Software
Houzz Logo Print
susanrcope

Window coverings?

13 years ago
What should I do to soften the look of these windows without imparing the view? I was thinking of doing Roman shades and mounting them up to the ceiling and just always keeping them "up" having them more like a valance. Previously we had blinds but I always kept them up so there was no point. Someone else suggested woven wooden blinds. If I do some kind of cloth, what colors/pattern should I choose? Thank you for any advice you may have.

Comments (31)

  • 13 years ago
    Helpful suggestions for the light over the sink would be appreciated as well. I just got something cheap from the hardware store and stuck up there until I could find the perfect one for the perfect price.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I think I would get some plywood and four bookshelf brackets. Cover the plywood in quilt padding and a fabric you love. Attach the bracket to the wall/ceiling and attach the plywood/fabric boards and make a cornice from the ceiling to just barely past the edge of the top of the window. Basically, a simple cornice box. I like your cute little pendant above the sink. I'd remove the out of place track light and install another can light there.
    Susan Cope thanked Darzy
  • 13 years ago
    Similar to what I had in mind...Simple boxes, just above the window.
    Street of Dreams PDX 2011 · More Info
    Susan Cope thanked Darzy
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hi Susan...I know you said "soften", but wondering if a couple of narrow floating shelves to match cabinets, decorated with some vibrant colored vases, bowls, collectibles you may have and love? Maybe even some live cacti or other small plants mixed in? Or some vibrant art...or plates. Use your imagination..and do something that reflects your personality and makes you smile!

    I agree with Darzy regarding track light and installing can light. Maybe change small pendant light for a larger one. Here are a couple of modern ideas. They provide nice work light, but don't blind anyone.
    Susan Cope thanked User
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Darzy, I am even stumped as to what material to get. My problem is that I like so many things that I tend to be all over the board. I have BEAUTIFUL quartz countertops (Canterbury / Cambria) with tans, grays, browns, blacks and copper flakes floating in it (hence not much budget left). It tends to be "busy" however so I am pretty sure that I don't want a small print material. The color on the walls was chosen prior to getting the cabinets, countertops and flooring in (due to an inexperienced, hyper hubby who wanted to paint before it was in so he wouldn't make a mess). I am kind of leaning toward grey and yellow material but then it tends to leave out the blacks and browns. My previous house's kitchen had browns and deep reds (like the towels on the dishwasher - not married to the color scheme, just needed some towels to use.)

    Kaarisa, I love the modern vibe of the lights you shared. They would have to hang pretty high being that wide however since it comes directly over the sink (hubby already kind of konks his head now with the little one when he uses the sink to get his coffee water). The idea of a floating shelf intrigues me however, I am not a fan of things that will collect dust and be a constant source of irritation for me to keep clean in a hard to reach area. Maybe I am not getting an idea of what you mean.

    In our defense, the track light makes sense if you see the entire ceiling because we have a matching one on the other side.
  • 13 years ago
    Your kitchen looks relatively modern. If you are always going to keep the window treatment up, I am assuming you don't need it for privacy. I would personally leave them bare. I don't think they look naked without anything and a valance or cornice doesn't seem like it suits the style of your kitchen (just from this small photo).
    Susan Cope thanked User
  • 13 years ago
    Woven shades. Lowes carries nice ones.
    Susan Cope thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • 13 years ago
    You're right, sam0705, we really don't need window coverings for privacy and we are going relatively modern (transitional). It just feels to me that the little bit of wall above the windows seems too stark and uninviting. Perhaps all I need is a saying or something simple like that?

    Woven shades have been a consideration of mine, travisinteriors. I still struggle with exactly what color to go with since we have two tones of wood in the kitchen. Even at that, I would leave them up all of the time so I don't know how attractive they would be that way. (Sadly we don't have a Lowes nearby)
  • 13 years ago
    Susanrcope...The best idea would be to replace the windows with counter to ceiling windows. :) Then, no treatment at all. It's not all that hard to install a larger window. :) Can you justify? Like..hey we need more efficient windows...triple pane. ;)
    Susan Cope thanked Darzy
  • 13 years ago
    Here are some other shots of the kitchen in various stages of completeness.
  • 13 years ago
    Tall windows...(the more I think about it, I like the no treatment at all idea.)
    Kitchen · More Info

    Lake of Bays Cottage 2 · More Info

    Lake Country Builders · More Info
    Susan Cope thanked Darzy
  • 13 years ago
    Darzy, the thought of replacing the windows with ones to the ceiling makes my mouth water. I really didn't know we could go that route or I would have had hubby do it in the reno. For the time being we are stuck with what we have but I am going to keep that one in mind for later down the line when hubby isn't so busy with other projects.
  • 13 years ago
    Yes, I know what you mean! I had my kitchen window enlarged by lowering the sill, but I should have made it taller too! BTW..do you open the windows much? It would look best without the screens and a sparkling clean view would look awesome..and no window treatments.
    Susan Cope thanked Darzy
  • 13 years ago
    Pendant could use a color. Many to choose from.
  • 13 years ago
    BTW...great job on the renovation! Good hubby. :)
    Susan Cope thanked Darzy
  • 13 years ago
    Your kitchen is modern. Ikea has some great pendant lights. Window cover, when not needed for privacy are a decor item. So go a modern graphics design in a color. You need a little. Then use that color around room in accessories. Mix with stainless.
    Susan Cope thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • 13 years ago
    Good job on kitchen. Great choices. You have a eye. Trust yourself.
    Susan Cope thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • 13 years ago
    It looks like there is a more substantial molding around the windows in the adjacent room? For me the problem is not that the window looks bare but, like what Darzy is saying, the space above the window is too large. I am wondering if beefing up the molding would help with that. (I personally don't have a problem with a larger molding in a more modern kitchen especially if it would match the moldings in the rest of the house).
    I did "like" Kelli's suggestion though :)
    Susan Cope thanked User
  • 13 years ago
    All great ideas. Thanks everyone! This is a great help to me.

