Software
Houzz Logo Print
shea_stewart100

Stair Runner Color

12 months ago
last modified: 12 months ago

Based on the color scheme I’ve chosen for my house (pictures attached), do you think this is the best color option for a stair runner?

Also, I’m torn between a waterfall style or an upholstered runner—does anyone have experience with either option?

I have 4 dogs and my stairs are in a 100+ year old house, so they aren’t perfectly level. I need something durable that won’t show wear easily, and I’d prefer a pattern or material that helps disguise imperfections rather than highlight them. Any recommendations for carpet material or style I should focus on before I start looking at samples?













Comments (48)

  • 12 months ago
    last modified: 12 months ago

    I call it a Hollywood runner, but regardless, I would choose the upholstered rather than waterfall. More labor, but a more attractive finish. I think more durable too, especially with pets.

    I would choose a neutral with a subdued pattern like this.


  • 12 months ago

    @Lyn Nielson thank you! Love that look.

  • 12 months ago

    Your house is pretty neutral ... I would go with the Antelope!

    My Houzz: Smith Residence · More Info


    Foyer · More Info


  • 12 months ago

    Shea, have you considered a custom cut and bound indoor/outdoor rug? Check out this site...when it says custom it is, indeed, custom. Find the rug you like; you get about 5 inquiries about what you want for your specific need. I went in, looking for stain resistance, claw defense, etc because of the dogs. It is worth a look as there are some wonderful patterns and colors. I think I found one for me! I have one dog and one husband...guess who make the bigger mess?

    https://www.ernestarugs.com/shop-custom-rugs


  • 12 months ago

    Thanks, @User! I’ve actually ordered samples from Ernesta before and really liked their patterns, so it’s great to hear you had a good experience. Your comment about your dog and husband made me laugh—I’ve got 4 dogs and a wife, so now you’ll have to guess who makes the bigger mess!” 🐾😅

  • 12 months ago

    That's easy, Shea. YOU! Although your home looks lovely, especially with four dogs. One never knows what one may have picked up and swallowed when on a walk. But, it's not a secret for long...right?

  • 12 months ago

    Shea, I’m not sure this is any help but your post made me remember it. Here’s a link and pic of the runner she chose.

    Choosing Stair Runner


  • PRO
    12 months ago

    I wouldn't get a light colored runner like your mock-up, not with 4 dogs.

    Something with a pattern would work better--the antelope (or any other animal print) is great for stairs and they don't show dirt as much as a solid color, especially a light one. Stripes are also great.

    Black and tan stripes work great:

    This persian style carpet in updated colors is so pretty:



  • 10 months ago

    Here are some mockups of different patterns. I'm leaning towards a subtle herringbone in either a grey/tan/beige type color.


    Thoughts on any of these?







  • PRO
    10 months ago

    Of the ones you posted, the animal print would be my choice. Or something with some real color. The beige/tan/gray runners seem so blah to me, but I love color.

  • 10 months ago

    Beige/tan/gray trend too col for the warm wood tones of the stairs. Search for similar pattern in warmer tones.

  • 10 months ago

    The black polka dots sure are cute but might be dizzy-making for me walking down the steps—- not sure why I get that feeling.

  • 10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

    Consider a pattern/design/colors that connects with the adjacent rooms’ features and your style. Also suggest choosing a high grade under padding as it will prolong the runner’s lifespan.








  • 10 months ago

    Thank you for the direction! I am going back to the carpet store today to see some real life samples. I will post.

  • PRO
    10 months ago

    I love that colorful striped runner that Maureen posted.

  • 10 months ago

    Okay. Here are some samples I collected at my local carpet store. I'm leaning lighter in color over dark. I think I like the Lucine, Aras, and Turin the best. Thoughts?










  • 10 months ago

    Here are some AI mockups. They're not great representations of the actual swatches, but they give you an idea…







  • 10 months ago

    I think I'm liking a vertical striped pattern the best.

  • 10 months ago

    No one has mentioned it and even tho you say you are leaning light, I think a dark blue the color used in some of your rooms would be stunning on your stairs.

    Or maybe a blue trim:


  • 10 months ago

    @Olychick I completely agree — it looks great and really pops against the wood. My only hesitation is that I already have a navy accent wall, a navy area rug, a navy doormat, and even navy wallpaper in the bathroom, plus other navy accents like pillows and pottery. I feel like adding a navy runner might finally push it over the edge.

  • 10 months ago

    I don't think it's too much and is a cohesive accent through all your rooms. More beige would push me over the edge, lol!

  • 10 months ago

    This one is listed as "ink", but I feel like it has some blue undertones that tie in with my space without being too in-your-face navy or blue…






  • 10 months ago

    Yes to including blue but prefer it as part of the pattern, either the ink ”messy plaid” above or wondering if that charcoal-gray-tan stripe comes in a blue colorway.

