I winter sowed Cowpen Daisy (verbesina encelioides) last year and only had one seedling that grew very fast and produced hundreds if not thousands of flowers on a single plant in a mass all the way until frost. It was the size of a small shrub. I have quite a few volunteers even though I deadheaded it a lot and I'm trying to decide whether I'll feel guilty if I give them to family and friends. I look at them every time I go out to weed and wonder if I should kill them or do a mass planting. As big as they get, it wouldn't take many. But I wonder if I would regret it later. There's no way I could keep them deadheaded. Sooo many flowers. It seems like a too good to be true plant. lol
I'm skeptical because it seems to be so easy to grow and yet I never see it for sale at nurseries anywhere.
I planted it for butterflies for the nectar and it's also a host plant for the Bordered Patch.
For anyone that's grown it, how far do the volunteers spread? Do you find them all over your yard via the birds or does it only come up where the seeds fall?
Jay 6a Chicago
christie_sw_moOriginal Author
Related Professionals
Brunswick Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Texarkana Landscape Contractors · Lynchburg Landscape Contractors · Omaha Landscape Contractors · Waycross Architects & Building Designers · Branson Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Evanston Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Selma Landscape Contractors · New London Landscape Contractors · Santa Rosa Landscape Contractors · Vancouver Landscape Contractors · Washington Home Builders · Amherst Home Builders · Manchester Home Builders · Mansfield Home Builderschristie_sw_moOriginal Author
Jay 6a Chicago