Software
Houzz Logo Print
mayreebelle

Help with dining room lighting!

13 years ago
Hi. My huge dining room window is off center of the room because previous owners took 24" from the right hand side of room to put a fireplace I the adjacent room. I centered the dining table in the room to make use of space but then the chandelier was not centered over table. I had contractor remove ceiling light and put in cans. The cans on the perimeter of the room are also going to be removed and I will be left with the 4 cans on the diagonal. I really miss the chandelier over the table. So... Contractor said he can get rid of cans and put ceiling light back question is should it be put in center of room which will be off from the center of that window or should it be in center of window and not centered over dining table? Or should I just stick with 4 cans and no chandelier? whew! Thanks!

Comments (16)

  • 13 years ago
    I like the idea of a chandelier centered over the table, but I do understand your dilemma. Could you put a buffet or china cabinet on the left-hand wall, thus taking up some of the unequal space. That should allow the table to move to the right and maybe be centered in front of the windows? It appears that you have a cabinet on the right wall, does that have to stay there?
  • 13 years ago
    If I understand the situation correctly you should center the table with the windows and the chandelier should be centered over the table. Even though the windows aren't in the middle of the room aligning everything with the windows will give a better balance. Add a palm tree in a nice ceramic pot in the corner with more wall space to give the illusion of a more equal space.

    Love your shutters! Keep the chandelier simple. If you decide to add a rug it should also be centered under the table.
  • 13 years ago
    From the pictures it looks like you have more space on the left end of the room, is that right? You're smart to remove cans. They add nothing to a dining room.
    mayreebelle thanked leelee
  • 13 years ago
    Can you try centering the table with the window and show us a pic, please? Looks like you might have a large armoire, can you show pics of the other walls?
    mayreebelle thanked leelee
  • 13 years ago
    I think the light fixture should be centered in front of the windows, even if the table is not. If you can switch to a round table, or a different sized table, maybe it will fit better, or not be so noticeably off center.
    mayreebelle thanked User
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks for all of the feedback. Here are more pictures. I have now centered the table as I had always had it but it really makes for wasted space on the left side of the room by the armoire which is also an entryway. I need a buffet on the right end of the table (there now are just left over cabinets). But I entertain a lot and need places for food. Also, I will prob put a tv on right wall over buffet for when I have football parties. The doorway to the right leads to an eventual cozy den. And, I plan to get a bigger table. I do not want to cover the windows with curtains. There is no where else in house for huge armoire. Right side of table is too crowded to the wall when centered especially considering I will have bigger table. To the left of window is 53" and to right is 28". The cabinet/buffet there on the right is only 12". What to do? Also there is a base cabinet that is not staying but I couldn't move it for photo. Thanks in advance for bearing with me
  • 13 years ago
    BTW the curtains do not need to be closed to create the illusion. Best of luck on finding a solution. There are some clever houzzers out there sure something will click.
  • 13 years ago
    Very Good point. Thank you.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I think any chandelier should be centered on the window and the table should be centered under the chandelier.

    I understand your dilemma.

    In the lower left photo, could you put the buffet on the right side?
    mayreebelle thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • 13 years ago
    The buffet can't go to the right b/c that is a/c return and a short wall. Thanks.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I would recommend, then, forget the chandelier. Instead, use the can lighting.
    mayreebelle thanked CDR Design, LLC
  • 13 years ago
    What's in the armoire? You mentioned mounting the TV on the wall? If you do that why bother with a chandelier since it would probably be in somebody's view of the TV. Over table lighting should be 30 to 32 inches above the table.
    mayreebelle thanked leelee
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    As alternatives to can lighting, you could do something like this that gives you a little more style, yet doesn't block tv or accentuate that the room is "off"

    [houzz=
    Living Room with frameless Nana Doors by MGS architecture · More Info
    ]
  • 12 years ago
    mayreebelle, what did you end up doing?