Software
Houzz Logo Print
dmilk

Would you recommend Black entertainment center?

13 years ago
Here is my current couch in a dark gray color. The chair is a beige and I have a white fireplace. Where the dark brown entertainment center is I plan on REPLACING it with a black entertainment and matching coffee table/ottoman or end tables. Does this color scheme work?
THank you

Here is the black entertainment center I am considering.
http://www.wayfair.com/popups/media_viewer_images.php?sku=WON1049

Comments (40)

  • 13 years ago
    I would go with a cherry color wood.
  • 13 years ago
    ok, ugh...Can I ask why Cherry? That piece is so old and was looking to purchase something new. I was thinking Black with white photo frames, since I have a white fireplace with Black picture frames. Is black too modern or masculine looking?
    Thank you!
  • 13 years ago
    I think the black is fine. You've got more than enough cherry already in the room.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you. Well all the cherry furniture would be gone and replaced with black. That is my question. Do many people use black today. Thinking black entertainment center/black coffee table. Would match couch legs and picture frames on walls.
  • 13 years ago
    Black entertainment unit is nice. I like black and think a lot of people use that color. I have black coffee table and end tables but do want to get away from the matched look! :)
    dmilk thanked unwantedadvice
  • 13 years ago
    Plus, I like the pillow choices on chair/chaise and chair color matches color in tile fireplace surround.
    dmilk thanked unwantedadvice
  • 13 years ago
    Rather than spend major bucks on a new entertainment center why not just paint the one you have black? What do you have to lose?
  • 13 years ago
    I think this is the look I am going for. thoughts?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The black one's beautiful. Hopefully you can use this one elsewhere or find it a nice new home.
  • 13 years ago
    leelee, the current tv is so small. We could put that TV in our bedroom, purchase an entertainment center that is more modern and holds a larger TV.
  • 13 years ago
    Why cherry. Well there are different shades of cherry. I see the design on your fireplace mantle and think traditional. Black is modern. I agree with painting the present one black if you really want it.
  • 13 years ago
    dmilk, if you want to go with something like that, look at Ikea in the Hemnes collection. I'll post a pick of mine but my silver is tarnished so please excuse!!! Also, the narrow cabinets come with lower part solid now. :)
  • 13 years ago
    Love this one!
    unwantedadvice - Will also check IKEA, were you happy with the quality from IKEA?
  • 13 years ago
    Yes it would work. In a coffee table go round.24" The rectangle one is not working with the L shape sofa. Some window roman shades on all windows, go dark gray like sofa. Like the gray/yellow pillows. On ent. Center add a few yellow accents. Also de clutter mantel. No more than 3 small things on it. Remove all items from wall by TV center, not needed. In fact remove all small items from walls. If roman shades are not in budget. Go black bamboo shades, on all windows. And panels on ends of windows.find a yellow, gray, black stripe for panels. Like in yr pillow. Ck with Bed, Bath n beyond for panels. Hang on black rod.
  • 13 years ago
    Put family pic on mantel in a bedroom.
  • 13 years ago
    I think you have to be careful with black. Done well it can look stunning but done cheaply and it smacks of the eighties (which is probably fine for the youngsters but not so good for those of us who remember it from first time around)
  • 13 years ago
    Remove basket chest. To cluttered on that wall.
  • 13 years ago
    Yes, was very happy! My husband did have trouble installing doors though. You can purchase the black/brown color, looks pretty much like black.
  • 13 years ago
    I would love to see family pic by sofa in hallway we see. Group on that wall. Then on wall place a 45" sunburst mirror hang low. Z Galleries, TJMax carry nice ones.
  • 13 years ago
    Nothing on top of new media. Keep it uncluttered and simple.
  • 13 years ago
    Ikea sells round black coffee tables. Good price. And media centers.
  • 13 years ago
    travisinteriors, thank you so much for all of advice. The basket chest hides all of the kids toys, its needed I have 3 young ones. OH NO is black back from the 80's?? I def. don't want that? What about white entertainment center is I choose to get different couch color. I have the option to move the current gray couch to our loft area. So no Family picture collage? only on upstairs wall? This is what I have on our upstairs wall.
    Thanks for all your help
  • 13 years ago
    For sure get a bigger 50" or bigger TV. That one is meant for smaller room, you have the room size for one over 50". Don't hang on wall.
  • 13 years ago
    What if this was a blank slate, what colors or how would you design. I have the option to paint, get new furniture/entertainment center. I can move the current furtniture to our loft area which has nothing right now.
    Would you go tan or gray furniture? I guess skys the limit if I start over and thought I would gather expert advice! Thanks!
  • 13 years ago
    travisinteriors, yes I need drapes and planned on having custom made from top window to floor. The room has such high ceilings which is nice but hard to décor.
  • 13 years ago
    I have a love/hate relationship with Ikea. I NEVER go on the weekend, like a cattle drive-very hard to break free! And once you get in, boy, is it ever hard to make your way out. You have to know all the "shortcuts" they supply. But for the most part I like their stuff. Not sure if I would buy on-line, it's super heavy stuff so I would assume shipping would be pricey? :)
  • 13 years ago
    The picture you posted of the look you are going for is great. I would go with the black for the entertainment center but not the end or coffee tables. Maybe silver or gray for those.
  • 13 years ago
    I think a large black entertainment center will look rather heavy and stark. If you want dark, which is probably a good idea because it would provide a dark background for TV viewing, why not go with brown-black, as someone suggested, or dark brown. Your room is beautiful and the windows are great. I wonder if an entertainment center with cabinet doors or sliding doors wouldn't look better that one with open cabinet spaces, given that you are getting a lot of pattern from the window muntins and the framed photos on the wall above the couch.
  • 13 years ago
    The black one would look fine ... but it could look better.