    Darzy, we do open the windows since we live on the coast. It regulates the temperature. I agree a nice clean sparkling view would be best. I'm ashamed of how dirty the widows are but I wanted to get a pic of the corner on this site.

    Travisinteriors, a pendant light with color could give me what I am craving so far as some interest in the room. Committing to a color is my dilemma. At least with that, it can be changed when I no longer like that color.

    Kelli, The picture with the Roman shade really helps me visualize how that would be there. Having them clear up to the ceiling gives the illusion of the windows being all the way to the top.

    Thank you to those who complimented our reno job. With a tight budget it was a lot of work getting the look AND price we wanted. I agree I have a "good hubby." He tries his best to get me what I want. The countertops were an absolute splurge but I am so glad that we did it because they are gorgeous!
  • 13 years ago
    sam0705 you have a valid point. The room next to the kitchen isn't renovated in that picture. That is in line on our list of projects. We went with the stuff that we just couldn't live with and got that done first. The kitchen was horrible with 18" x 18" textured tiles on the counter top and the grout wearing away from that. The cabinets were so few and not functional at all. Anyway, I digress. Maybe some substantial molding around the windows could give us the desired look. It is hard to see in the picture but we did put in a window sill out of necessity because the installers for the countertop cut it crooked against the wall so we had to come up with something to cover that up. At the time there were only two slabs of that countertop in the nation since the company was expanding and not in production. We would have had to have a LONG wait to have them redo it and we had already waited a long time. After hubby got it all done, I liked the look anyway so it was a blessing in disguise. Perhaps we could carry that molding up and around the windows.
  • 13 years ago
    susanrcope...Oh no! I didn't mean your windows are dirty! I meant that without screens it doesn't obstruct any view and brings the most light in. I use my window screen in the kitchen window as well and must stay. :(
    Susan Cope thanked Darzy
  • 13 years ago
    I didn't mean to let you think you gave me that impression. I am just really concious of the dirt around here because it is a construction zone. Sorry to make you think I was offended or that you gave the wrong impression. My windows do make me sad how I can't seem to keep up with them. Anyway, YES!!!! an unobstructed view is paramount!!! The one screen is set up to open and use as a "pass through" from the outside so we just kept that for the time being. There are ledges under the windows outside for parties. We are trying to decide if we want to keep that idea or not. The current ones are not that attractive.
  • 13 years ago
    Roman blinds (fake or full length, but start them right at the ceiling. Go to a fabric store Nd look at fabrics you like and work with the rest of your house then take home some swatches OR take some pictures with you and some swatches of fabric already in your house to the store and I bet they will help you at the fabric store.
    Susan Cope thanked dcsharke
  • 13 years ago
    With the wonderful visual that Kelli provided it made me realize that I would feel claustrophobic in that space. I will keep the bare look and change my pendant light to something with more "life" to it. Also, I think I will either beef up the windows with molding OR try some art or something above the windows. So now I begin my hunt and see what I come up with. Thank you all for your help an if there are any more suggestions I am open.
  • 13 years ago
    I'm not sure which part of the country you live in, but do you need any insulation on those windows at night to keep out the cold? If so, the Roman shade suggestion could work if done with a block out backing. It's amazing the difference it can make.
    Susan Cope thanked Catherine Giesige
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you cathieg. We live on the Central Coast of California. There isn't much need to "keep out the cold" here. Besides the largest window is South facing and the other smaller one faces East. We get beautiful sunlight in the winter pretty much all of the time. Anyway, your point is valid in many areas and I appeicate you thinking about that.
  • 13 years ago
    I live in Western Australia with a climate similar to yours, and I didn't put a window treatment on my kitchen either. I have a covered patio with a lovely garden outside my window and I can enjoy that while I wash dishes :-)
    Susan Cope thanked Catherine Giesige
  • 13 years ago
    I'm excited to know that I am conversing with someone from Australia. Being in the Southern hemisphere your seasons are opposite ours, correct? You must be headed into some warm weather pretty soon. I know of places on the East coast of Australia but am not familiar with the West coast. Nice to meet you and thanks again for taking time to comment.
  • 13 years ago
    It's so nice to live in a global village, thanks to the www. We are having very unseasonal weather here ATM, as it is spring but it has rained and been quite cold everyday for about the past month. Normally, we are wearing our t-shirts in the first weeks of spring.
    I'm born and raised here, but met and married my husband while he was serving in the USN. Two of our children were born during the five years we lived in San Diego, after which time we moved to Perth and had two more children and have lived here since. We are planning a trip back next summer (June/July) to visit my husbands family in Ohio, friends and family in WA and, possibly, a stop in New York. I'd prefer San Francisco, but have never been to NYC.
    Now you have my life story :-).....enjoy your lovely kitchen and the unobstructed view out the window. We finished our home renovations this year and are soon to start on the gardens...just waiting for the rain to stop!
    Susan Cope thanked Catherine Giesige
  • 13 years ago
    Here on the Central Coast we are headed to our "summer" weather where it is usually sunny all day and temps can get up to 100 degrees but they are only like that for about an hour and then rapidly cool off and days like that may be for a week at the most. The temp will stay in the 80s for these two months. That's why we decided to retire here. One it is affordable and two the weather is most agreeable, like always being on vacation. I should say that it is affordable here if you buy a "fixer upper" which we did. When you DIY it takes a little more time but at least you get what you want for the price you want. So nice to meet you here. Hopefully the rain will cooperate and you can work on your garden. I have to pull myself by the scruff of the neck to go out and do gardening. Not my favorite thing to do.
Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County