  • 10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

    I mocked up the Prestige Aras on my stairs to get a sense of how it would look. The pattern and texture are somewhat similar to my drapes on the first floor. I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing — they’re not in the same room, but you can still see both from the stairs. Do you think it looks cohesive or too busy?








  • 10 months ago

    Here are some of the other color options. Now that I see "Canyon", that may be a better choice. It actually pulls multiple colors in from my room.





  • 10 months ago

    Here is the Canyon mocked up…



  • PRO
    10 months ago

    Sorry but they're all so blah. I don't see "multiple colors" in the last one you posted.

    If you're not into real colors, and want to do a neutral, get one that mimics sisal or seagrass and edge it in black.


    Rugs · More Info


  • 10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

    Of all that have been posted, this is my favorite. It's all personal preference, of course, but the striped rugs to me are too reminiscent of the awful striped indoor/outdoor rugs people used on their porches in the past. But you're probably too young to remember those!


    I think this is interesting without being too too, a little blue, but not too much, the pattern doesn't look like it would make the steps difficult to navigate, etc.

  • 10 months ago

    @Diana Bier Interiors, LLC


    Thank you for the feedback — I really appreciate the perspective. I actually love the sisal/seagrass look too, and I may explore that option if this swatch doesn’t work out. I think my Photoshop mockup isn’t very accurate; the pattern came out much smaller and tighter than it really is. The actual swatch has a lot more warmth, texture, and variation to it. I have a larger sample on the way so I can see it in person. I added a close-up of it to my mood board and it works nicely there, but it’s always so hard to know for sure until you can see it in the space!





  • PRO
    10 months ago

    A closeup isn’t helpful-you won’t ever be viewing the runner that close. You’ll always be at least 4-6 feet away, so that’s how you make the decision.

  • PRO
    10 months ago

    But at this point get what you like

  • 10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

    I wouldn’t advise a “loop” type weave with dogs, their nails can pull it.
    I have an animal print ( leopard) on my stairs- it is now time to replace it- but it has been down for 20 years- with children, dogs, cats, etc., at this point it owes me nothing and hid a multitude of sins. It is a neutral with personality

  • 10 months ago

    @Diana Bier Interiors, LLC do you like the Prestige Mills Lorimar in Prussia? It has a softer, more relaxed blue that isn’t too in-your-face navy. I think it could work really well because the muted tone blends nicely with the other blues in my home without feeling heavy or overwhelming.







  • PRO
    10 months ago

    It’s very pretty but I can’t really determine the color. In some photos it looks brighter and in others it looks grayer.if you like the way it looks with your furnishings then go for it.

  • 8 months ago

    Thank you for all the recommendations. I ended up going with this one after weighing many options. It will be upholstered and gets installed later this month. I will post pictures once it's completed.





  • 8 months ago

    Love that! And what a joy to watch the whole process unfold. Cheers to all of you.

  • 8 months ago

    Looks great!what software do you use for your mockups?

  • 8 months ago

    We tore out the decades-old stair carpeting with the intention of replacing it in time. But after living with the wood alone and it's charming flaws, we kept them bare. With a radiator at the base of the stairs, it doesn't feel cold, and keeping the debris and visual busyness down is priceless. The key is to never use an oil based cleaner so those wood steps keep their traction.

  • 8 months ago

    Judging from the photos of your home you have a wonderful taste. I’m glad you trusted your gut and went with what felt good to you. It is a great choices and hopefully you will enjoy it for many years to come.

  • 8 months ago

    I LOVE it! And we are currently looking for the same solutions for our home with dogs (love your spaniel? I think). I would not have even looked at what you chose and am now going to look at it for our home. It's gorgeous. Enjoy your new carpet

  • 8 months ago

    I had not previously noticed the pretty wallpaper in your powder room. Your home is beautifully cohesive!

  • 8 months ago

    Please - Use common sense - NO carpet runner. . . unless you paint one on. . . . Carpet is one of the worst inventions of mankind and on stairs where difficult to clean and vacuum is a real stupid place for carpet.

  • PRO
    8 months ago

    I would never have bare stairs--they are slippery for children and adults, especially if you walk in socks. Not hard to clean at all.

    And anyway, the OP already installed a new runner and is happy with it,

  • 8 months ago

    Based on the pics, I think it's a good choice.

    - blended a good portion of the colors throughout your home. Even the dark tones.

    - if you have elderly who visit, or partake in adult beverages, the pattern adds enough contrast to see where one step begins & ends.


  • 8 months ago

    I’m new decorator but I know what I don’t like and I know what I do like I absolutely love this

  • 8 months ago

    Absolute perfection!!! You picked the perfect runner for your beautiful home ♥️ Great job, Mr. Shea!

  • 8 months ago

    looks beautiful, great choice!