    Suggesting something without a top ledge ... this one is from Crate & Barrel

    You could have a colorful piece of art and loose all the chachkies ..
  • 13 years ago
    Your room is calling for walnut. Not stained but the natural walnut. Slightly cool, slightly warm, dark but not over powering black. Goes great with neutral, grays, beige, brows and off whites.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Here's a suggestion: forget the entertainment center and put the tv on the wall, then move over the unit that has the square baskets in it to be under the tv. Put floating shelves on the walls either side of the tv. Save yourself some money as well as don't overcrowd the room with another big bulky piece of furniture.
  • 13 years ago
    I have been in so many discussions about fireplaces, and how to do TV's. I think what affects a rooms appearance is too many small, or just too many acessories that just make the room looked cluttered. I have started suggesiting on fireplace re-dos, to not even put a mantle up. When you have one, you feel the need to fill it up. The same thing goes for TV's and entertainment centers.

    I've seen people struggling with adding art to a wall that has a TV on a stand that's too small, and it never looks good. You have to have some kind of center large enough to contain the TV so it makes sense, looks proportionate to the wall so it doesn't look like something is missing, but please, as travisinteriors suggests, no more than three things. Christopher Lowell, an awsome designer, had a cable show15 years ago, and he used to call little things on mantles, shelves, and sprinkled around the room, "room dandruff". I think the black will look good, as long as we keep it uncluttered. Good choice.
  • 13 years ago
    Personally, I would not use a black entertainment center since it would make the room darker and therefore feel more closed in. I like the idea of a beech-wood colored entertainment center, since it seems that it would be lighter colored and have the modern/contemporary look you sound like you are seeking.
  • 13 years ago
    You could go with an expresso wood color and not a solid black... The wood grain will give you more texture but you will get the nice contrast that is very appealing...
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Is your personal style (style goal) as traditional as your home appears? Your mantel is traditional white and your trim is white. Black can be heavy...especially a single large piece on the wall. If you're keeping the current style & color scheme, why not go with white and add additional shelving, attached to the wall to give the appearance of custom built-ins? It would amp up the scale, avoiding a fussy feel. It would keep the room brighter and airier. As built-ins, it would add value to your home, blend with the style of current home style your better than black (assuming your style is as traditional as your home!). You can still bring in the black touches with a coffee table and accessory items.

    Here's a HOUZZ example:
    Farinelli Construction Inc · More Info


    You can re-purpose some of the storage bins you already have and lose the smaller shelving unit. Also, if you don't want the family pics on the wall, they can be worked into the new unit. You can still watch your costs, by utilizing IKEA if you like their stuff. They have nice features like the cut away on the bottom back of the cabinets that allow for "permanent" installation.

    If you really want black, make sure you bring in a couple of other larger scale black pieces to balance the space!
  • 13 years ago
    Pamela Sandall Design, you are so right about the white! I did the same thing in my l/r. I have white plantation shutters, white doors, as well as all woodwork white. When I bought mine, my daughter could not figure out why I wanted white, since I have black coffee and lamp tables( which I have come to not wanting anymore). I did tell dmilk to get black originally, not even thinking about my own decision to buy white! :))
  • 10 years ago
    I love the idea of a black unit. Be aware however, that black is a dust magnet.