garden will transform into a beautiful, established oasis that boosts your home's curb appeal!"

Let me know if you need any further assistance!

• 19 days ago

Oh I see the black pipe now! It’s not really noticeable, but if it bugs you just paint it. Is the foundation brick? Just paint the pipe the color of the brick.

• 19 days ago

Always well informed ideas, simply natural.